Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Does the color of a car influence your car purchase descision?
No. It's only what's under the hood that counts 8 10.81%
Not really, it's not a top consideration. 13 17.57%
Yes, but it's not a top consideration. 40 54.05%
Yes! THAT color is me! 13 17.57%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I prefer silver paint with black or maybe charcoal/grey interior. There are some makes I may consider in a dark blue or charcoal/metallic grey color but the interior has to be black or grey/charcoal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I like that burnt orange
I am a stick-in-the-mud for sure. It can take me years to feel comfortable with new things, and I tend to buy the same things over and over again. Ho-hum.

That is a popular color and I have noticed it on some attractive models. It IS a nice, rather earthy tone.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

It's pretty important for me. I like black, dark blue, silver and forrest green. That's it. My current car is black and I live in the deep south.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't care about looks but in the future I will always get white if possible. It doesn't show dirt as much. Our white Tacoma can be quite dirty and still look clean.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I am a stick-in-the-mud for sure. It can take me years to feel comfortable with new things, and I tend to buy the same things over and over again. Ho-hum.

That is a popular color and I have noticed it on some attractive models. It IS a nice, rather earthy tone.

I like the color both for appearance and functionality. The appearance is subjective. The functionality I see is that looking for one with a not too popular color, yet standing out, makes it easier to spot in a croweded parking lot.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

There is usually a selection these days so color has never been a deal breaker.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #27

I voted Yes!, I really don't acre much about car color but DW cares a lot---we ended up with a RED Jeep which is a color I did not care for but otherwise exactly the vehicle I wanted.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #28

I like many different colors but White seems to be better in the sun here in Fla.. Although I ended up with a red Toyota last year, I bought it with 100 miles on it so I didn't have a choice of color.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

You guys gotta be kidding me. How much of a car's total cost is the paint job? I'm talking Earl-Scheib class or better, not Krylon spray.

Our car criteria are pretty much: used, no rust, good engine, good repair rating, no serious work needed. "I'll take it!" What color is it? I didn't notice.

Spouse's 14-year-old Nissan Altima sedan has a dead windshield-washer sprayer pump. I haven't gotten around to looking at it yet but it'll probably be an hour of frustrating troubleshooting ([DeForest Kelley]"It's dead, Nords."[/DeForest Kelley]) followed by a $250 repair bill. So she's been passing the time by car-shopping on Craigslist.

But today she drove the car to get a new sticker for the military base, and has decided that since it's "good for five more years" then we really don't need to replace the car just yet. She saved us at least the $6500 that she was thinking about spending on the 2006 Civic hybrid.

So we bought ourselves a pizza for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I have a gray Prius.
But I'm tired of never seeming to get what I want.
There seem to be a lot of gray Prii on the road, and I'm not sure that Toyota offers a wide range of Prius color choices. A Prius would be a perfect candidate for a new paint job... burgundy metal flake with flames shooting down the sides?

Or maybe you could have this guy help you out with a paint job:
Pimped car is the world's most extreme Toyota Prius - 24 Cars blue Sky

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #30

I prefer lighter colors to darker colors because of the heat retention in the summer. I don't want white, though, because dirt shows too easily.

I also learned that light blue is not so good because the birds think it is water and take a dump on it. My first car was light blue and became a toilet for birds.

My second car was a shade of tan/grey and my current car is silver.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You guys gotta be kidding me. How much of a car's total cost is the paint job? I'm talking Earl-Scheib class or better, not Krylon spray.

Our car criteria are pretty much: used, no rust, good engine, good repair rating, no serious work needed. "I'll take it!" What color is it? I didn't notice.

Spouse's 14-year-old Nissan Altima sedan has a dead windshield-washer sprayer pump. I haven't gotten around to looking at it yet but it'll probably be an hour of frustrating troubleshooting ([DeForest Kelley]"It's dead, Nords."[/DeForest Kelley]) followed by a $250 repair bill. So she's been passing the time by car-shopping on Craigslist.

But today she drove the car to get a new sticker for the military base, and has decided that since it's "good for five more years" then we really don't need to replace the car just yet. She saved us at least the $6500 that she was thinking about spending on the 2006 Civic hybrid.

So we bought ourselves a pizza for dinner.

There seem to be a lot of gray Prii on the road, and I'm not sure that Toyota offers a wide range of Prius color choices. A Prius would be a perfect candidate for a new paint job... burgundy metal flake with flames shooting down the sides?

Or maybe you could have this guy help you out with a paint job:
Pimped car is the world's most extreme Toyota Prius - 24 Cars blue Sky
Just bought a new Prius and my color is..............gray! Maybe i'll look into the burgundy with flames.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #32

This thread reminds me of a story about one of my in-laws mother-in-law. She took her DiL and son to the dealership when she bought a new car to help with the purchase. Part of that was rendering an opinion as she jumped from car to car asking, "how do I look in this color?"

Purple metal flake is probably not going to make it with me, but most everything else is fine. I had so many different w*rk cars over the years that I've driven just about everything. The only one I had to change was a customized Suburban taken from a crack dealer. It was glow-in-the-dark white, ground effects package with running boards that had lights running their length, a cowl induction hood scoop that small children could climb through, and a whale-tail looking spoiler on the back. The front spoiler would drag on driveways, and at night the thing lit up like a UFO. We snatched a plain hood off a wreck in a friendly junk yard, and a fifth of whiskey bribed the garage guys to take off the spoiler and paint the whole thing battleship gray.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

As long as it's not pink, lime green or some other odd color, it's not much of a factor for me. My last 2 have been white which probably works out best for the south.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I buy a car every 10 - 20 years, less that 5K miles per year, don't give a crap about color.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My most recent car purchase was a Honda CR-V. I paid about $400 more to get the color I wanted (light blue, I think they call it ice blue or glacier blue) rather than something I liked less.

My logic was that I was about to spend $23000 for something that I will look at and use almost every day for the next 10 years - so spending $400 extra to get EXACTLY what I wanted was a no-brainer. It would be a shame to spend that much money and spend the next 10 years wishing I'd gotten something else.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always tend to look for lighter shades that don't show dirt and don't cause the car to get so hot in the summer. Silver right now.

Is it just me or does Ford come out with more ugly colors than any of the other car makers?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

It doesn't mean too much to me... There are certain colors that I might not prefer. My primary goal is to get a color that would not put off some other buyer if I needed to sell it. So I am ok with a range of colors with a few I would avoid.

However.... to my DW... color is a primary decision factor... not the only factor... but certainly a key one. When we car shop (not a frequent event)... she even states: "I want a [color] car"!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
As long as it's not pink...
You mean like this one? That's my nephew beside the car. My father bought the car because it was cheap. I wonder why it was so cheap?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Duster.jpg (515.0 KB, 8 views)