Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #61
Administrator

£20 in my wallet and £2.70 in coins.

2 weeks ago I needed £1,430 in cash at short notice so walked into the bank and wrote a check for £1,600 cash. I was SHOCKED that the teller didn't ask for id - 1st time I had ever been in that bank, which is a branch of my actual bank.

He lifted out a pre-wrapped pile of £20's with £1,000 written on the wrapper and weighed it. He then counted out 30 more £20 bills and weighed them. I walked directly to the place I needed the cash and handed over £1,430. On unwrapping the £1,000 stack she found all the correct number of £20 bills plus a £10 bill. I didn't take it back to the bank, serves them right for crappy security by the teller.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
A related question...does anyone keep an "emergency $20" in their car glove compartment ? Or lesser amounts?
I have found this habit to be extremely useful when I am in places where cash is king (no ATMs nearby).
Maybe it's a "living in the boondocks and the power may go out" thang.
Yes; I always have a "stash" somewhere in the car; probably due to my father's rule of "always having money to call home" or some such. Also a stack of quarters for those unscheduled car wash stops.

In my wallet, $237 and change.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like to keep some cash with me always and usually have between $50 and $200. The credit card gets much more use now, but there are still many times that cash is quick and convenient. My trips to the ATM are about once a month now as compared to once a week when I was working. About $50 dollars is stashed in a small container in each vehicle for emergencies.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #64

$1 Trini
5 Bolivares

$0 USD
$25 B-day check from DW's grandma. I feel bad cashing it, but then I get pressure to and fall into a Seinfeld episode.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #65

Okay I counted - $74 plus maybe $1 in coins. I sometimes go out to eat with a friend where it's easier to have cash. I pay for everything I can with credit cards and pay them off in full at the end of the month. I have to carry more than one because not everyone takes Amex, which gives me the best cash back. Free Amex through Costco.

The end result is simple banking - I write 1 - 3 checks a month.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Yes; I always have a "stash" somewhere in the car; probably due to my father's rule of "always having money to call home" or some such. Also a stack of quarters for those unscheduled car wash stops.

In my wallet, $237 and change.
Your father and my father must have been cut from the same cloth. "Always have money to call home" and "always have money to take a cab home".
I eat out for lunch quite a bit (3xweek as I still w*rk) and many of the dining spots are little individually owned places that do not take credit cards. And I always leave a tip in cash and generally tip at least twenty-five percent...more if I ordered some dinky thing like a cup of soup. It is just as much work to bring the soup and inquire after you as a luncheon platter.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #67

$0 in my wallet

$376.93 in my pocket

I pay cash for anything less than about $500, then debit. Last 3 credit card bills have been $0, $0, and $36.32 (Visa hates me).
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
wonder if the US will ever eliminate 1 dollar paper money and use coins like O' -Canada - eh?
You mean the "Looney?" It would seem to make sense since paper dollars wear out easily and money could be saved by not printing replacements so often.

I have $18 in my wallet. I usually get $40 at a time and $60 when I travel.

Milkman
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I have about $30.00 in my wallet now & I'm about ready to hit up an ATM. I generally take out $200.00 every 2-3 weeks. I have no idea where it goes but I'm not tracking that close.

Big change from Japan. They don't believe in credit & are just starting to see debit cards. In 2008, I regularly took out $2000.00 equivalent and felt very comfortable carrying it around. Of course, it took over $100.00 to fill up the car (small Nissan) and a medium cost dinner with one drink was $60.00/person.

I had a local credit card but rarely used it. First time (about 1998) was in a big electronics store and none of the clerks had ever seen one. They had to call a store manager to tell them what to do with it.

Lorne
Tractor guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$47
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Am I the only one to wear a money belt? Always carry $500 in it for emergencies. Haven't had one for several years, so don't know why I still carry that amount. A carry-over from being on the road in sales for 30 years.

$63 dollars in money clip, in front pocket. Mostly pay for purchases with cash back credit card and BP or Shell gas card.

Change goes into coin holder in car. Never carry any.
tjwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

$0 at this time. Only a few receipts for stuff I paid for. Usually, I try to keep about $40 in my wallet. But my first choice is to use plastic (paying off the balance each month, of course).
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

A bit over $500 now.
Leaving for another trip tomorrow.
Keep it in my front pocket.
never any $$ in the back pockers.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
Am I the only one to wear a money belt? .........
I use one when I am overseas, but I never thought to wear one everyday. In fact I don't wear any belt everyday.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote