Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How Much Do You Share Here?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How Much Do You Share Here?

There have been 2 questions rattling around in my head recently that I wanted to ask fellow forum members. One of them was posed in the E-R.org Critical Mass Thread. I think I'll ask the other one now.

What kinds of information are you happy to share here and, more importantly, what sort of information wouldn't you divulge? Naturally, your reasoning will make your answer all the more interesting.

The main consideration for me in deciding whether to share something or not is the knowledge that this is a public forum, and my posts will be here (presumably) for quite a long time. Who knows, they may well be residing on various archival servers for a very long time even if E-R.org were to no longer be around. Although I have the appearance of anonymity, I have left enough clues in my digital footprint as well as in the wordings of my various posts, that anyone could pretty easily find my real identity (if they were so inclined). With this in mind, I don't share anything that I would be too bothered about if anyone were to find out who the "real" Major Tom is.

With this in mind, I am happy to share financial information - actual dollar amounts as well as percentages. There may be a few people who I'd prefer that they not know my financial details but ultimately, it wouldn't really rock the boat that much were they to find out. As a result, I share that information. I'm also happy to share general personal information (I ride a bicycle, I love cats, I recently finished watching Dexter and am now looking for a good British series to watch, just about the best show I ever went to was the Rolling Stones in Oakland last year - that sort of personal information).

However, I do not share details of personal relationships. I'm happy to share general things, such as the fact that SO and I live about a mile apart, we see each other once or twice a week and talk every day - things like that. I don't, however, share details of serious relationship problems. A big part of the reason for that is that because this relationship involves 2 people, anything I share will also be information about her and deciding whether to share this information is not purely my decision. It would be unfair (and in my opinion, disrespectful) to share that type of information here. I do confide with friends and family members about such matters though, and some people may feel that this is not significantly different from sharing such information online. I'd be interested in your opinions.

Please note that I am not in any way criticizing those who do share details of personal relationships here - I'm simply giving my reasons for not doing so. IIRC, most of the more personal threads have been by people who have a greater degree of anonymity than myself, and who didn't hang around much after their lives were back on track. Once again, this is no way meant as a crticism. Perhaps I'm just an uptight Brit

So - what do you share here, and what will you not share?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Much LESS than I used to............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

MajorTom I also feel comfortable sharing many of the same details you mentioned including dollar amounts, investments, strategies etc. I know many here don't and that's OK. When I'm on the car related forums (my hobby) I don't mind posting pics that show the license plate of my car(s). That used to be a big no-no there at one time but again I felt comfortable and I now notice that most others don't bother covering up their license plates either...it's nice to see the shifting of the trend. I figure the govt (heck forget them, even Amazon and Google) knows more about me, my habits etc than I realize myself, thanks to all the little electronic bread crumbs we leave behind. I bet I even know several posters here in real life but I don't know them nor do I really want to know unless they want to tell me in real life. Some privacy or should I say anonymity is a good thing like I wouldn't want an ex spouse of mine to be getting their daily RSS feed about my NW from here either
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What I share is somewhat limited, but I suppose if one were masochistic enough to analyze all of my posts, a fair amount of info could be gleaned from it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
What I share is somewhat limited, but I suppose if one were masochistic enough to analyze all my posts, a fair amount of info could be gleaned from it...
+1 usually only percentages for the things that matter to me but if someone waded through all my posts they could probably connect the dots pretty easily.

Let's face it - if you know living expenses/withdrawals and WR, the division is not too complicated even though numbers is hard...

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am sure that if someone wanted to analyze my posts they could find my real identity especially if they know me in real life. But then again, what does it really matter. There is only so much privacy we really have anyway. Today privacy is different than before compared to the "good old days", but then again people lived in smaller communities, and everyone there knew everything about everyone else anyway. I guess in the past I was a privacy nut, thinking that the more people know about you, the more they can use against you. But as time progresses I am becoming less so, especially seeing how the young people view privacy today. More like they know this about me, so what. Online you can find everything about my house, size, number of rooms, images, taxes paid, and I am sure much more. So now I am even thinking about getting a Facebook account someday (although with my family and friends posting there, nothing is unknown about me anyway). Sometimes you are happier if you just lighten up and stop worrying. But then again if you have enemies...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've shared that I like the Cubs, Red Sox, and Patriots. I shared a little about how I planned to retire. i shared that I live in a semi-cold place. I also shared a fair amount of music (maybe too much).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
I am sure that if someone wanted to analyze my posts they could find my real identity especially if they know me in real life. ......
And all this time I thought you were Bill Gates.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

He still could be. Didn't I read that Bill Gates retired recently?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I pretty much share on this forum what I would feel comfortable sharing with acquaintances in real life. I am a bit more open with regard to finances here, but I rarely divulge actual dollar amounts.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I talk a bit about myself so that the readers know a bit more about my personality, and my background. And I often think that I already share too much.

I have not done anything bad to have to hide, but I want to stay anonymous. I do not want to get recognized in public.

By the way, I joke quite a bit while maintaining a serious tone, particularly in writing. Even close friends have said that they sometimes could not tell if I was serious or not. I told them that when in doubt, do not take me seriously.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #12

I don't worry about it too much. I write whatever I want, but the censors will only pass through the parts the warden permits.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
I am sure that if someone wanted to analyze my posts they could find my real identity especially if they know me in real life. But then again, what does it really matter. There is only so much privacy we really have anyway. Today privacy is different than before compared to the "good old days", but then again people lived in smaller communities, and everyone there knew everything about everyone else anyway. I guess in the past I was a privacy nut, thinking that the more people know about you, the more they can use against you. But as time progresses I am becoming less so, especially seeing how the young people view privacy today. More like they know this about me, so what. Online you can find everything about my house, size, number of rooms, images, taxes paid, and I am sure much more. So now I am even thinking about getting a Facebook account someday (although with my family and friends posting there, nothing is unknown about me anyway). Sometimes you are happier if you just lighten up and stop worrying. But then again if you have enemies...
This... Except the facebook part. I refuse to be assimilated into the facebook collective.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #14

Probably share more than most on the personal details but try to disguise as much of the financial details as I can. Heck, if it was a requirement to post your real name I'd probably do it and write pretty much the same. Frankly, as I look at a lot of discussion boards (CNN being one train wreck I occasionally look at) anonymity generates disgusting willingness to trash any and all (thanks to the mods here no way is that the case here). I noticed that when our local paper switched to requiring real name as part of post when commenting on articles it completely dried up the traffic.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I share general info - financial info without specific numbers, former work related issues, hobbies, and limited personal info. I share more financial info here than I do with acquaintances but less personal info.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #16

Not enough for THIS :

Quote:
I have left enough clues in my digital footprint as well as in the wordings of my various posts, that anyone could pretty easily find my real identity (if they were so inclined).
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Although I have the appearance of anonymity, I have left enough clues in my digital footprint as well as in the wordings of my various posts, that anyone could pretty easily find my real identity (if they were so inclined).
Heads up. I've researched all of you guys and gals. Cross referenced and googled. I know who everyone is and it's not pretty. We're a nasty bunch. Be careful what you research. You just might find out.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:
It is interesting back in 1993-1994 the global village concept was talked about a lot. Low and behold we found out as noted one of the downsides to a global village, everyone in a village knows (or could know) everyone elses business. I don't know if this was an intended on unintended consequence of the net revolution.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And all this time I thought you were Bill Gates.
Who in the world would use Bill Gates' avatar as his? It must be Bill.

-Calvin
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Not enough for THIS :
Why is that? I'm interested in the reasoning, rather than the actual answers.

EDIT - Perhaps I should explain a bit more. The brevity of your answer, and the way you have capitalized the last word, indicates to me that you are particularly concerned that no-one online knows who you are. Nothing wrong that - I was just wondering why. In my case, I realized after a while that I had left enough clues for anyone with an interest (i.e probably no-one) to find out who I am. At that point, it wasn't that important to me, as I don't share any information online that I have a strong need to keep from others. If there's anything I really don't want a general audience to know, I either share it with specific individuals in real life, or simply keep my mouth shut.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote