Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

How much do you know about science topics?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How much do you know about science topics?

Take the test, 12 questions...

Science Knowledge Quiz | Pew Research Center

12 of 12 for me
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

12/12 here too.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

12 for me, but I'm a total science geek, so this was a gimme.

The results breakdown is interesting.

- Not surprised that old people smoked the nukes question. I guess since nukes are being swept under the rug these days, the kids struggled.

- Ditto on polio. Old people remember or were touched by or know someone touched by it. Kids? Why even get vaccinated. That's poison! They probably know that Jenny McCarthy is right. Sigh.

- Glad the astrology question wasn't worst than it is.

- Chem geeks like me are distressed by the boiling answer. I guess with microwaves these days, nobody has to follow "high altitude" baking anymore.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lol, 11 of 12 for me. I've forgotten my gas pressure laws so I already knew I was going to get the boiling point question wrong. Instead of getting lucky on a guess, I deliberately chose the wrong answer on that one.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
- Chem geeks like me are distressed by the boiling answer. I guess with microwaves these days, nobody has to follow "high altitude" baking anymore.
I also assumed the notes on cooking directions would have sunk in to the general public.

I also say one of their answers was incorrect (but I chose it, got 12/12, as it was the 'best' answer) - spoiler alert - I'll put the comment in white text, highlight it with a mouse-drag to read it:

[spoiler-alert]

A sound wave really doesn't have 'amplitude' or 'height' - it has peaks and troughs of pressure differences. Now, if you graph them, you could refer to the 'height' or 'amplitude' on the graph, but the sound wave itself does not have these things. Waves in water have amplitude, but not sound waves.

[/spoiler-alert]

In some ways, that was better than some other 'science' tests I've seen, which were mostly memory/history tests. This had some of that, I'd prefer to see questions that test understanding of science (like the boiling point one).

-ERD50
Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

12/12. Kinda surprised that 3 questions were missed by more than 50% of respondents. It looks like the average # right was between 8 and 9, so we'll see if e-r.org is like Lake Wobegon.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

BZZZZT!
Sorry, but astrology has nothing to do with science. What was that doing in there?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
12/12. Kinda surprised that 3 questions were missed by more than 50% of respondents. It looks like the average # right was between 8 and 9, so we'll see if e-r.org is like Lake Wobegon.
I was curious if their age/education/race breakdowns were from this self-selected survey, or was that from random testing where those demographics were obtained w/o self selection (or even lying)?

IIRC, education had perfect correlation - the more education the better they did on every question. I can understand that certain ages could have a better understanding in different areas (like older people being more aware of polio). But age and other demographics also can overlap with education. It would be interesting to see the other factors adjusted for education - i.e., split college education by age group, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
BZZZZT!
Sorry, but astrology has nothing to do with science. What was that doing in there?
I think the point was whether people know that astronomy is the correct word for the science of stars/universe. And they didn't say 'astrology' was a science - they asked (again, highlight to see):

Which of these terms is defined as the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior? - So clearly, astrology is a wrong answer - that's fair, no?

-ERD50
Old 09-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I also say one of their answers was incorrect (but I chose it, got 12/12, as it was the 'best' answer) - spoiler alert - I'll put the comment in white text, highlight it with a mouse-drag to read it:
Yes, I agree. I had to guess at what they meant to say on that one, too. But, to be charitable, I reasoned that
[spoiler-alert]

. . . by "amplitude" they could mean "amplitude of pressure", and reading it that way makes it work. It was the "least-bad" answer[/spoiler-alert]
Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

I think that 12/12 stat is from retired-early types. 12 here also.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

12/12. And that puts me at the top 6% of the public. Hah!

But everybody knows how to work a smartphone now. That's more important, is it not?

Regarding the pick on one question, I look up the dictionary definition of the word they use, and it says

[spoiler-alert]
Amplitude: the maximum extent of a vibration or oscillation, measured from the position of equilibrium.

An electrical wave can have an amplitude, or an optical wave, or a radio wave. It does not have to be a physical motion displacement.

[/spoiler-alert]

Hence, I do not see a problem with their choice of word.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

12/12 here too for a bit of a science geek with a knack for multiple guess tests.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I also assumed the notes on cooking directions would have sunk in to the general public.

[spoiler-alert]

A sound wave really doesn't have 'amplitude' or 'height' - it has peaks and troughs of pressure differences. Now, if you graph them, you could refer to the 'height' or 'amplitude' on the graph, but the sound wave itself does not have these things. Waves in water have amplitude, but not sound waves.

[/spoiler-alert]

In some ways, that was better than some other 'science' tests I've seen, which were mostly memory/history tests. This had some of that, I'd prefer to see questions that test understanding of science (like the boiling point one).

-ERD50
Well, it's certainly true when viewed on a oscilloscope.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
BZZZZT!
You may not have taken the quiz. I said "astrology question" casually. ERD50 explained it better. This, by the way, is my #1 pet peeve about science, so I was glad to see it included, and frankly surprised the wrong answer wasn't picked more often.

And brau... being a master of the brew, I'm 100% confident you'd get the boiling point question.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #15

11/12, I missed the magnifying glass one - should have known better but I was on a roll.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was 11/12 (actual score was 10/12 but I had selected the correct answer then failed to enter it). I was shocked since it is a long time since I took a science course and I always tell my husband that science might as well be magic to me. The question I actually missed was on the magnifying class. I had known that at one time, but that time was long ago.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

12 of 12 right and I am a Mechanical Engineer.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #18

12 of 12 right. Former English teacher here, and quite surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

12 for 12 here. I was 100% sure on all of them except the one on boiling water in LA and Denver. I was pretty sure on that one too, but not 100%. Pretty simple test to be honest but fun.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

12/12

Pretty easy, but I watch the Science channel!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread