Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Andy very interesting post.

Could you give a range of CPMs that you get for your forums.

Just curious to see the changes from my old print and web advertising days in the last century..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Could you give a range of CPMs that you get for your forums.

Just curious to see the changes from my old print and web advertising days in the last century..
$.05 to $1.50. That's right, $.05 for 1,000 impressions!

Blogs are very different then forums when it comes to the traffic profile. They are more "content sites" in that people are not so much engaged in conversations and more in reading/surfing mode. I don't have much experience with blogs but I know all websites take a lot of work to start and maintain. Probably like most business most fail in the first 5 years and the others are ongoing concerns.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My blogs cost me about $400/year. OK, I'm not actually selling ads, and I could host my blogs much more cheaply or perhaps even for free.

It's hard to say how much. Google AdSense in particular specifies you shouldn't tell people how much you make. And in the case of AdSense income per unit varies based on the web page topic.

There are a couple of ways to go about trying to make money. (Or so I've read.) One is to create as many websites as possible with lots of ad-laden fluff articles targeting higher paying keywords. As a consumer of information I hate this idea, but a lot of people are doing that. Another is to regularly build interesting content to attract a regular viewership which at some point gains critical mass and attracts a lot of search engine and referral traffic. I like this idea, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of time, and there is no guarantee it will result in income or a decent income.

My big problem is follow-through, but I tried starting a few sites with the idea of making money, and at one time I was a volunteer administrator of this site. I decided that although I can maintain the mechanics of the sites effectively I am not interesting enough on my own to get a good site started, for financial topics, anyway. This site got started with people who knew Dory36 from other forums and people who came here to discuss Firecalc. At this point I think the forum is self-sustaining (to a point) as source-of-knowledge community and search engine target, but it took a few years of people being interested in Dory36 and Firecalc to get there. Arguably it also took some uniqueness in the Firecalc application and continual updates and support.

My thoughts are that it's better to start blogging a topic only if it's interesting to do so for free or at a slight cost, otherwise it may be hard to be motivated to keep on, and the content may not be interesting enough.

I probably wandered off on my own tangent there, but that's what I do. What is an individual poster here worth? Most of us, probably little or nothing. I think it's a function of the size and activity of the site, the topics discussed, and to a smaller degree the intelligence of the conversation. But if half the active posters suddenly left and established a similar site (see Vanguard Diehards -> Bogleheads) I think it would be a noticeable shock to the site income. Not immediately, but over time and less new content is generated.

As far as the ad targeting, I've noticed they've been more sticky about that lately. Just a handful of ad companies show you the vast majority of ads, so I'm sure they can and do track you to some degree from site to site, and they are tailoring their ads for you based on your browsing. And many website logon agreement have their privacy policy stating they may share your info with their "partners". Well, I haven't checked into it, but I presume anyone who signs an ad contract with them for any amount of time could be considered a "partner". So to me they are saying they won't give your information away unless someone pays them first.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #24
Administrator

Hey BMJ, nice to see you, I hope all is well for you these day!

Re-targeting is the behavioral targeting technique that keeps showing you ads from websites you have already been to. For example, if you are on Walmart.com and then surf around the net you might see Walmart.com ads on other sites after that visit.

Behavioral retargeting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google just started allowing this a few months ago:
Google Opens Retargeting to the AdWords Masses Adotas

Although many people dislike ads, it's a lot better then having to pay for services. Just think if you had to pay to search with Google, to use free email services like Gmail & Yahoo Mail, facebook or sites like this. The Motley Fool refugees that came here with Dory did so because this site was free (and still is). MF had to change their business model because of competition from free resources. So even though ads might not be the greatest invention ever, they are better then having to pay.

Also, for the members of this site, don't forget you have some options available to reduce the ads. First you can disable the right hand column. Secondly if you like the right hand column you can turn off the top Sponsor Link box. Both of these can be found in the UserCP >> Options area of the software. As others mentioned, AdBlockers also do the trick for those who want to suppress ads on all the sites they surf to, although I am not a big fan of those
Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
So even though ads might not be the greatest invention ever, they are better then having to pay.
I agree. The problem is that many sites have ads that are so obnoxious and so intrusive that I can't get to the content. So even though it bothers my scruples a bit, I downloaded Ad Block Plus (ABP).

Quote:
As others mentioned, AdBlockers also do the trick for those who want to suppress ads on all the sites they surf to, although I am not a big fan of those
I just noticed that ABP allows you to disable ad blocking an a site-by-site basis. So you are now enabled Andy , hopefully I don't find your ads too intrusive. I do think that just encourages use of Ad Blockers, which defeats the whole purpose. It's a line to be walked, I guess.

edit/add - but I do have Flash Disabled, so I don't see those ads anyhow w/o clicking them

-ERD50
Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yes, quoting myself here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I just noticed that ABP allows you to disable ad blocking an a site-by-site basis. So you are now enabled Andy , hopefully I don't find your ads too intrusive.
Hmmm, looks like I just got a pop-up window when closing an er.org tab. I hate windows popping up. Sorry, experiment over, ABP enabled.

-ERD50
Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm, looks like I just got a pop-up window when closing an er.org tab. I hate windows popping up. Sorry, experiment over, ABP enabled.
What "Tab" are you referring to? I use MSIE and have never seen a "popup" on this site... other than that "Poll" thing a week or so ago.

I don't have any "special" ad blocking programs loaded on my machines but I suspect that there is, most likely, some built-in version in IE and perhaps in the Google Toolbar. In any event, I do nothing special to block ads or spam -- I need all the memory I can have for important things. (I am limited to 3gb in 32bit OS.) In addition, I don't have patience to wait for "something" to clear the decks before loading the screen.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What "Tab" are you referring to? I use MSIE and have never seen a "popup" on this site... other than that "Poll" thing a week or so ago.
Firefox (and most other browsers) have tabbed browsing. Just another form of a window, but attached to a main window. Just like the tabbed spreadsheets in Excel. It's possible the pop-up was not related (but it seemed to be), but I'm not going to bother to find out, the ads didn't add value for me, I doubt I'd ever click one anyhow, but thats just me.

Quote:
In addition, I don't have patience to wait for "something" to clear the decks before loading the screen.
I don't know how much memory ABP takes, it isn't a problem for me at any rate, since even fully loaded I have plenty of free memory out of my 3Gig, but that is user and OS dependant. I suppose it is possible that it is conserving memory by not loading the ads? I dunno.

And this isn't scientific, but it appears to me that everything runs faster with ABP enabled. I guess it saves the time of loading the ads, and it seems some of those ad servers can be notoriously slow. Again, not scientific, just an impression I got.

Obviously a personal choice and dependent on circumstances. Just sharing my observations.

-ERD50
Old 08-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #29
Administrator

We do not serve pop-up or pup-under ads so I don't know what could have caused that.

ABP prevents the page from waiting for ads to load so it could speed up rendering of the page.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We do not serve pop-up or pup-under ads so I don't know what could have caused that.

ABP prevents the page from waiting for ads to load so it could speed up rendering of the page.
I only jumped in because ERD50 mentioned a "er.org" tab.

Quote:
I just got a pop-up window when closing an er.org tab
I thought I was missing out on something and couldn't go to sleep until... well you know.

Good to hear that about ABP (in the past that was rare behavior). I still consider ad-blockers a waste of resources on something that is so easily ignored, however.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

OK, must have been something else then - thanks.

-ERD50