Join Early Retirement Today

How much do you spend on presents?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How much do you spend on presents?

Tis the season for gift giving. How much do you spend?

Luckily my wife and I do not exchange gifts. We buy what we want throughout the year and do not use the holidays as an excuse to spend for no reason. We also like to go on nice vacations each year, so that isnt always inexpensive.

I do buy for my parents, nephew and grandparents. Parents I spend around $300-$400/each. This year it was a total of $700. Nephew around $100, and grandparents $50.

Grand total of $850.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #2

DW set a budget of 5k for this year Not that she has ever stuck to her budget. That's a big reason why I'm not FIRE.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I buy for 6 people (mother, father + spouse, sister + spouse, niece) and this year we all agreed to limit the budget to a strict $40 per person. So $240.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Each of our combined 5 children gets $100 cash. Easy peasy.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kids (3), Spouses (3). GK (4), DW and I don't exchange gifts so approx. $600 - $700
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Most of our family is dead so list is very short. Exchange small gifts with a few friends. The 5 kids get 100 each. We don’t have any grandchildren. We don’t give gifts to each other.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
...Spouses (3)
Yikes!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A couple grand.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Zip. I love it. My family culture isn't into gift-giving among adults and my granddaughters get plenty of Stuff from DDIL's side of the family. I don't see them at Christmas- will be visiting Dad and siblings in SC- and they're too young (ages 2 and 4) to grasp that Grandma hasn't given them Christmas presents. I focus on experiences- took them all to a fantastic lunch with the Sugar Plum Fairy sponsored by the Ballet and to the Aquarium, when they were here for a visit. I'm also stashing money in their 529s.

I suppose as they get older I'll want to buy them something concrete, but more thinking and imagination than money will go into it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Both of my kids wanted something on the expensive side this year. Which is fine since I have the money now. So we will spend $2000+ this time. Probably the most we have spent for Christmas.
greengo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

Zero. Years ago my sister and I gave each other the same exact gift. That was the year we decided that any gift money we would have spent would go into holiday meals instead. My husband and I stopped exchanging gifts for any / all occasions after 4 or 5 years of marriage (we are married 34 years). We have everything we need and almost everything we want from our normal day to day budget. My close family are the only folks to get Christmas cards (husband, mom, sister). Jesus is the reason for the season - the gifts and cards are noise.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #12

Very short list...nieces/nephews get $1K each (hopefully some is put away for college!) and DH and I get each other something totally unnecessary. This year we're upgrading from iphone 6s plus to the XS max. Last year, it was the Apple watches; next year, probably a 65" OLED TV. Love Christmas .
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

What Live and Learn said.

$0 for many years. Everyone in the family agrees. Makes for happy Christmases.
We help out our kids, 50's 60's, but not as Christmas presents.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A few hundred dollars. It’s not a major expense for us.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #15

I love the idea of not spending a single penny during xmas. Its a lot of unnecessary stress. Every year myself and wife have to think of things for my parents to buy us. Its easier now since we have a house and are doing a lot of renovations...but in years past...I would just say "give us money, or dont get anything."

This will be the first year wife isnt mailing out xmas cards. It seems every year we would get fewer and fewer. Im 35 and she's 34...a lot of our friends have stopped doing it over the years.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #16
gone traveling

We budget a $100 per month for Christmas gifts I doubt we will use all of it, the boys really enjoy this time of year.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Zero. I was born Jewish but have been an atheist for over 40 years, so December 25th has always been nothing more than the day after the 24th and before the 26th.

Like what some others her have written, I don't need a so-called holiday to buy something for my ladyfriend. If she happens to need something this time of year, then I buy it. Often, I buy her something extra special (and sometimes expensive) for her birthday which is in late March.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This year a lot more than usual since I am buying the DW a new car. I guess if I waited until January I'd just call it a major purchase but since it's going to be bought and paid for late next week, I'm calling it a Christmas gift.

Most years it's between 2 and 3k.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

About a grand and a half. I will give my son a check for a grand to buy what he wants.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Each of our combined 4 children gets $500 cash ($ from an inheritance paid in December) Then $400 on social friends, work friends, church gifts, and extra donation to 1 local NPO.

DH and I spend very little $ on each other. Mostly gifts that we find at thrift store or $1 store. We buy simple gifts that reflect trips we will take (Coffee from Kona - hint - trip to Big Island) .
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote