How much does your gym membership cost?

Been waiting for LAFitness to finish the gym.. now over 5 months past the date they said it would open...

Will be $30 per month plus taxes... but it has 45,000 sq ft.. basketball court, raquetball courts, big swimming pool, many many machines etc.. think it will be worth it for the free training courses like yoga etc..

Gym fees? We don't need no friggin' gym. :) :D :D :D :)

I lose less than a dozen days a year to rain. I have a treadmill for those days. I also use a set of spring chest pulls. The rest of my workout is sit-ups, push-ups and isometrics. :)

One of the benefits of living on a Military Base is you get free gym membership. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, but it has the necessary stuff - cardio machines and a bunch of weights. It does not provide childcare, so I am forced to get up at the crack of dawn and be back by the time hubby leaves for work (around 7:30). At that time in the AM, it is about 90% male marines, 5% female marines and about 5% spouses (of which I am the only one 8 months pregnant - stick out like a sore thumb!).

Since I own my own equipment my 'membership' is free. I have free weights, Bowflex, Elliptical and Bicycle for cross-training, and a pair of sneakers. Oh wait I think I pay $20 per year for road use in my annual car registrations. So my membership is $20 per year for unlimited use by me my wife and kid.

We belong at the YMCA. The wife and I pay $84 a month - our BlueCross health plan kicks in $20 each towards the fee if each of us go at least 8 times a month - so really $44 month and an extra incentive to go.

We do Yoga, BodyFlow and BodyPump classes which are free...also use the hot tub and sauna.
I wouldn't have the discipline to do these things for an hour at a shot with out having a class to go to....the exercise stuff I bought lay unused - finally gave it away..

It's has also been a good place to socialize

They do ALOT for the community with their many programs - by being members and donating to them we feel we are helping them to do good.

My 3 kids went to their summer camps, all later became camp counselors, life guards, swim instructors...I believe the Y experience has contributed to who they are today....

Help support your Y!

Oh and what sam said..saving on the utility bills tooo... :LOL:

HaHa said:
One of the parental responsibilities is to teach your kids to swim. It can save their lives.

Ha

True............:) It is a nice place. I have a good friend that is a personal trainer and owns a health club. He said he would give me a sweetheart deal and act as my personal trainer if I joined, but no pool or programs, other than spinning...........

Go for it Dude,
I was really surprised how much exercise is about doing it correctly. If you have the chance to work with a professional, it will be a great help.
And my boss does spinning, it kicks his butt! He is still sweating an hour after he finishes the class!

Sarah

HaHa said:
One of the parental responsibilities is to teach your kids to swim. It can save their lives.
Agreed 100%.
Little Sailor (2 y.o.) is about to graduate Infant Aquatics program.
I hope two-three more weeks and than the moment of the truth (graduation test is they throw him fully clothed in the pool and he needs to get out by himself)

Alex said:
... and a set of Selectech 'dial-up' dumbells. The dumbells are sweeeeet !! just dial any weight from 5 to 55 lbs. and pick up the dumbell, very slick.
d1_ND552.jpg

Alright, you talked me into these dumbbells. They're normally expensive, but I ordered a set from overstock for $265 and free shipping. Still expensive, but not quite as bad as retail. They arrived today, and they're perfect for my needs: a fair amount of weight in a small space.

If anybody else needs something like this, google for overstock coupons before you buy. Looks like they have a 10% coupon floating around now.

Fun to read that old thread. So Wab, I guess no hauling around construction debris anymore. And I had forgot you used to be Wabmester.

(Yes CT, I miss Bob Smith too)

wab said:
How much do you guys pay to inflict pain on yourselves?

Walking costs nearly nothing and I even found 13 cents on the ground the other day. Another 50 million pennies and I'm rich :LOL:

Martha said:
Fun to read that old thread. So Wab, I guess no hauling around construction debris anymore.

Yup, a lot has changed in two years. I'm done with the heavy remodeling and demolition work, and we've sold off all the houses except for the one we live in now.

I was leaning towards gym membership for the coming winter, but I think a treadmill in the garage and those cool dial-a-weight dumbbells might do the trick.

wab said:
Alright, you talked me into these dumbbells. They're normally expensive, but I ordered a set from overstock for $265 and free shipping. Still expensive, but not quite as bad as retail. They arrived today, and they're perfect for my needs: a fair amount of weight in a small space.

If anybody else needs something like this, google for overstock coupons before you buy. Looks like they have a 10% coupon floating around now.
wab, you are going to love them. They take away your excuses...Congrats. BTW - you got a great deal on them!

About $180 / month for me and my wife (~$90 each) :eek:.

It's a bit ridiculous but it is actually the cheapest option in our area. We live in a 1,000 sqf flat so an in-home gym is out of the question. I think we'll continue getting screwed by the gym for as long as I'm working but once I pull the plug on the job, the gym membership likely goes with it.

Our gym costs $200 per quarter for both of us. It has all of the fitness equipment, weights, indoor pool and indoor track. I primarily use it for bad weather days as I prefer to run and cycle outside.

Wab, have you checked out the Athletic Club that took over the Gym? The charge for me, using just that facility, is less than before. I suppose if you want to use the new operator's tennis facility it would cost more.

Can't beat the price of the community swim center. DH designed one a few years back, says they are a nightmare to maintain which is why private indoor facilities cost so much.

I pay about $50 a year. Yes, a year not a month. But I usually buy 3 years at a time as it is a little less than $50 a year. It's all because I have been a member in some form or other. The gym I belonged to was bought out by a progrssion of other gyms. I originaly signed a contract that was suppose to be for life at a certain amount. Well much to my surprise it has remained so.

For both of of (couple's discount) it comes to $55.67 per month in Seattle.

Nords said:
Pro-whatics? What is that?

:D I don't think it means anything special, its just the name of a couple of gyms in Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom