Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In a one week period, how many alchoholic beverages do you drink on the average?
0 28 28.87%
1 - 3 18 18.56%
4 - 6 17 17.53%
7 - 10 9 9.28%
11 - 15 7 7.22%
15+ 18 18.56%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How much do you drink?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I'd like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner, but I can't think of a cost-effective way to do this. My wife no longer drinks wine, so I'd have to open a whole bottle for myself. I've tried a lot of ways to save half for the next day, but none have worked well enough.

The tiny bottles are too expensive per ounce, and the box wine doesn't last long enough.

Help me drink more! Any ideas?
Black box wines (which of course come in a box). On sale in my neck of the woods, they sell for about $17 for a box that equals four bottles. The quality in my opinion (and I think its shared by more than a few fellow posters) is as good as most $5-10 bottles of wine. As its in a mylar bag inside the box and air doesnt get introduced until you're almost draining the bag, the wine stays good for weeks. Maybe months.

Not that I'd have any direct experience with that.

I like the cabernet and the whites. Not as fond of the merlot. I find the cab to be very comparable in quality to yellowtail. If you've had the yellowtail and liked it, you'll probably like the black box. Sells at most Albertsons and Target stores.

If nothing else, its a ready source of cooking wine.

I've tried the Hardy's in the box and liked the reds (not as much as the black box) but extremely disliked the whites. Very perfumey, almost floral. Wife hated them too. The shiraz is good though.

There are a few other "premium" box wines I havent tried like Delicato.

If you want to go really cheap, franzias "vintner select" is as good as any of the two-buck style inexpensive wines. Good enough to cook with, ok for a "jelly jar" glass of wine with a plate of pasta. Not something I'd want to drink regularly though. I get these once or twice a year from costco or sams club for $5.99 for a 5 liter box. At about a dollar a "bottle" equivalent, its incredibly cheap for a decent cooking wine.

Corbett Canyon is better than franzia but not as good as black box. I like their wine in the box better than their wine in the bottle. About $8 for a three liter (four bottle) box.

You also have another fairly obvious option. Just drink the whole dang bottle you opened and call it even.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'd like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner, but *I can't think of a cost-effective way to do this. *My wife no longer drinks wine, so I'd have to open a whole bottle for myself. *I've tried a lot of ways to save half for the next day, but none have worked well enough.

The tiny bottles are too expensive per ounce, and the box wine doesn't last long enough. *

Help me drink more! *Any ideas?
I use these types of stoppers for my wine* http://www.barparts.com/Crown+Bottle+Stoppers.html

Just put one of these babies on the bottle after two glasses and keep it in the fridge until the next day.

Old 10-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're near a Trader Joe's, the best deal around is the Charles Shaw, a.k.a. "Two Buck Chuck" wine. It's not bad for $1.99! They have Merlot, Cabernet, Savignon Blanc, Shiraz, and Chardonnay.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #64

I have come to love boxed wine.* *Specifically, Tindindi (available from Costco in WA).* *Just last night, I had a drink from a box that we opened *months* ago.* *Still quite tasty.* *(If you don't mind a little cardboard in your diet.* )
Old 10-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #65

Being from Northern California, I've acquired a snobby Sonoma and Alexander Valley pallat. I cringe at the thought of *boxed* wine (sorry ) I also don't care for Australian wines either (aussie wines tastes "weird" to me).

CT - Your rack is indeed beautiful. I'd love to have something like that in my basement.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat

CT - Your rack is indeed beautiful.* I'd love to have something like that in my basement.
Hur, hur, hur. Racy stuff!

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:28 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hur, hur, hur. Racy stuff!
Not any racier than "A nice, bick cock" as a tagline
Old 10-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #68

Wine at Target and Alberson's, Costco and Trader Joes

Not in Happy Valley! *

You have to go to a State Store here. *That is still hard to get used to. * :

I like the Yellowtail too. *Also, Ironstone Merlot and Fetzer White Zin. which it the DW's first choice. * The selection of boxed wines here are pretty limited and are not what we like so we tend to buy by the case just because it is a pain to go to the State stores and wait in line forever...think DMV lines. * :P
Old 10-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #69

Here's Wab's Tindini box wine:

http://www.tindindi.com/

Looks like a high-end aussie, boxed wine :P
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #70

SteveR, are you in NH? That's the only place I know that they call them State Stores.

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #71

OK this may sound like a weird place for wine but I read an article not too long ago about Idaho trying to get big into wine production. Some parts of the state are supposed to have the "right" climate. Has anyone tried wine from there?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
No doubt about it the California wines are my favorite. And some of those California Reds at about $25 a bottle are the best I've ever had. :P

But my "everyday" wines are usually the Austrailian Varieties. Have you ever tried the Yellowtail Reds? - They are the best bargains I've found. At $5 a bottle they're a steal. I've got to spend about $12-$15 for a California Red to beat it. 8)
Yes, I've tried the Yellowtails and couldn't get used to the strange taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
OK this may sound like a weird place for wine but I read an article not too long ago about Idaho trying to get big into wine production. Some parts of the state are supposed to have the "right" climate. Has anyone tried wine from there?
Spuds and Chardonnay. Who would've thunk? 8)
Old 10-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
SteveR, are you in NH?* That's the only place I know that they call them State Stores.

Cj
No, Utah....aka...Happy Valley.

When I lived in NC, they also had State stores as do several other states. You can only buy near beer (3.2%) in the grocery stores; everything else has to be from a State store.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
No, Utah....aka...Happy Valley.

When I lived in NC, they also had State stores as do several other states. You can only buy near beer (3.2%) in the grocery stores; everything else has to be from a State store.
We call our liquor stores "ABC stores" in NC, not State Stores. Alcohol Beverage Commission. They only sell hard liquor. Beer and wine can be bought at the grocery store. We do have many "dry" areas where no alcohol is sold, or limited alcohol is sold. Damn conservatives...

(edited to add )
Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
We call our liquor stores "ABC stores" in NC, not State Stores.* Alcohol Beverage Commission.* They only sell hard liquor.* Beer and wine can be bought at the grocery store.* We do have many "dry" areas where no alcohol is sold, or limited alcohol is sold.* Damn conservatives...*
Sorry Justin, I have lived too many places and sometimes get the stores mixed up. I now remember the ABC part...we used to just call them the state store since they are run by the State. Thanks for the clarification. And.....yes Damn conservatives and zealots.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #76

In NH (right over the border from me) they have State Liquor Stores, you can buy beer, wine and those prepackaged mixed drinks in grocery stores but the hard stuff is only in the State stores. (it's also cheaper over the line in NH)

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #77

I've had some box wines for which the taste was OK for a few weeks, but several boxes that I tried (just some cheap Gallo or Almaden or Fanzia) the taste went bad after a few days (maybe you'd say went from bad to worse), and I had to dump it out.* So I gave up on that.

As for storing until the next day, I did this: Immediately after opening the bottle, I'd pour half of it into a half-sized bottle.* Fill it right to the top, squeeze a cork in, and put it in the fridge.* Still had a very acrid taste the next day.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #78

Quote:
As for storing until the next day, I did this: Immediately after opening the bottle, I'd pour half of it into a half-sized bottle.* Fill it right to the top, squeeze a cork in, and put it in the fridge.* Still had a very acrid taste the next day.
Al,

What the hell are you drinking? - White zinfandel?

- I'm talking about a good quality Cabernet? - Don't put them in the Fridge! - I just let them sit on the counter! - You have heard of Decanting? - A good Cab will actually improve for 1-2 days on the counter. - Even Uncorked!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Cut-Throat's Wine Rack
[img width=750 height=562]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Cutthroat-trout/Misc%20Pics/SmallWineRack.jpg[/img]
DanTien's Wine & Beer Storage Rack
[img width=750 height=562]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/DanTien/100_1142.jpg[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...is that a stuffed moose? Couldnt find a beaver?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote