Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In a one week period, how many alchoholic beverages do you drink on the average?
0 28 28.87%
1 - 3 18 18.56%
4 - 6 17 17.53%
7 - 10 9 9.28%
11 - 15 7 7.22%
15+ 18 18.56%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How much do you drink?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:29 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You a little obsessive on this topic my man?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2005, 12:20 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I'm in the 20 to 30 glasses of wine per week category.* According to all the modern research I've seen in recent years, if you aren't drinking at least 14 drinks per week, you are limiting your longevity.* Many studies indicate a number as high as 28 drinks per week.*
The current recommendation is one drink per day for women and two for men.* * *A "drink" is defined as 14g of alcohol.* *The benefits are increase in HDL and decrease in blood clotting factors.

Studies have found that if you go higher than this, it starts to become bad for you.* *20g (1.5 drinks) in women and 40g (3 drinks) in men is the level that starts killing your liver, and at 60g (4-5 drinks) in men is the level that increases your risk of stroke.

(Source: a couple of meta-studies.)

Old 10-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
You a little obsessive on this topic my man?

Ha
I just happened to have received this information from a friend of mine recently. I thought I would share.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The current recommendation is one drink per day for women and two for men.* * *A "drink" is defined as 14g of alcohol.* *The benefits are increase in HDL and decrease in blood clotting factors.

Studies have found that if you go higher than this, it starts to become bad for you.* *20g (1.5 drinks) in women and 40g (3 drinks) in men is the level that starts killing your liver, and at 60g (4-5 drinks) in men is the level that increases your risk of stroke.

(Source: a couple of meta-studies.)
Actually, wab, you should look at the data instead of the summaries that get published. The actual scientific studies define "drink" differently depending on the country. There is a fairly well-known British study that defines "drink" as a pint, for example. Also the data tends to indicate an optimum level of 2 to 3 drinks per day for a male and less for a female. But the data also indicates that more is better than none up to levels of 4 - 5 drinks. US studies tend to massage the data to get more conservative conclusions than the raw data would suggest, while European and Japanese studies take the data at face value. There is a strong resistance to this information in the US. Like I said, after a friend of mine sent me this information, I looked up some of the scientific literature. It is very interesting and does not support the ideas most people have. Sobriety at your own risk.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Actually, wab, you should look at the data instead of the summaries that get published.
As you know, individual studies are all over the map. That's why I give more weight to published meta-analyses that look at multiple studies and give you the consensus findings.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:37 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

IMO, "health" is a good rationalization for drinking. But really, would any sane person take up drinking for his health? By the time one has fried umpteen million neurons in college and high school, survived a couple auto accidents, picked up an STI or 2, who can keep a straight face and say he is drinking for his health*

I ride pretty close herd on my drinking, because IMO it has it's own reasons, which take some adult supervision.

Ha
Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
IMO, "health" is a good rationalization for drinking. But really, would any sane person take up drinking for his health? By the time one has fried umpteen million neurons in college and high school, survived a couple auto accidents, picked up an STI or 2, who can keep a straight face and say he is drinking for his health*
That's why you don't hear docs recommend that you start drinking. If you're younger than 30, the risks of drunk driving and the risks of becoming an alcoholic outweigh the health benefits. But if you're an old fart, like many of us, then it does make sense to drink a glass of wine with dinner for the health benefits (as well as the traditional benefits).
Old 10-26-2005, 05:31 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
I'll drink to those.

But if the truth be told I prefer small perky racks.
I've always preferred "small perky racks" myself, even more so if I've
had a few drinks.

JG
Old 10-26-2005, 09:40 AM   #49

C-T,

I really enjoyed seeing the wine rack. Mine is about 1/4 that size and not nearly as well stocked. I am getting rack-envy!

Nice job on the design and construction! You have given me some ideas on some ways to enhance the one I have. Mine is in a "food storage" area and is also loaded with candles, boxes, jars of all shapes and sizes, a freezer and assorted other things that don't have another home except there.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 70s you did acid, now you won't eat white bread...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Back in the 70s you did acid, now you won't eat white bread...
I still don't eat white bread.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
As you know, individual studies are all over the map.* *. . .
Not the ones I looked at in the medical and scientific journals -- the studies that are peer reviewed and quantitative all say about the same thing. There is some variation in the quantitative results, but they are in pretty reasonable agreement.

There are also a number of articles that discuss why researchers (especially American researchers) have a tendancy to state their conclusions more conservatively than their data indicates, and tend not to mention that there is a longevity advantage of more alcohol than 2 drinks per day. Alcohol abuse is a real problem for some. Binge drinking really damages your health. In fact, there are studies that show 2 drinks-per-day is good while 5 drinks per week is bad if all those drinks are on Saturday night. Researchers do not want to encourage those that would abuse alcohol or binge drink.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #53

Quote:
There are also a number of articles that discuss why researchers (especially American researchers) have a tendancy to state their conclusions more conservatively than their data indicates
Yeah, I'm sure studies have biases. Perhaps Americans are biased by their puritanical views. Perhaps European studies are biased by the fact that Europeans tend to consume their alcohol with a meal. A well done meta-analysis will offset some of these biases.

In any case, I think we basically agree: if you're going to get a girl drunk, just make sure she's not your wife.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...I think thats how I ended up with my wife. And my son...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Mikey,

Those tin canisters are the Single Malt Scotches! 8)
Cut-Throat,

I am relieved!*

Ha
Old 10-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Here is a pic of my wine cellar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comfix-merch[1].jpg (41.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Mmmm, yeah...Costco keeps all my wine for me.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Actually this is a more realistic pic of what I have.

Attached Images
File Type: gif irawoodinc_1869_253915299[1].gif (14.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #59

I'd like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner, but *I can't think of a cost-effective way to do this. *My wife no longer drinks wine, so I'd have to open a whole bottle for myself. *I've tried a lot of ways to save half for the next day, but none have worked well enough.

The tiny bottles are too expensive per ounce, and the box wine doesn't last long enough. *

Help me drink more! *Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #60

Do you do a lot of woodworking, CT?