Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much does your home cost???
Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

bpp,

thanks for the little insight into japanese housing/architecture! Most of those new houses look very "modern" compared to the much more "traditional" (from a US perspective) new housing coming on the mkt around the southern/midatlantic US.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

$36.58 / day
$0.013 / sq ft / day

Edited to correct typographical error.
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Wasn't he influenced by Japanese architecture?
wright loved japanese art, i don't know that he was influenced any more by japanese architecture than by that of the greek. while it's hard to avoid synthesis, his departure from all ancient works into a new modern architecture is what marked his deserved place in history.

above is the prairie house, here's an early 1900's japanese tea house. in regard to wab's posted house pic, you decide who influenced what (or what influenced who).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tea house.jpg (40.2 KB, 35 views)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
$36.58 / day
$0.13 / sq ft / day
Your home is 281 sq ft? An RV?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Your home is 281 sq ft?* An RV?

What do I owe you?
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
What do I owe you?
Nothing. This one's on the house.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #47

I didn't do anything with opportunity costs.

$39.18* per day
$.014* per sq. ft. per day on 2800 sq. ft.

If I drop out Cable and DSL, then those go down to:

$36.32
$.013

This includes our high 15.x cents per KWH electric rates, security lighting and 2 1/2 HP I-G pool pump, lots of A/C, in addition to the electrical loads that most of you have.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
wright loved japanese art, i don't know that he was influenced any more by japanese architecture than by that of the greek. while it's hard to avoid synthesis, his departure from all ancient works into a new modern architecture is what marked his deserved place in history.

above is the prairie house, here's an early 1900's japanese tea house. in regard to wab's posted house pic, you decide who influenced what (or what influenced who).
I didn't mean to say that Wright didn't have a big influence on modern Japanese architecture -- he was acclaimed in Japan early on, perhaps even moreso than in the US for a time -- or that he wasn't a genius. I was just trying to say that he in turn had probably been influenced by Japanese traditional art and architecture (which may also help explain his early acceptance in Japan). Here are some pictures of traditional-style Japanese interiors (from Misawa Home) that show a lot of the geometrical motifs that Wright may have picked up on (linearity, horizontals):
http://www.misawa-mrd.com/wasitu/whats/ie_index_f.html

The shelves in this example, which go back in style to medieval Japan, somehow remind me of Wright's cantilevers:

Speaking of Greek influences, there is a temple in Asuka, Japan, built around 600-700 AD, with bulging, muscular columns (a departure from previous native styles), which is thought by some to have been influenced by those of the Parthenon, at the opposite end of the Silk Road. Cross-fertilization has been going on forever.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I was just trying to say that he in turn had probably been influenced by Japanese traditional art and architecture (which may also help explain his early acceptance in Japan)...Cross-fertilization has been going on forever.
hi. yes. i got that. which is why i posted:

Quote:
you decide who influenced what (or what influenced who).
love the interior you posted. i think i would be very comfortable in a traditional japanese house. i happen to love a lot of the asian culture (and i think it is wonderful you get to live there): its people, art, design, religions, philosophies, and especially the food. not sure i'd be crazy about a 2,500 square foot lot though, my gardens already extend onto the neighbors' properties and i'm on almost a 1/4 downtown acre.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote