Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much is your monthly bill for TV reception?
Less than $10 33 30.84%
$10.00 - $50.00 15 14.02%
$50.01 - $100.00 40 37.38%
$100.01 - $150.00 14 13.08%
More than $150.00 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Zero here (since December). I live in a rural area with no over the air reception so everything I watch is via the Roku, primarily Netflix ($7.99 per month).
Same here except I stream through MS G's laptop and S-video cable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #42
Administrator

Today I got my cable box and I guess they accidently hooked up HBO as well as the other channels. Or maybe it is a free trial. At any rate, I am watching Avatar, a beautiful movie that I wanted to see. What fun!

And then there is Music Choice..... Maybe there is some value here for the money.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Too much! I am constantly looking for ways to reduce the cost.

I have cable TV. But may dump it next year and replace it with an antenna and lower cost streaming services like Netflix and Hulu+.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #44

Just basic cable from xfinity is $18 ... and that's about how many channels I get (18).
Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

We got rid of cable (and thus all TV reception) more than 5 or 6 years ago now. We don't miss it at all. We have an Apple TV so we can stream Netflix instant rentals, and loads of podcasts, including video versions of many news programs.

I'm annoyed I had TV for as long as I did.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
So far, the poll indicates about 1/3 of us get our TV using over-the-air (OTA) broadcasting. Nationwide, 91% of Americans have cable or satellite, only 9% of Americans use OTA. Yet, I think we've decided the net worth of the folks on this board is likely higher than the US average.

There's that LBYM thing again. But I don't think it's just the money, I think folks here probably have different priorities for using their time. Plus, more time devoted to the internet.
+1

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #47

$0 - homemade antenna. Don't miss cable at all! (switched in January)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #48

Just got our Verizon FIOS bill today so I will detail it for you, rounding to nearest $:
$30 FIOS Digital telephone (unlimited long distance)
$70 FIOS TV Ultimate HD
$40 FIOS Internet 35/35
$23 HBO/Cinamax
$4 One digital adapter (three free) (four other TV's running)
$6 Standard set top cable box rental
$16 High Definition DVR rental
($15) Valued customer rebate for 12 months (ends June 2011)
$43 State and local taxes and fees

$217 Total

Sounds like alot but it really is our primary source of entertainment. DW also has a Blue Ray player and suscribes to NetFlix for $9 per month where she can download movies. No CD's to mail. This is all downloaded over the internet and streamed through the Blue Ray Player.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
But I love the HGTV/Travel/A&E/Planet Green/History type of channels ...
Me, too. Another $5 would get you the Smithsonian Channel with some first class documentaries (though also a fair amount of repetition) and several other channels, all with very good picture and sound quality.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

$0. I turned off my cable about 3 months ago when my DD pointed out how little I was watching for the price. I bought a hot-sh*t new HD TV and an antenna and now get 13 stations OTA -- 7 of those are PBS with some overlapping programming.

Bravo is the only thing I've really missed, for Top Chef. And I've found that if I wait a few days, Bravo gives up on having the illegal videos posted on Youtube and they're readily available.

So with Hulu, Netflix streaming, and Youtube, I have plenty of things to watch.

I do pay $97 a month for my Mom's cable...she really relies on it for entertainment.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
$43 State and local taxes and fees
Are you really paying $43 for taxes and fees? That sounds like an awful lot!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Verizon keeps sending me (at least 3-4 times a month) junk mail offering landline phone, internet and FIOS TV for $99 per month for the first year. I'm guessing it would jump up to about $150 or so (plus taxes) after the first year. If they'd guarantee me the $99 forever, I'd probably take it. But I get annoyed when companies offer deals like that and then the price goes way up later. It seems like bait and switch to me. So I'll stick with my over the air TV for now.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Yes, that's a lot of taxes, etc. but I'll detail that for you as well:
$10.10 FL Local CommunicationTax
5.50 FL State Gross Receipts Tax
.11 Telecommunications Relay Service
.50 County 911 Funding Fee
11.57 State and Local Sales Tax
13.50 FL State Communications Service Tax
1.51 Federal Universal Service Fee

$42.79 Total (Said I would itimize and round off. I was over by $.21)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Copied from another thread...

I have cable with DVR (no paid channels), high speed Internet, unlimited local/long distance land line telephone, and fire/security/medical alarm services. I get a discount of $187 per year on my home insurance for the fire/security/medical alarm system.

MONTHLY SERVICES
All The Best w/Home Security ..................$171.94
Includes: Basic, Standard, Explorer Pak, Digital Navigator, Digital Equipment, Digital Home Phone*, Road Runner High Speed Online, Monthly Monitoring
*Includes unlimited local and long distance calling within the United States and US Territories.
DVR Service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$12.95
Subtotal Monthly Services: . . . . . . . ..... .$184.89

MONTHLY ALARM MONITORING .. . . . . . . . . .$5.95
Taxes and Fees: . . . . . ...... . . . . ......... . .$9.96

Grand total = $201 and change
Old 04-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cable portion of my bill is $98 plus tax so I put myself in the $100- $150 category...and I
only wish that I had the courage to handle the wrath of the home world if I would switch to
over-the-air only
Old 04-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I pay about $50 ish for Dish...

I pay an additional $20 for internet TV for my wife...

I wished I paid zero... but have gotten used to the DVR... I do have a DVR that does record over the air, but it does not have a TV guide etc. so you have to program it for every thing you want... the DVR picks up things that I want and does not record if it is not new... so a benefit...
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't pay anything monthly for tv. However, I do watch a fair amount of it.

I have a home built DVR that is pretty much the center of entertainment in my living room hooked up to a 42" screen. It has thousands of classic video games on it. Plus a DVR built in that records lots of stuff in HD from OTA. I also use it to download and play a movie here and there. It holds all my music and plays it out through a surround sound system. And it also has a nice interface for watching hulu (just the free stuff) and some other free tv streaming sites. I could have a lot more if I added hulu plus or a netflix subscription but I find I already have plenty to watch with the free stuff. The box is innocuous looking and fits in the entertainment center underneath the tv. I can control it 100% with a remote but a wireless keyboard and mouse tucked away in an end table make navigation a bit easier. Plus you can pull stuff up on the web like photos, sports scores, weather, youtube videos, or just something interesting you want to show to a friend.

The only thing I really miss are some premium shows on HBO and such. I loved six feet under and the sopranos. But the solution there is either download them, or wait for the dvd's to come out and then buy them second hand and sell them when I'm done.

Beats the heck out of $150+/month, yikes. It took some know-how to setup, but I like doing stuff like that anyway and it's fun to show it off to friends.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #58

Quote:
Sue J, thanks for questioning the tax portion of my Verizon bill that I detailed after your post. I got to thinking about that and went back and looked at some bills from four and months ago. The taxes were a lot less than now and so I called Verizon. They had no explanation but they are submitting an inquiry to their accounting group to research this. Without your post I might have gone blindly on. Thanks again for questioning my post.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Sue J, thanks for questioning the tax portion of my Verizon bill that I detailed after your post. I got to thinking about that and went back and looked at some bills from four and months ago. The taxes were a lot less than now and so I called Verizon. They had no explanation but they are submitting an inquiry to their accounting group to research this. Without your post I might have gone blindly on. Thanks again for questioning my post.
That's my frugality favor of the week! I hope it saves you some money going forward and that they send you a nice refund if it was charged in error in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
The only thing I really miss are some premium shows on HBO and such. I loved six feet under and the sopranos. But the solution there is either download them, or wait for the dvd's to come out and then buy them second hand and sell them when I'm done.
Have you tried a library for TV series on DVD? My local library has a ton of these and I've enjoyed watching an entire series from beginning to end. Many of the HBO ones are very popular.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #60

$65/mo for basic Direct TV programs.