Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In a one week period, how many alchoholic beverages do you drink on the average?
0 28 28.87%
1 - 3 18 18.56%
4 - 6 17 17.53%
7 - 10 9 9.28%
11 - 15 7 7.22%
15+ 18 18.56%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How much do you drink?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So if my glass is never empty does it count as just 1 drink?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cut-Throat:

Checking out your lovely rack, one word immediately jumps to mind: earthquakes.
Do you have a cover panel to hold in the bottles, or do you live in an area that never
shakes? (And are you sure it never does? Most places do, if infrequently...)

Bpp

Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cube_Rat -

You did mention you recently dressed up for an interview...hmmmm

Old 10-25-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
You guys just have to bait me!

And NO this is NOT me!
Sure, sure, didn't you mention falling out of your blouse?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #25

Oh MY GAWD!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Oh MY GAWD!
YEah, I like big, but that's totally out of control!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #27

That's just wrong, L. I mean a guy could suffocate to death between those puppies.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's just wrong, L. I mean a guy could suffocate to death between those puppies.
Hmmm, I think I've just figured out how I want ER to end.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Hmmm, I think I've just figured out how I want ER to end.
You know, implants that size are made by the manufacturer upon request. Implants come in standard sizes, which she obviously does not have.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #30

Where did she come from Looks like she's employed by Land of Lakes Dairy.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Implants come in standard sizes, which she obviously does not have.
But what she does have is HUGE.....back problems. :P

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #32

I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #33

Quote:
That's just wrong, L. I mean a guy could suffocate to death between those puppies
So tell what you all see wrong with her? I'd take her home to mom.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll drink to those.

But if the truth be told I prefer small perky racks.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
I'll drink to those.

But if the truth be told I prefer small perky racks.
How do you like the points on this, ol Rancher ?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Ohhhhhhh

That must have been at least a 20 point buck. Now that rack and a wedge of of aged Gouda cheese and a good table bread for the ol' deer stand and we have a great opening day for this hunting season.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I am mostly a Red Wine Drinker. :P

When I found out the French and Italians could eat all that rich food, with good bread and butter and not have Cholesteral Problems, I enjoyed my Wine even More!

So I am one of the +15 Guys :P

Heck, I even built a Wine Rack in my Basement!

[img width=750 height=562]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Cutthroat-trout/Misc%20Pics/SmallWineRack.jpg[/img]
Very nice set-up. But what are the things lower left that look like canisters of poison gas?

Ha
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 PM   #38

No candles here, no basement either.

I'm having serious wine cellar envy, however!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Ordinarily I consider myself a libertarian, but I think this surgery should be malpractice on the face of it.

No doctor should take a normal, attractive woman and turn her into a freak, even if she thinks she wants to be so turned.

Ha
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #40

I'm in the 20 to 30 glasses of wine per week category. According to all the modern research I've seen in recent years, if you aren't drinking at least 14 drinks per week, you are limiting your longevity. Many studies indicate a number as high as 28 drinks per week.

Two to three glasses of red wine a night for health for me.

Here's some links and information. I've tracked down the technical papers for only about 4 of these studies, but they all are in general agreement. Moderate drinking every night reduces the risk of heart problems fairly significantly.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Hea...106591095.html

Quote:
After adjustment for other factors, men overall who consumed from one to 28 drinks per week had a reduced risk for all-cause mortality of 14 to 22 percent. For women overall, all-cause mortality rates after adjustment were reduced by 18 percent for those who consumed one to seven drinks per week.
Reference: Maskarinec, G., et al. Alcohol intake, body weight, and mortality in a multiethnic prospective cohort. Epidemiology, 1998, 9(6), 654-661.

Quote:
The study, which carefully examined the 89,299 men in the Physicians' Health Study over a period of five and one-half years confirms the findings of other research in the United States as well as many countries around the world: those who drink alcohol in moderation tend to live longer than those who either abstain or drink heavily.
Reference: Gaziano, J.M. et al., Light-to-moderate alcohol consumption and mortality in the Physicians' Health Study enrollment cohort. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 35(1), 2000, 96-105.

Quote:
The moderate consumption of alcohol (beer, wine and liquor) is associated with better health and greater longevity than is either abstinence or the abuse of alcohol.
Reference: Dodson, Roger. Alcohol prevents more deaths than it causes. Independent News (UK) 5-23-04.

Quote:
The results show that about two (2) years of life are gained by moderate drinkers (1-4 drinks per day) in comparison with occasional and heavy drinkers.

Drinking in moderation, exercising, and not smoking were all found to be associated with greater life expectancy.
Reference: Farchi, G., et al. Alcohol and survival in the Italian rural cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. International Journal of Epidemiology, 2000, 29, 667-671.

Quote:
It found that the lowest death rate from all causes occurs at the level of one to two drinks per day. That is, moderate drinkers have the greatest longevity.
References: Highlights of the NIAAA position paper on moderate alcohol consumption. Press release from the journal, Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, 6-14-04; Berman, Jessica. Moderate alcohol consumption benefits heart, U.S. government says. Voice of America News, 6-16-04.

Quote:
A major Australian study has found that abstainers were twice as likely to enter a nursing home as people who were moderate drinkers.
Reference: McCallum, J., et al. The Dubbo Study of the Health of the Elderly 1988-2002: An Epidemiological Study of Hospitaol and Residential Care. Sydney, NSW, Australia: The Australian Health Policy Institute, 2003.

Quote:
Those who drank and exercised regularly had fewer difficulties with their daily activities and physical functioning.
Reference: Wang, L. et al. Predictors of functional change: a longitudinal study of nondemented people aged 65 and older. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2002, 50(9), 1525-1534

----------
Readings on Alcohol and Longevity
Berger, K., et al. Light-to-moderate alcohol consumption and risk of Stroke among US male physicians. New England Journal of Medicine, 1999, 341(21), 1557-1564.

Blackwelder, W. C., et al. Alcohol and mortality. The Honolulu Heart Study. American Journal of Medicine, 1980, 68(2), 164-169.

Boffetta, P., and Garefinkel, L. Alcohol drinking among men enrolled in an American Cancer Society prospective study. Epidemiology, 1990, 1(5), 42-48.

Brenner, H., et al. The association between alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality in a cohort of male employees in the German construction industry, International Journal of Epidemiology, 1997, 26, 85-91.

Britton, A., and McPherson, K. Mortality in England and Wales attributable to current alcohol consumption. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 2001, 55(6), 383-388.

Cabot, R.C. the relation of alcohol to arterioscleroisis, Journal of the American Medical Association, 1904, 43, 774-775.

Calcoya, M., et al. Alcohol and Stroke: a community case control study in Asturias, Spain. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 1999, 52, 577-684;

Camargo, C. A., et al. Prospective study of moderate alcohol consumption and mortality in US male physicians. Archives of Internal Medicine, 1997, 157, 79-85.

Camargo, C. A., et al. Moderate alcohol consumption and the risk for angina pectoris or myocardial infarction in U.S. male physicians. Archives of Internal Medicine, 1997, 126(5).

Coate, D. Moderate drinking and coronary heart disease mortality: evidence from NHANES I and NHANES I follow-up. American Journal of Public Health, 1993, 83(6), 888-890.

Dairdron, D. M. Cardiovascular effects of alcohol. Western Journal of Medicine, 1989, 151(4), 430-439.

Doll, R., et al. Mortality in relation to consumption of alcohol: 13 years observations on male British doctors. British Medical Journal, 1994, 309, 911-918.

Ellison, R. C. Does Moderate Alcohol Consumption Prolong Life? New York: American Council on Science and Health, 1993.

Farchi, G., et al. Alcohol and survival in the Italian rural cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. International Journal of Epidemiology, 2000, 29, 667-671.

Fuchs, C. S., et al. Alcohol consumption and mortality among women. The New England Journal of Medicine, 1995, 332(19), 1245-1250.

Gronbaek, M., et al. Type of alcohol consumed and mortality from all causes, coronary heart disease, and cancer. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2000, 133(6), 411-419.

Gronbaek, M., et al. Alcohol and mortality: is there a U-shaped relation in elderly people? Age and Aging, 1998, 27(6), 739-744.

Gronbaek, M., et al. Influence of sex, age, body mass index, and smoking on alcohol inytake and mortality, British Medical Journal, 1994, 308, 302-306.

Gronbaek, M., et al. Mortality associated with moderate intakes of wine, beer, or spirits, British Medical Journal, 1995, 310, 1165-1169.

Hennekens, C. H. Alcohol and Risk of Coronary Events. In: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Alcohol and the Cardiovascular System. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1996.

Hoffmeister, H., et al. The relationship between alcohol consumption, health indicators, and mortality in the German population. International Journal of Epidemiology, 1999, 28(6), 1066-1072.

Keil, U, et al. The relation of alcohol intake to coronary heart disease and all-cause mortality in a beer drinking population, Epidemiology, 1997, 8(2), 150-156.

Klatsky, A. Alcohol and mortality: a ten year Kaiser Permanente experience, Annals of Internal Medicine, 1981, 95, 139-145.

LaPorte, R. E., Cresanta, J. L., and Kuller, L. H. The relationship of alcohol consumption to atherosclerotic heart disease. Preventive Medicine, 1980, 9, 22-40;

McCallum, J., et al. The Dubbo Study of the Health of the Elderly 1988-2002: An Epidemiological Study of Hospital and Residential Care. 1998, 9, 184-188. Sydney, NSW, Australia: The Australian Health Policy Institute, 2003.

Maskarinec, G., et al. Alcohol intake, body weight, and mortality in a multiethnic prospective cohort. Epidemiology, 1998, 9(6), 654-661.

Moore, R. D., and Pearson, T. A. Moderate alcohol consumption and coronary artery disease. Medicine, 1986, 65, 242-267.

Perdue, L., and Shoemaker, W. The French Paradox and Beyond. Sonoma, CA: Renaissance Publishing, 1992.

Renaud, S., et al. Alcohol and mortality in middle-aged men from Eastern France, Epidemiology,

Rimm, E., et al. Prospective study of alcohol consumption and risk of coronary disease in men. The Lancet. 1991, 338, 464-468.

Rimm, E., et al. Prospective study of cigarette smoking, alcohol use and the risk of diabetes in men. British Medical Journal, 1995, 310, 555-559.

Rimm, E., et al. Moderate alcohol intake and lower risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of effects on lipids and hemostatic factors. British Medical Journal, 1999, 319, 1523-1528.

Rodgers, H., et al. Alcohol and Stroke: a case control study of drinking habits past and present. Stroke, 1993, 12(10), 1473-1477.

Truelsen, T., et al. Intake of beer, wine and spirits and risk of Stroke: the Copenhagen city heart study. Stroke, 1998, 29(12), 2468-2472.

Wang, L. et al. Predictors of functional change: a longitudinal study of nondemented people aged 65 and older. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 2002, 50(9), 1525-1534.

Willett, W. C. with the assistance of others. Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2001.

Yuan, J-M., et al. Follow up study of moderate alcohol intake and mortality among middle aged men in Shanghai, China. British Medical Journal, 1997, 314, 18-23.