Join Early Retirement Today

How many times have you moved?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many times have you moved?

Rather than hijack a different thread, I thought i'd start a new one. REWahoo mentioned he moved 13 times and W2R said she moved more than 28 times. I know i'm only 30 but i've only lived in 3 places since I moved out at 19 and expect to live in only 1 more place the rest of my life for a total of 4. It can cost a lot of money to move. I would think LBYM types would move less often. How many times have you moved and over how many years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #2

If you moved back with your parents for a month or two or with a friend for a month or so don't count that. Just count places you were living for at least several months.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's see: 6 times. That's almost enough for me. One more move, probably to SC, and I am done...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

27 times.
Can you tell I'm retired military?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My 13 moves were all since age 21, so that ends up averaging a move every 3.2 years of my adult life. Our longest stint in one house was a little over eight years until now - we're coming up on thirteen here at the retirement home...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

From age 21, 6 places not counting in-town moves (to a bigger house, etc.). Most of the family think that's a lot, but reading this thread, I feel like we're home-bound. Current house is approaching 7 years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #7

Nine times, from 1974 to 2002. Longest stint was 16 years in one house, after I was on my own anyway. Many of the others were transitional moves from one place to another - three of those were apartments, which I hated - for a year to two years at a time, sometimes with a shared apartment, sometimes not.

In September it will be eight years in one spot in WV. No plans to move anytime soon.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Good thread, Aaron!

Ten times by age 18, 14 in total--but the last move? In this house for 32 years this summer--our kids grew up here (perhaps a slight overreaction to moving so much in my childhood ).
Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #9

Moved 7 times before I turned 18. Then I went off to college, and have been in the same college town since. So, once as an adult. Guess I got my fill as a kid!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Starting at birth? 12
Since college ended (39 years): 8

My parents lived in the family home for 49 years. I lived in my previous house for 16 years and the current house for 8 years. I've only lived in 3 cities. No plans to move in retirement.

I AM counting in-town moves.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yea... I wanted to know if from birth or from when we had the choice...

And with me... I want to know what you consider a 'move'... I moved to London for work for over a year... but kept my house... so it was only a bunch of suitcases... and I moved 3 more times in NY for the same reason...

SOOO, as a kid once... (one year old, so don't remember)

Out on my own... 6 months with a roommate..

The to my own place.. to college, back from college... into my first house.. into my second...

SOOO, 1 as a kid

6 as an adult

4 because of work.. (I really don't consider these moves... but I was away from my house for over 3 years)...

WOW... that seems like a lot...
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I count 23, including 9 with family as a kid 3 in college, and 5 in the first 3-4 years after college. Also bounced around 3 apts and a house in Austin when I wasn't sure what I was going to do for a medium term stay there (8 years).
Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #13

Not counting temporary moves between my parents' house and college dorm, and my parents' move from an apartment to a suburban house when I was one year old, I moved 5 times, all in the mid to late 1980s just after I graduated from college. My last move in 1989 was from a rental apartment to the co-op apartment I still live in today.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
gone traveling

29 times since 1958.

10 times <18
10 times 18-24
9 times since.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
27 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
29 times since 1958.
Some folks have trouble holding a job - others have trouble holding a house.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

As an adult, I have moved 10 times and all were job related. My last move was here almost 15 years ago, so I have averaged a move every 3 years or so (but not counting the last one, average was less than 2 years).
Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #17

4 total (21y w parents, 2 y apartment, 6y house, 23y larger house)
Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It can cost a lot of money to move. I would think LBYM types would move less often. How many times have you moved and over how many years.
19 times over 18 years. And yes it is expensive, but the Navy didn't care how much it cost to get us our necessary training/experience, or whether we agreed with their plan.

My family moved a couple times when I was growing up. (But I always managed to track them down.) In a few months we'll have lived in our current home for 11 years. That will make it the longest in over 30 years that I've ever lived at one address.

During our San Diego tour we lived next door to a family who'd been in their home for 38 years. It was only the second place the mother had lived-- the first place was her mother's house around the corner. They couldn't imagine our peripatetic lifestyle. We couldn't imagine what it must be like to paint the same walls and mow the same grass over and over and over...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #19

A tangent, I admit, but...

When I was starting a three year stint for MegaCorp in Geneva, a coworker graciously invited me to his home for dinner. He lived on the family farm just outside the city. I asked him how long his family had lived there, and after thinking for a moment, he said 700 years.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I really thought I had not moved much but as an adult I've moved ten times . Six of the moves were before I was twenty-five . That's when you used to move yourself with some friends and a rental truck . I think I have one or two more moves left and that is it .