Join Early Retirement Today

How many would close their mailboxes?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How many would close their mailboxes?

The cash/cash-free thread had me thinking: How many of us would decline to receive US Mail if we could?

For me, other than the odd "official notice" that I actually need - and that could easily be emailed - everything else is a nuisance; either a solicitation or a solicitation.

Now the crafty buggers are making their solicitations look like IRS letters, so I have to take the time to open them, and then pay for a garbage bag to throw them away. Since young people no longer send thank-you notes for gifts, there's really no chance I'll ever want to open the day's mail.

While I'm at it, if Delta is listening, I am not going to get one of your credit cards. Not ever.

The US mail is now analogous to the land-line - only used by window replacement salesmen and politicians.
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I used to get junk mail at our Az snowbird condo, but not anymore. The mailman put a form in our box several years ago, wanting to verify info - names associated with the address, etc. I didn't fill out the form. I get no mail. Haven't opened the mailbox in years.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
The cash/cash-free thread had me thinking: How many of us would decline to receive US Mail if we could?
Not me. I still rely on it for my monthly delivery from the Columbia House Record Club.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would most certainly do away with the mail box. I would say that in a given year, we might get 2 or 3 pieces that are worth having. We are now getting catalogs for previous tenants, previous owners (we bought the house in 2012), my DW's sister and Mother. It's out of control and I am tired of submitting requests to have it stopped. A good friend of mine is now getting junk mail for "Mops", that is one of their cats!

We actually had a neighbor that we would get HOA membership forms returned and the return would say "NO RECEPTACLE". Out of curiosity, we drove by the house and sure enough, they didn't even HAVE a mailbox! I think that if it wasn't for the DW, I would actually rip the box out of the ground and throw it away!

I understand that the USPS actually scans every piece of mail that is mailed. There is a test program out there where they will send you images of the mail you are going to get. It would be great if they expanded it so you could SELECT the mail you wanted to get! That would be TOO AWESOME, so it's never going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not me. I still rely on it for my monthly delivery from the Columbia House Record Club.
Funny thing about that...they STILL have a DVD club and they are "supposed" to bring back the record club... What's old is new again!

http://www.columbiahouserecordclub.com/
Old 05-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could easily do without physical mail service. Hardly anything is worth reading. It isn't sustainable in its current form. So changes will eventually come.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Getting ready to leave town for 5 weeks and decided that, no, there was nothing likely to come in mail that was very urgent. So they can just hold it all. On trash days, I get the mail and go to the can to drag it back in, and almost always it just gets canned within 6' of the mailbox. It's an incredible waste. Between junk mail and spam calls, who needs all this crap?
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I still send and receive Christmas cards- the ones I send out always include letters since they go to out-of-town friends and relatives only, For that you still need a mailbox.

The rest of the year- we get maybe one important piece of snail mail a week. I'd be perfectly happy with weekly delivery- and a proportionate decrease in postage rates.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #8

Doesn't the mail offer a scanning service? No more physical documents at all.

I only get a few pieces of mail a month, or even per quarter. Usually the government reminding me to do my taxes or sending an invoice.

Everything else is on-line.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #9

I do think it's a bit archaic, and will eventually go away. Right now, we still get 1 or 2 important pieces of mail every week, amongst the crap. But they could all be delivered electronically. Some people are just slow to change. We have a locally-owned utility that has no form of auto-pay or electronic billing. So we get a paper bill from them. Our bank's bill pay service has to send them a paper check because they don't accept electronic payments.

Also, we get at least 1 or 2 Amazon deliveries every week and these are almost always delivered by our postal carrier. I actually feel sorry for her when my monthly 25 lb bag of dog food arrives. It's about 150 ft from the street to my front door.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #10

Not retired yet. Since we live in the sticks, our mailbox is the delivery mode for the WSJ hard copy, which we both enjoy reading. Post retirement, with travel plans, we'll go for digital only; at that point, we'd have no desire to keep mailbox--save for the IRS and various state agencies.

But agree with just about everyone--the signal/noise ratio is dismal.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I would stop mail delivery at my house if I could do so without paying anything to do it.

All that is delivered is advertising any more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #12

I use mail a fair amount for its unique capabilities, for example, no alternative provides the same level of privacy at such a low cost.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I do think it's a bit archaic, and will eventually go away. Right now, we still get 1 or 2 important pieces of mail every week, amongst the crap. But they could all be delivered electronically. Some people are just slow to change. We have a locally-owned utility that has no form of auto-pay or electronic billing. So we get a paper bill from them. Our bank's bill pay service has to send them a paper check because they don't accept electronic payments.

Also, we get at least 1 or 2 Amazon deliveries every week and these are almost always delivered by our postal carrier. I actually feel sorry for her when my monthly 25 lb bag of dog food arrives. It's about 150 ft from the street to my front door.
Water bill, trash no allowance for electronic payments.

When I was stocking up on reloading supplies I purchased a lot of lead bullets online. The casters all made use of the USPS flat rate boxes. How many 200 grain projectiles does it take to make 70 pounds? They all were 65-70 pound deliveries, I think the mail person has forgotten by now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We get our magazine subscriptions and our Chase Visa bill. We keep our recycle bin right beside the mail slot for everything else. And, of course, we are on electronic delivery for everything important.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
Administrator

I think physical mail was and continues to be a vital component of our infrastructure and one of the great enablers of US development.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #16

We moved last fall, and I could not believe the amount of new mail that is generated when you fill out a change of address request. It took 4-6 weeks to get much of the old stuff forwarded, but by golly all the new credit card and life insurance solicitations arrived in short order. They sell your name to everyone except ISIS. It has taken me months and much tenacity to get off all these new lists that USPS decided I needed to be on. I'm now down to a couple of pieces a day, and still make a couple of phone calls a week to get off more lists. It is manageable. I don't know how IRS would reach us, as they say they never call or email, but they're about the only reason I'd need to keep my mailbox. Well, that, and our church donation envelopes. I still like the feeling of dropping that in the basket.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
I would except I still get magazines and for the fact a lot of Amazon Prime now comes through the USPS now.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure I would give it up completely but I wouldn't have a problem with once per week delivery/pick up.

Our mail is very inconsistent. If it's our regular guy, he's great. Hand delivered to our door when there's a larger package. Otherwise, routine delivery.

Not our regular guy? Who the F knows. Sometimes the mail shows up, sometimes it's in the mailbox, sometimes the mailbox door is even closed. Sometimes it goes missing 2, 3 days at a time.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #19

I need them because they deliver my Amazon packages!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer asks the PO to stop delivering him the mail. And this was around 1997-98 when all the e-commerce was not as widely used as it is today.

I was able to stop two frequent sources of junk mail - endless letters from Verizon and Optimum (local cable TV provider) wanting me to upgrade to their overpriced, bundled, premium services. I had to call each outfit but it did work so the amount of junk mail has declined. Now I gotta get Geico and Amex to stop it. I hope I won't have to buy another paper shredder for a while, I have gone through 2 or 3 over the years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote