How much do you know about science topics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top row (L-R): Reese Witherspoon, some guy, Jennifer Anniston, some other guy, some woman
Bottom row (L-R): Denzel Washington, some woman who might be Kate Hudson? Amy Schumer?, Matthew McConaughey, Kate Winslet, some other other guy.

Edited to add: it's Kate Hudson on the bottom row. So my score is 6/10.

http://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/Teeflour-Top-10-List-7247541

Last edited:
Lol, 11 of 12 for me. :yawn: I've forgotten my gas pressure laws so I already knew I was going to get the boiling point question wrong. ...

I generally don't rely on memory of some formula or laws for something like this. Memory can be fragile (esp mine!). I try to think it through, like the examples I gave in post #63.

... I suspect a higher percentage of people could name which of these people did something than got the Jonas Salk answer right.

ba3122919b22675d_100201-top-10.jpg

I think I can name most of the ladies, even though I don't watch much TV/movies - pick up some by osmosis (keeping in the science theme!) from my DW.

Reese Witherspoon, Jen Aniston, Jennifer Gartner. Not sure of the two on the bottom row - is the left Goldie's daughter (Kate...? Hudson - thanks google). Last one from the Titanic movie...maybe, wazz'ername?

The guys? - just kind of a blur, I don't see a thing ;)

-ERD50

I generally don't rely on memory of some formula or laws for something like this. Memory can be fragile (esp mine!). I try to think it through, like the examples I gave in post #63.

I think I can name most of the ladies, even though I don't watch much TV/movies - pick up some by osmosis (keeping in the science theme!) from my DW.

Reese Witherspoon, Jen Aniston, Jennifer Gartner. Not sure of the two on the bottom row - is the left Goldie's daughter (Kate...? Hudson - thanks google). Last one from the Titanic movie...maybe, wazz'ername?

The guys? - just kind of a blur, I don't see a thing ;)

-ERD50

If that's Jennifer Garner she needs to get her money back from the plastic surgeon.

I'll fill in some blanks. First guy is Paul Walker from the Fast and Furious movies. Second guy is Zac Efron who became famous from the movie High School Musical. Then they made a second and third. He's in his 20's so no surprise that most here don't know him. First guy on the bottom is Denzel Washington. Last women is Kate Winslet. I'm not sure who the last person is...maybe Robert Pattinson from the Twilight movies?

Top row (L-R): Reese Witherspoon, some guy, Jennifer Anniston, some other guy, some woman
Bottom row (L-R): Denzel Washington, some woman who might be Kate Hudson? Amy Schumer?, Matthew McConaughey, Kate Winslet, some other other guy.

Edited to add: it's Kate Hudson on the bottom row. So my score is 6/10.

Teeflour's Top 10 List! | POPSUGAR Celebrity

Thanks for the link. I never heard of the last person but the rest where as easy for me as the science questions seemed to be to everyone but me.

Mathew McCon(sp) is pretty recognizable considering I just finished the first season of True Detective. You would have to live under a rock to not recognize Jennifer's hair.

I hate to 'try people in the media', but I'll go as far as to say a kid needs to think before bringing a case filled with a digital clock and wires into a school. Did you see that thing? It looks a lot like the Hollywood/TV depiction of a bomb a terrorist would use.

On the surface, it appears they over-reacted with the arrest and so forth (but we don't know everything behind this), but clearly they had to take the situation very seriously. Can you imagine if they shrugged it off and it did turn out to be a bomb?

Schools are on high alert about these kinds of things. Right or wrong, I don't find it surprising that there was a strong reaction to this little project.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

-ERD50
That seems to be the argument the school system is making. But the kid says he brought the clock in to his engineering teacher who told him it was cool but he shouldn't bring it out elsewhere at school because others might wonder about it. That caution may have contributed to his alarm, making everything worse, when the other teacher asked to see it after it beeped in his backpack. This description (the engineering teacher seeing it first) was corroborated in a couple of news stories (don't know how accurate). In any event, it seems like school officials should have consulted with the engineering teacher before incarcerating the kid.

Speaking of overreactions, a bunch of twitterers have asked why all the bleeding hearts didn't react like this to the kid suspended for a gun shaped piece of toast. The irony is that the everybody did react to the gun shaped toast incident which is why someone would even think to bring it up and why everyone hearing the quip remembers the incident.

Last edited:
I used to bring stuff to the science classroom in high school that would land me in Gitmo today.

I built a quarter shrinker and fired it off in physics class behind a piece of plywood. I blame the teacher for not knowing how loud it was going to be :D. No cops were called though....different times i guess.

Thanks for the link. I never heard of the last person but the rest where as easy for me as the science questions seemed to be to everyone but me.

You're welcome. BTW, I found the page by inserting the image into an app called Reversee.

I've experienced otherwise. Couldn't get those beans done in time in Denver!

Anybody who does serious baking has probably run across recipes where times were adjusted for altitude.

Audrey - Prior to your post I thought - Who cares if boiling temps are different at different altitudes? Then you brought up the beans problem - put this into perspective enough for me to research it a little. There's more of a difference than what I expected. But wouldn't the beans cook faster in Denver at 203° than in LA at 213° , if this graphic is correct?

Attachments

• FT__15.09.11_boilingPoint.png
    FT__15.09.11_boilingPoint.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I used to bring stuff to the science classroom in high school that would land me in Gitmo today.

I built a quarter shrinker and fired it off in physics class behind a piece of plywood. I blame the teacher for not knowing how loud it was going to be :D. No cops were called though....different times i guess.

I'm impressed. A quarter shrinker seems like a pretty big project for a high school kid. What year was this?

10/12 on the science test.

I missed the boiling water question and the magnifying glass one.

Not bad for a non-science person. I'm more about numbers.

Audrey - Prior to your post I thought - Who cares if boiling temps are different at different altitudes? Then you brought up the beans problem - put this into perspective enough for me to research it a little. There's more of a difference than what I expected. But wouldn't the beans cook faster in Denver at 203° than in LA at 213° , if this graphic is correct?

At high altitude, the water will boil (and evaporate) at a lower temperature. It's not the act of boiling that cooks the beans, it's the exposure to heat X time. There is no point in turning up the heat, because the water will just evaporate faster. You just have to wait longer for dinner to be ready!

Safe Cooking at High Altitudes | FoodSafety.gov

Baking will require adaptation too. Dough will rise faster.

Baking and Cooking at High Altitudes - Betty Crocker

At high altitude, the water will boil (and evaporate) at a lower temperature. It's not the act of boiling that cooks the beans, it's the exposure to heat X time. There is no point in turning up the heat, because the water will just evaporate faster. You just have to wait longer for dinner to be ready!

Safe Cooking at High Altitudes | FoodSafety.gov

Baking will require adaptation too. Dough will rise faster.

Baking and Cooking at High Altitudes - Betty Crocker

Thanks for the explanation and links! I know nothing about cooking.

Last edited:
Never considered myself to be a science geek so 11 out of 12 isn't too bad. I also missed the magnifying glass question. I am a bit surprised by all the perfect scores being reported. It's been too many years since college and I didn't spend my career in science or technology fields.
Oh, I only recognized 3 out of 12 celebs.

No - beans get done faster when cooked at the higher temperature. If the boiling temp is lowered, the cooking takes longer.

Remember pressure cookers?

I'm not sure who the last person is...maybe Robert Pattinson from the Twilight movies?

That is Chace Crawford. He became famous for Gossip Girl and has a new show coming out this fall called Blood and Oil.

I got 12/12 on the science quiz and 10/10 on the celebrities. Varied interests :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm impressed. A quarter shrinker seems like a pretty big project for a high school kid. What year was this?

I used the plans from a ruby laser power supply construction schematic with spark gap trigger. The ruby laser itself was pretty impossible on a high school budget, at least back then (now you can score a ruby rod on ebay for about what someone spends on a good latte).

It really didn't have enough energy to shrink a quarter, although it squeezed an aluminum can nicely. It was a very good copper wire vaporizer and really not something one should be building and bringing to high school.

No - beans get done faster when cooked at the higher temperature. If the boiling temp is lowered, the cooking takes longer.

Remember pressure cookers?

Ah I get it now.
Yes, my grandmother used a pressure cooker. But I was far more interested in its food than in its science.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The clock thing got me. Surely an extreme over reaction.

When I was about 12 I lived on a farm 4 miles from the school in "town". We used to take our 22s (that's a rifle although some might call it a gun) on the school bus so that we could shoot pigeons at the grain elevators over our totally unsupervised lunch hour. The guy who ran the local cafe would give us a nickel a bird. I think he ate them, but you never know, they may have ended up in the food he sold.

Science is easy. Those celebs got me. I recognized Denzel Washington and Jennifer Anniston. I figured the 1st was Reese Witherspoon but wasn't 100% sure. Of the others, half look familiar but I couldn't name them, though now that I see Matthew McD-whatever I recognize him. So that makes me 2.5/12 on the celebs.

Lol, 11 of 12 for me. :yawn: I've forgotten my gas pressure laws so I already knew I was going to get the boiling point question wrong. Instead of getting lucky on a guess, I deliberately chose the wrong answer on that one. :rolleyes:

11/12
I actually didn't remember what happened with boiling water. I'm a sea level guy.. However, I did remember the gas pressure equation and figured it from there. Ya Physic classes. I missed the magnifying glass I went back forth. I forget the old test rule, if in doubt between two answers go with your first choice.

I find most of these quiz to be pretty silly, but this one was pretty good actually tested understanding of science principals for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom