Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My husband paid 10 GBP in London for a hair cut while his sister paid 45 GBP at a fancy saloon. He has very thick straight hair. So even in HCOL it's not expensive.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #62

The barber here charges $8 and hasn't raised his price since we moved here 14 years ago. I give him a $2 tip, maybe I should raise that a bit after seeing what others pay.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #63

$15 plus tip.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We go to cheap places like SuperCuts. It's $11-12 even for ladies. Or maybe it's $13, I think they went up a $1 recently. But we get $1 off for being "seniors".

I only get a full haircut about twice a year. I usually just get my bangs cut, and that's half price.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not paid for a haircut in 35+ years, had two Flowbees, 4 sets of blades, now my DW has clippers she uses on me about every 6 weeks
Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

I trimmed up DH's hair with sewing shears after he grew it long post-Army years, but he put the kibosh on that when he got a real job (the long hair and my barbering duties). Not to mention it ruined the shears.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year. So, by one way of reckoning, we're now down to about 5 cents per cut. Since I keep it clipped pretty short, I have trouble dishing out $15 plus tips to have it done for me...about 3-4 minutes in the chair...not a whole lot of styling going on there. I'm hoping to get another 18-20 years out of the clipper...more if I can. I'm targeting 2 cents per clip average over time, if I can keep it running that long.
I bought perhaps the same $18 clipper maybe 15 years ago. Was it an Andis? It broke after four years and I splurged and got an $80 kit: top quality motor (quiet and cool), ceramic blade, all the guards I could want.

I've cut my own hair for twelve years. Perhaps at the same frequency as rambler. I reckon I'm at best $0.35 per cut.

I do have fond memories of getting my hair cut in Korea for $5 ($3.50 plus tip), which included a fine back, shoulder, neck, and scalp massage circa 2001. It's been a good 17 years since ive seen a barber pull out a straight razor and strop and clean up the edges properly. I'm sure they're still out there, but I haven't been looking.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #68

DH uses the flowbee on himself.

Younger son is growing his hair out - he has gorgeous curls with blonde highlights - women would kill to have hair like his. Turns out young teenage girls also like playing with his hair so he's refusing to get it cut. LOL

We were giving older son cuts at home using the flowbee for the longer hair on top - and clippers for the sides/back... but he always found things to complain about... so now we go to Great Clips... We don't get the $7 coupons, unfortunately... our mailer coupons are $9.99... plus a $2 tip.

I have long hair... I make DH trim about 4" off every 6-8 months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I am hair challenged ( top of head only). I get my haircut done at Great Clips here in Illinois. I look for the $7.00 coupons which come in the mail. Takes the stylist about 5-7 minutes to cut my hair. I'm good for a $3-$4 tip and yes, I am cheap.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
In So CA, DH pays $30 plus tip.

Also in SoCA, DH pays $25 + $5 tip.

We both get our hair cut at the same place: a neighbor has her own small salon in her casita. It's very convenient!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #70

$12 + $5 tip....Upstate NY...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #71
Administrator

Connecticut - posted price is $16; I always give him $20.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #72

OK. so I go for my monthly haircut, and its a new owner. the former owner moved to Boca Ratan to open up a kosher bakery. Well, although I dont exactly have hair like Fabio, I sure missed the old barber. He was having a grand opening special, $14 dollars the guy is singing in Spanish to me and he has an awful voice. If thats not bad enough, he pauses maybe 10 times to play(text?) with his phone. I ask him how much just in case its not the $14 that i see posted everywhere. I give him $25 and will never return. Unless Im very wrong this store will be for rent very soon
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

In Maryland, I just paid $18 with a $7 tip, about 30 minutes in the chair and he does a good job.
phil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil56 View Post
In Maryland, I just paid $18 with a $7 tip, about 30 minutes in the chair and he does a good job.
If this guy sang to me for 30 minutes. I would have wanted to die.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
OK. so I go for my monthly haircut, and its a new owner. the former owner moved to Boca Ratan to open up a kosher bakery. Well, although I dont exactly have hair like Fabio, I sure missed the old barber. He was having a grand opening special, $14 dollars the guy is singing in Spanish to me and he has an awful voice. If thats not bad enough, he pauses maybe 10 times to play(text?) with his phone. I ask him how much just in case its not the $14 that i see posted everywhere. I give him $25 and will never return. Unless Im very wrong this store will be for rent very soon
How disappointing! I got my hair cut at Supercuts today, and the stylist was such fun! She happily chatted on and on about the challenges of dealing with her 12 year old son, her own problems with her hair, her Katrina evacuation, and all sorts of stuff. That sure made it more pleasant. Much better than if she decided to sing or stop and text like your barber. I think that would have been too much! She did a great job for $13.95 (including a $2 senior discount), plus tip.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #76

Quote:
If this guy sang to me for 30 minutes. I would have wanted to die.
I've always enjoyed barbershop music. We have some great quartets and choruses around here.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How disappointing! I got my hair cut at Supercuts today, and the stylist was such fun! She happily chatted on and on about the challenges of dealing with her 12 year old son, her own problems with her hair, her Katrina evacuation, and all sorts of stuff. That sure made it more pleasant. Much better than if she decided to sing or stop and text like your barber. I think that would have been too much! She did a great job for $13.95 (including a $2 senior discount), plus tip.
I would have loved to have had the experience you described.
How Much Is A Haircut?
Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #78

How Much Is A Haircut?

Quote:

My husband got a new barber too. The old one semi retired and didn't accept any appointment until 3:30pm on weekday and full time on weekend. But the bonus is the new barber is my hair dresser, she charges a lot less, like $7 and he gives her $3 tip. Total is $10. Not only she is cheaper, she actually cuts hair and trims his eye brows and hair from his ears. She is so sweet and takes time to do things. She is careful. I don't really care for the long time she takes to do things, but I let her do her job.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
My husband got a new barber too. The old one semi retired and didn't accept any appointment until 3:30pm on weekday and full time on weekend. But the bonus is the new barber is my hair dresser, she charges a lot less, like $7 and he gives her $3 tip. Total is $10. Not only she is cheaper, she actually cuts hair and trims his eye brows and hair from his ears. She is so sweet and takes time to do things. She is careful. I don't really care for the long time she takes to do things, but I let her do her job.
Its almost worth the trip for me to go there. This guy sang worse than Alfalfa
Old 06-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Its almost worth the trip for me to go there. This guy sang worse than Alfalfa
That's pretty bad!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote