Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many smokers out there?
Current smoker 14 12.39%
Former smoker, quit less than 5 years ago 10 8.85%
Former smoker, quit more than 5 years ago 39 34.51%
Refuse to answer on the grounds that it might tend to incriminate me... 3 2.65%
Never smoked 47 41.59%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I smoked from the time I started college (1954) until 1986 when I quit cold turkey. I was up to 2 1/2 packs a day. I tried to quit many times and never made it. Tried every method out there. One day I was at my doctors office reviewing blood work and I asked him to prescribe something for my high cholesterol. He proceeded to chew me out big, "you smoke that much and want me to do something about your cholestrol. No way! You don't care about yourself. You come back when you quit smoking and I'll give you something for the cholestrol." Told me that my bad habit would prevent me from ever reaching retirement age. I knew he was right. I was in a high stress job and the smoking didn't help. But, his rantings pissed me off and from the time I walked out of his office, I never took another drag. I was going to show him! It's probably my greatest accomplishment. I think I owe him my life. Congratulations to all those who quit and to those that never started. I have golf buddies that smoke and I can't believe I ever smelled like that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Started smoking Kools when I was 15 yo (that's what my parents smoked - quickly realized I preferred my mother's filtered cigs to my father's non-filtered). Quit cold turkey when I was 33 - was just tired of the cost (financial, social, health, etc.). I do miss the seemingly instantaneous way smoking reduced my levels of stress/anxiety - today I substitute exercise which works but takes much more effort.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I smoked since high school. When I turned 50 I tried to quit. Chewed the nicotine gum like it was going out of style. Would quit for a day every other month. This went on and on. I gave up. Resigned to the fact that I would die from smoking and that is just the way it is. I was reading a blog one day. The author of the blog said she quit from reading Alan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking". I bought the book, read it in one day. The book to me was simplistic and rather silly. but I quit after reading the book. My wife read the book. Quit the next day. My niece read the book, quit the next day. To this day I don't know how it happened. My wife says it was brainwashing. It was still difficult to quit.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am surprised at how many here smoke. If you count the "don't want to answer because it might incriminate me" vote, then at this point 14% smoke. Another 8% quit less than 5 years ago, and are likely to resume smoking (or that was my experience, anyway).

So that is 22% who have been smokers at some point during the past 5 years! Wow. I can't imagine how anyone could smoke any more while holding down a job. They make it so hard these days. At my work we have only a tiny covered area outside where smokers are allowed to congregate to smoke. They look so pitiful huddled there in the rain. They have 15 minutes of break time every 4 hours to smoke and/or do whatever else they need to do, like run to the bank or go for a walk. I quit smoking in 1977 but when I was a smoker was a lot easier.
So this sample is not much different from the USA population as a whole in 2007 according to the CDC.

Quote:
This report summarizes findings for 2007, which indicated that approximately 19.8% of adults were current smokers in 2007, a decrease of 1.0 percentage point from 2006 (20.8%) (2). Cigarette smoking has declined during the past 40 years among all sociodemographic subpopulations of adults; however, the declines during the past decade have been smaller than in previous decades. The proportion of current everyday smokers who made a quit attempt during the preceding year decreased 7.2 percentage points from 1993 (47.0%) to 2007 (39.8%). During 1993--2007, young adults (aged 18--24 years) consistently had the highest prevalence of quitting for >1 day during the preceding year (59.3% in 1993 and 53.1% in 2007).
Old 03-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I smoked for ~30 years. Never touched tobacco though. That stuff is nasty! I don't see the point of it. Like drinking near beer. yuk!

If the laws change I might start back up. Hey President Obama, $10B/year in taxes currently sliding right past the IRS. That could pay for a couple minutes of the stimulus package.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
smoking or quitting?
I don't wanna live until 95 like the rest of my family... We all gotta die of something
Old 03-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
I don't wanna live until 95 like the rest of my family... We all gotta die of something
But of all the ways to die, the deaths from lung cancer that I have witnessed places that way, way down the choice list for me. (Granted it has only been three but I am convinced nonetheless.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup, I watched my Mom die from lung cancer, not fun. I just want to wake up dead, I'm chicken.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #49

Lung cancer is only one way of dying from smoking. I've watched several family members die from throat cancer, lung disease, coronary failure etc. My Dad has been the "luckiest" but the last 6 years have been really miserable for him. He is 84 and rotting from the bottom up. He has Peripheral Artery Disease which is common among smokers and affects over 8M Americans. He has continual pain in his legs and can hardly walk. Because of the poor circulation in his legs they are wasting away, no hair, ulcers on the feet etc. His parents went through the same thing for the same reason but fortunately died before needing drastic measures such as amputation.

While still in in England I remember watching a documentary about it so this was about 25 years ago. They showed one old guy sitting in a wheelchair still smoking shortly after his second leg had been amputated. I guess the need to smoke knowing all different the nasty ways it can affect is just over whelming for many.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if Obama will stimulate a rise in smoking in America? Or even maybe around the world?

I guess it would be bad for public health, but good for tobacco stocks.

It's an ill wind...

Ha
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Yup, I watched my Mom die from lung cancer, not fun. I just want to wake up dead, I'm chicken.

Me too.

I smoked from age 13 to age 39, with maybe 3-4 years off of them. I'll never have another one.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am still smoking....half a pack a day habit.....did quit a couple of times but missed it so much.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I am still smoking....half a pack a day habit.....did quit a couple of times but missed it so much.
You've done very well to give up alcohol, so we'll give you a break on smoking!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

As Willie the Penguin Says, "Smoke Kools!"

I smoked briefly in the eighth grade. Kools.

One night I was asleep on the couch and my pack fell out of my shirt pocket. Someone, my Mother I guess, found them and neatly laid them on the coffee table next to where I was sleeping.

I quit the next day, and never went back.

Ha