Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
12/12

Pretty easy, but I watch the Science channel!
12/12

but no science channel here. No cable channels here either.

Now that we passed the pre-school science test... can we get a real one.

need to at least start with coupled vector differential equations as a start!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RE: 'amplitude/height' of the sound wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, I agree. I had to guess at what they meant to say on that one, too. But, to be charitable, I reasoned that
[spoiler-alert]

. . . by "amplitude" they could mean "amplitude of pressure", and reading it that way makes it work. It was the "least-bad" answer[/spoiler-alert]
Yes, that is why I chose it as the most correct answer. I just thought the wording was a little off, and when you have a science quiz, I think the bar should be pretty high for wording everything correctly, versus a casual article for the lay-person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Regarding the pick on one question, I look up the dictionary definition of the word they use, and it says

[spoiler-alert]
Amplitude: the maximum extent of a vibration or oscillation, measured from the position of equilibrium.

An electrical wave can have an amplitude, or an optical wave, or a radio wave. It does not have to be a physical motion displacement.

[/spoiler-alert]

Hence, I do not see a problem with their choice of word.
Yes, I suppose with a little broader definition, you can think of 'amplitude' as the 'amplitude of the amount of the compression of the wave' (or would that be 'magnitude'?). But they also threw the word "height" in there - I don't see how you can assign "height" to a sound wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Well, it's certainly true when viewed on a oscilloscope.
Yes, but I did say you could see amplitude on a graph. But that is different than 'seeing' it on the thing itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I asked the DW to take the test too. ...
DW has many wonderful qualities, but an understanding (or interest) in scientific principles is not one of them. I know better than to ask, especially to ask her to explain her score.

I really hesitated on the magnifying glass. I was kinda confused which way they were looking. That was the only one I found a bit tricky. But mostly process of elimination made it clear to me, just took a little while.

As long as I'm nit-picking, I took another look and (I'll skip the 'spoiler' - just take the test!) ...

Which kind of waves are used to make and receive cellphone calls? It seemed obvious they were looking for radio waves as the answer, but if you think about it, sound waves are used as well. There is no point w/o the sound waves (not including texting). So 'sound waves' is not incorrect.

Which of these elements is needed to make nuclear energy and nuclear weapons? Again, uranium jumps out, but I'd be surprised if this complex process does not also require the use of Sodium Chloride, Nitrogen, and Carbon Dioxide somewhere along the way. So they are 'needed' as well.

emph mine...
Which of these people developed the polio vaccine? Jonas Salk is the only choice among those associated with polio, but the wording is just a little less than exact. Jonas Salk developed a polio vaccine (and was the first). But Albert Sabin also developed an oral version of the vaccine that has been used more widely.
Call it nit-picking, but science is about being precise, and words should be chosen carefully to mean explicitly what you are trying to convey. And scientists often do not have the 'multiple choice' option (unless you consider an infinite number of choices 'multiple choice'!)! You need to be correct, period!

-ERD50

Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

12/12. I was about to say "retired engineer" and that explains why I got them all right.

Then I realized they are all basic questions that any high school grad heading to college should know.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #44

10/12. Missed the magnifying glass and boiling water questions. I still think that water will boil at the same temp in Denver and LA.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

My dog just took the test using barks as answers....he scored 8 out of 12.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
RE: 'amplitude/height' of the sound wave:

Yes, I suppose with a little broader definition, you can think of 'amplitude' as the 'amplitude of the amount of the compression of the wave' (or would that be 'magnitude'?). But they also threw the word "height" in there - I don't see how you can assign "height" to a sound wave.

-ERD50
I ran through the test pretty quick and did not even notice that they said "amplitude/height". If so, then you are correct that the word "height" should not be there.

By the way, the way I understand it is that the word "amplitude" is always used to denote the strength of a sustained oscillation which is usually sinusoidal.

"Magnitude" also describes the strength but more often of something not necessarily oscillatory, e.g. of wind gusts, solar flares, etc... The excursions here can be one-sided.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
10/12. Missed the magnifying glass and boiling water questions. I still think that water will boil at the same temp in Denver and LA.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I've experienced otherwise. Couldn't get those beans done in time in Denver!

Anybody who does serious baking has probably run across recipes where times were adjusted for altitude.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Ah, it so happened that when I was up at my high-country home last week, I took the temperature of the pot I was boiling pasta in, and saw that it was in the 190's. My home is at 7,000 ft, higher than Denver.

PS. If you pull a vacuum on the water, it would boil at even below room temperature. The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Ah, it so happened that when I was up at my high-country home last week, I took the temperature of the pot I was boiling pasta in, and saw that it was in the 190's. My home is at 7,000 ft, higher than Denver.

PS. If you pull a vacuum on the water, it would boil at even below room temperature. The lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point.
which is why you really want to wear a pressure suit above 60,000 feet or so... pesky boiling blood.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't see things inverted through a magnifying glass so I didn't understand that answer.........
But you could if you wanted to

Looking at some text through a magnifying glass, with face held back far enough, then slowly raise the mg up away from the text. The image will grow larger, larger, then "blow up", and then will re-appear, but inverted.
The "blow-up" distance was where the rays converged to a point.

On the topic of convex lenses, I think it's odd that our brain sees the world upside-down, but we're absolutely convinced that it's right side-up
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
On the topic of convex lenses, I think it's odd that our brain sees the world upside-down, but we're absolutely convinced that it's right side-up
But, but, but not if the necessary reversal is provided by the wiring, er, the nerves.

Say, if you turn a video camera upside down, but also turn the TV upside down, everything is OK again.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

2/12. But I don't believe in science
Old 09-17-2015, 12:35 AM   #53

Quote:

I remember in General Science class in High School, must have been when I was a freshman, the teacher was boiling water at room temperature under a vacuum. He asked who would be willing to put their finger in the water. I practically ran up to the front to put my finger in in the water. Well I did say that I used to watch Mr Wizard on TV, didn't I?

(My English teacher on the other hand called me, and I quote, "an intellectual vulture," which was unfortunately all too true.)

But no more Mr Wizards on TV now. Now all I see are programs about Ancient Aliens, ghosts, UFOs and Bigfoot. I do seriously worry about the state of science literacy now. I don't want to sound political, but some of the scientific ignorance shown by these guys just completely floors me. There has to be some way to stimulate our young people into science, which is so much more exciting, interesting, and magical than all that cr*p we get now.

Please Mr. Wizard, where are you now when we need you?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I grew up without TV, and only learned of Mr. Wizard show just now.

As a kid, I learned most of the stuff I knew from books.

PS. By the way, I took the test again to look at the statistics they show at the end. The question most answered wrong is the one on boiling temperature (only 34% got it right), followed by the sound loudness (35% correct), then the magnifying glass (46%).
Old 09-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #55

Quote:
I grew up without TV, and only learned of Mr. Wizard show just now.

As a kid, I learned most of the stuff I knew from books.
He was great, I still remember some of his shows to this day. I learned the physics of boiling water from one of his shows. How to tell salt from sugar, without tasting it. The conservation of energy. He did the heavy bowling ball tied on a rope to the ceiling. And have a kid against the wall hold the bowling ball next to his nose, and let it go. That was at the end of the show, after he taught them how it could never come back to hit them, no matter how fast it was traveling at the bottom of its swing. He always had kids help him with the experiments and would take them step by step. He made it captivating.

By the end of the show, they would confidently let the bowling ball go, know which was the sugar to put on their food, etc. and he would have taught them some fundamental principles along with useful practical information, and it would all be fun.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
There has to be some way to stimulate our young people into science, which is so much more exciting, interesting, and magical than all that cr*p we get now.
Not arresting them when they bring their inventions to school would be a good start.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:17 AM   #57

12/12 as well.

I did get lucky with the polio question. Didn't know the guys name but knew who the three others were. It's more of a know-your-famous-people question anyway than actual science.

Also slightly objected to the nuclear energy one. You can also build a nuclear weapon and make "nuclear energy" with plutonium no?
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Also slightly objected to the nuclear energy one. You can also build a nuclear weapon and make "nuclear energy" with plutonium no?
Yes, but you need to make the plutonium, and that would (pretty much) require uranium, though it wouldn't be in the bomb itself.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

12/12, but I guessed on the boiling water question. I've never cooked at high altitudes!

I just figured, the air pressure is lower the higher you go, so the vaporized water would have an easier time escaping.

Now if only I could solve household problems that easily.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Ding ding ding! Winner! I am so mad about the clock fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Not arresting them when they bring their inventions to school would be a good start.

Closed Thread