Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still get useful mail, though not as much as in the past. Everything that I can get electronically, I do. The other day, I received my mail-in ballot for the California primary, though I'd sign up for electronic voting in a heartbeat if/when they offer it. I still get a few magazine subscriptions. A few close family members still send physical birthday and Christmas cards, and I like to receive those. My best friend, who loves my cats as much as I do, receives occasional cards from the cats, signed with pawprints, and adorned with shed claws and clumps of fur. An electronic version of those wouldn't quite have the same impact. The most valuable USPS service, to me, is the ability to receive packages. Priority Mail, in particular, I find to be a very useful service.

There is one thing I have not received in years though, and that is a personal letter from a friend or family member. Remember when people used to sit down with a pen and paper, and write well-composed prose, sometimes several pages of it? I have some letters like that in storage boxes from my past, but have not received one in a long time. I have a personal seal that used to belong to my grandfather, and it's been on my mind to write a "proper" letter so that I can use his seal. Thing is, and I'm embarrassed to admit this, my cursive writing doesn't look as nice as it used to - I am so out of practice.

When was the last time anyone here wrote, or received, a "proper" letter?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where I live, we don't get home mail delivery. We have to either rent one of the boxes in a kiosk, or at the local PO. Most of the homes are 2nd residences or vacation rentals. It would be prohibitive to have a box for every address like the typical neighborhood kiosk. So I could easily opt not to rent a box and I'm not sure what anyone would do about it. I haven't even considered not having one though.

I hate the junk mail as much as anyone. But there is just a little too much other stuff that I need to get. How about credit cards? Apple Pay and the like isn't far enough along to go without cards, and I don't want to pay FedEx rate for delivery. Some workers aren't set up to get payments right away, so they send a bill. A lot of packages still come via USPS. Sure, I could probably pay extra to make sure it's sent UPS or FedEx, but that's not worth it.

I would rather have stronger opt out options so that you could block someone from continually sending credit card offers and the like.

Someday I'm sure I could live without it, but probably don't. The USPS will probably go away some day, but I doubt in my lifetime.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

we sometimes can go 3-5 days with no mail. My BF hates junk mail with a passion and is quick to call and find ways to stop it. I don't think its ever going away, but it certainly could slow down to every other day service...really nothing you send in the mail should be that urgent.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I use mail a fair amount for its unique capabilities, for example, no alternative provides the same level of privacy at such a low cost.

I don't know about privacy. As mentioned earlier, the Post Office photographs every piece of mail. They used that data to capture someone who was threatening Obama (or mailed him anthrax? I forget) but I still find it creepy.

And, when we moved to a lovely suburb of McMansions in the mellow Midwest in 2003 we were warned not to put anything with financial data (credit card bills, tax forms) in our outgoing mail because identity thieves occasionally raided mailboxes. I still take sensitive snail mail straight to the Post Office for that reason.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think physical mail was and continues to be a vital component of our infrastructure and one of the great enablers of US development.
+1

It scares me to think of a few ISP's having control of all communications.

The good ole US Mail is nicely dispersed with a huge disaster in one part of the country not effecting mail delivery in other parts, etc.

I think we have a ways to go with the Internet before I'd be comfortable not being able to drop something in the mail when desired. It's cheap. Our service has been very good the past few years. It doesn't cost me anything when I don't use it. What's not to like?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

USPS could still deliver packages that you asked to have delivered. They have a great infrastructure to compete with the others in that regard.

As to the security question, I don't have any faith that snail mail is safer than email.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote : This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer asks the PO to stop delivering him the mail. And this was around 1997-98 when all the e-commerce was not as widely used as it is today.

So True... I think the moderators should shut this thread down, as someone could get hurt. Per the attached.

sienfeld mail post master general - Bing video
Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #28

I still like the daily walk to the mailbox, occasionally there is money in there -

And my monthly financial statements that go into the binder and they are even 3 hole punched for ease of insertion.

Sometimes there are invitations to parties or weddings or other fun stuff.

But mostly junk mail and I am so good at telling the difference that I just toss it in the can unopened.

Last, but not least, there is the stuff I order off the internet that comes in a USPS flat rate box or bag.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Gives me a sense of power to toss the junk mail.

Our mailman is a good guy.

And receiving mail is free too!!!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #30

As others mentioned - the amazon factor is a big one in our house- most amazon deliveries are via USPS.

Additionally we get medical bills, pension statements, etc for MIL. (DH is her legal guardian). Some of the medical providers do not do online statements. Plus it provides him records for presenting to court annually. (He has to show he managed her affairs properly each year.)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
USPS could still deliver packages that you asked to have delivered. They have a great infrastructure to compete with the others in that regard.
Was that directed to me? They DO NOT do home delivery to my house. If I don't have a box (with a few package lockers in the kiosk area) where would they deliver to?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not me. I love mail. I still get cards from family and friends on all the usual holidays (as well as many of the smaller ones) and postcards from vacations. I don't mind junk mail because it's easy enough to toss (unlike junk phone calls) and every so often a new catalog catches my eye and I see something I like).
Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I would happily give up USPS service, or they could reduce the delivery frequency at the very least. Despite actively discouraging it, most of what we get is junk mail - a complete waste of resources IMO.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
How many would close their mailboxes?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #34

How many would close their mailboxes?

Now that I think of it, some businesses would have to do far better with their on-line and phone systems than they do now. Today I'm sending out two snail-mail letters, one to a doctor and one to the facility where I had a procedure; both collected up front and then the insurance paid 100%, so I want a refund. I know from experience that e-mails to the doc's office are ignored. Phone? Sure. Maybe it will be the one time out of 100 you don't get sent to voicemail.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

That's how I get my credit cards.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Live dangerously, send a letter to a friend.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would keep the mailbox for the few important pieces of mail we get, and for Amazon Prime. But if I could opt out of all unsolicited mail (is that called spam, if it's printed?), I would be a happy camper.

It's refreshing to see so many of us favor electronic communication for most things.

I'm trying to influence fellow board members to offer an *option* to receive the twice-a-year community newsletter via email only. But there are fears that some of our older residents don't have email (...um, that's why it would be an opt-in decision). Others are afraid that the businesses that advertise in our newsletter would be upset because they want the paper version to be laying around the house for reference. They don't understand how some of us operate. My paper copy of the newsletter goes in the trash and I download a pdf copy from the website to my iPad. It's a waste of paper and postage to send me a snail-mail copy.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #38

Well, there's always one, and I guess I'm him.

All of our utility bills are delivered and paid by snail mail. I never liked the idea of allowing them to pull money from my checking account - a misplaced decimal point or two and I'm suddenly broke. For a very long time we only had one PC and I was reluctant to put ourselves in a position where we're cut off from paying for utilities and cc bills if/when the computer dies. So we still do it the old fashioned way. Frankly, I see no reason to change as I don't think it would be all that much easier anyway. A bill comes in, I sit down and write a check, it goes out the next day. I do not find that an onerous burden.

YMMV

We get a lot of cards in the mail, and I get several magazines. So no, we're not taking down the mailbox anytime soon.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I love junk mail - it gets me gold stars and campaign ribbons to add to my Curmudgeon certificate so people won't think I'm sleeping on my laurels.

heh heh heh - a little cross thread among forum posters eh.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I never liked the idea of allowing them to pull money from my checking account - a misplaced decimal point or two and I'm suddenly broke.

Only one vendor gets to do that with my account-Planet Fitness, and there were no other options. No issues so far. Every other vendor paid out of my account is through payments I initiate when the bill comes in. I wouldn't have it any other way.