Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How much laundry detergent?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every time I run our new top load washer I wonder how much liquid high efficiency soap (Tide) to use. This article suggests maybe 2 tablespoons depending on variables like water softness, load size, etc. For instance:

Quote:
If you have really soft water, you can dial it back to 1-1.5 tablespoons of liquid detergent or 2-3 tablespoons of powder.

And again, we’re talking about a regular load of clothes here. If you’re washing fewer items, use less detergent. If you’re washing a big load or heavily-soiled items, use more.
Here is the full article: https://www.lifesavvy.com/6915/how-m...n-youre-using/

I know this is one of the big issues of our times. What do you think?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a front loader. Throw in one of the Kirkland or Tide pods! Sweet!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #3

We don’t measure it, but DW and I use a lot less that the indicator on the detergent dispenser in the washing machine. Probably half what the washer labels as the amount for a normal load. If we don’t, there are a lot of left over suds in the ring that seals the door.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #4

I probably use about half the suggested amount on the container unless there's some particularly dirty clothing in the mix.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #5

How many recycles from a single dryer sheet?

Both are big issues of our time.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I know this is one of the big issues of our times. What do you think?
I agree this is one of the biggest issues of our time. And, as I am sure everyone will agree, I think this is a very individual decision.

Some like to use small amounts, so they will have detergent for the long haul. A detergent longevity insurance sort of plan.

Others like to use a huge amount, figuring "We we can't predict the future, we may be hit by a bus tomorrow. I'd rather use the detergent while I still can."

I'm working on a Detergent Usage Calculator, to help people come up with their own detergent optimization plan. I haven't decided if I should include a Detergent Haircut feature or not. My sense is that it won't come to that, but others disagree.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #7

DH bought a new container of Arm and Hammer laundry detergent. It has a new style cap. The markings are on the inside of the cap. It’s almost impossible to see the markings for how much to use! And this new cap is opaque so I can’t mark the outside with a line to show the level to use. It’s just 2 of us here so we tend to use the minimum amount. Just dumb that the cap is so hard to use to measure.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
And this new cap is opaque so I can’t mark the outside with a line to show the level to use.
Mark the inside.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Easy to be”snarky,/complacent”; about this question right up until one calculates how much waste/environmental impact there is to aquatic pollution when we don’t pay attention to the details. If not us; then who? Kudos to OP for posting.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

Our latest machine you just fill up a bin and let the machine decide...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I have been wondering about this lately . I throw in one pod and then think should I add another ? I guess the answer is No .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
How many recycles from a single dryer sheet?
big issue of our time.
Zero.
You need bigger balls.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Sheep-P.../dp/B00GA9P5P0
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #13
gone traveling

Our Miele washer measures the detergent automatically.
The TwinDos system works great for us. Set it and forget it. I lowered the default to 38ml.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I rather like to know what size washing bat does everyone use?

Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I agree this is one of the biggest issues of our time. And, as I am sure everyone will agree, I think this is a very individual decision.

Some like to use small amounts, so they will have detergent for the long haul. A detergent longevity insurance sort of plan.

Others like to use a huge amount, figuring "We we can't predict the future, we may be hit by a bus tomorrow. I'd rather use the detergent while I still can."

I'm working on a Detergent Usage Calculator, to help people come up with their own detergent optimization plan. I haven't decided if I should include a Detergent Haircut feature or not. My sense is that it won't come to that, but others disagree.
What if you gathered all the data on wash loads that were either successful (clean clothes!) or not successful (dirty clothes or suds overflow) and created Washcalc, an opensource program that would let you set your preferences for dirt allocation (% of clothes that are really dirty, somewhat dirty, or barely need to be washed) and then run simulations to see how those loads would have fared?
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I don't think it takes much at all with my LG He top loader. There is a plastic drawer with a little place to pour it in there, and I attached an online photo of the drawer. You pour it in the right hand side only, and I usually fill it about half way. I guess maybe a couple of teaspoons? A dollop, that's it! It takes exactly one dollop of liquid detergent.

Anyway, my clothes always come out nice and clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (12.2 KB, 303 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't think it takes much at all with my LG He top loader. There is a plastic drawer with a little place to pour it in there, and I attached an online photo of the drawer. You pour it in the right hand side only, and I usually fill it about half way. I guess maybe a couple of teaspoons? A dollop, that's it! It takes exactly one dollop of liquid detergent.

Anyway, my clothes always come out nice and clean.
That is the one we have. I will have to measure dollop now. Will report back.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an HE front loading LG washer. I use just a bit (enough to cover the bottom of the dispenser) of regular detergent without any problems.

I just use a small ball of foil in the dryer instead of dryer sheets or I line dry outside.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wall-of-text follows

I know Dave was being tongue-in-cheek, but those felted wool balls really do work and can eliminate your proverbial use of our beloved dryer sheets Totally chemical free.

My wife has suffered from various skin conditions all her life. She holds regular, about twice a year, consultations with a dermatologist and is using a number of medications to manage her conditions.

In the course of researching alternatives to harsh chemical-based makeup/laundry/skin cleaners, et al, we came across soap-nuts [aka soap-berries]. These are 100% natural and are produced from a tree, related to the lychee, that grows in the Himalayan regions of Pakistan, China, Nepal and India. Now that probably sounds a bit 'woo-woo', but use of them and the dryer balls has pretty much eliminated chemicals from our laundry regimen. Disclaimer: this natural detergent won't tackle really heavy staining and dirt, but for a couple of retirees who eschew all forms of physical exertion and soil-creating activity, it really does the trick

The soap-nuts can also be used in a variety of other ways to cater for your various personal and general household cleaning needs.

Here's a link to an FAQ produced by the supplier we get them from down here in Australia Why Use SoapNuts Australia - FAQ But there is loads of info available world-wide through a simple Google/Bing/Duck Duck Go search.

Cheers - Mick
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Soap nuts sounded interesting, but I assume you have to remove them after the wash cycle or they keep releasing saponins throughout the rinse cycle(s)? They release less in cold water than warm or hot, but it’s still enough to be effective in cold water wash. I’m not keen on having “soap” residue in our clothes even if it’s a natural alternative. That would make washing a little more complicated? I may stick with Method or Persil laundry detergents.

As for the OP, many/most detergents recommend using too much for obvious reasons. But too much is definitely not better, it leaves more residue in your clothes, more nasties down the drain into the environment and costs more to use more. Whenever I’ve changed detergents, I start by using half the recommended amount and see what the results are. Usually half is enough, but just work your way up to 2/3rds, 3/4ths or whatever works. It’s not as if your clothes will be dirty if you use half on one test load.

If you’re interested in the performance and environmental impact of your detergent https://www.goodguide.com/categories...-and-ratings#/ There are many good choices, products that clean well, with safer ingredients, competitively priced and easily found in stores - even some big name players offer “good choices.”

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote