Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much should a mattress/box spring cost?!?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wab...I agree with you!

Hows that?

Martha - the local costco and sams I go to frequently have the mattresses set up. Both will take down a mattress and box spring set and lay them out for you to try. Both will load it into your truck or let you order it online and have it delivered.

My current pair are a $1000 mattress I bought from a boutiquey place 7 years ago when I was blowing money. The other is a $450 set from sams club. We prefer the sams mattress for comfort, and the expensive one already had a huge bow in the middle...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #42

Last time I checked, I found that the mattress industry is pretty corrupt. For example, the name brand companies will give the models different names for different stores, making it impossible to compare prices.

We ended up buying a hunk of foam, plus a thinner hunk of "memory foam" on top (and mattress cover, of course). This has been quite comfortable
Old 06-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I like latex foam mattresses because of the natural mold resistance latex has, given my allergies. I am thinking next time around to do what it looks like Tbone did; buy foam and make our own mattress. You can buy latex foam and the Tempur-pedic type foam and put together a nice inexpensive mattress. Lots of websites sell foam and will cut to fit.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Three industries that seem to try to obscure their products...cell phones, health care and mattresses...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Three industries that seem to try to obscure their products...cell phones, health care and mattresses...
I'll give you mattresses and cell phones. I think healthcare is too disorganized to be that sneaky.

How about Cable TV, ANY utility, and the winner? I'd say the airlines

Old 06-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Is "government" an industry? They get my vote...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:45 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

You know what else is a ripoff with mattress sales--box springs. More companies are making bed frames in a platform type of style so no box spring is necessary. We don't use one because they are dust collectors. I think they really are not necessary and just something else the mattress companies want us to buy. And then say if you don't buy it, your warranty is invalid.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I never had any problems with catv and utilities...they hook you up send you a bill and you pay it.

The other three, you need several pages of scorecards to compare two products even from the same company.

Theres a reason for that... :P
Old 06-13-2005, 05:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
You know what else is a ripoff with mattress sales--box springs.* More companies are making bed frames in a platform type of style so no box spring is necessary.
Yup, we skipped the box-spring and went with a platform bed this time around. There's quite a bit of variability in the quality of platform beds, though. Just make sure you get good quality hardwood slats, ideally with a center cross bar (parallel with the side rails) and a fifth leg (in the center) or other types of improved center support. Otherwise, the whole thing will sag in the middle (especially with a king-size bed).
Old 06-13-2005, 06:04 PM   #50

Our two platform beds have tons of storage beneath them.* One is from Oysterbed; it's nice and high, with 8 drawers.

The other I made myself.* Also very high with a hatch and large compartment underneath.* Love that extra storage space!

Both just have plywood under the mattresses, and are super comfortable.* I drilled lots of large holes in the plywood for ventilation.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like latex foam mattresses because of the natural mold resistance latex has, given my allergies. I am thinking next time around to do what it looks like Tbone did; buy foam and make our own mattress. You can buy latex foam and the Tempur-pedic type foam and put together a nice inexpensive mattress. Lots of websites sell foam and will cut to fit.
Thats my plan when my current expensive-o mattress becomes so concave that the dogs cant get out of it anymore. I'll look at latex and firm foam foundations in the ~6" range and add the two 2" memory foam toppers we bought from overstock for $75 a pop (cal king). I'm not recommending those because they probably suck and are far superceded by a lighter weight, faster version that costs more and wont be available for six more weeks.

Wrap that in one of the wool mattress pad/covers we have and plop it on one of the foundations we've already got.

By the way, many mattress companies will void their warranty on the mattress if you dont buy the matching foundation at the same time. So I've heard. I've also heard that you cant get squat from a mattress company with regards to warranty payouts/replacements anyway as the warranties are written with enough escape clauses to make them worthless.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just got the new Consumer Reports which did a report on mattresses.* Basically, it said you don't get a lot more by spending more and all but the cheapest mattresses will wear well.*
I can vouch for that. I've spent years sleeping on a slab of foam rubber 4" thick, 28" wide, and 72" long. (We submarine officers rate the really thick, cushy ones.) Just about any mattress in the world is pearls before swine as long as it doesn't bow like a hammock.

Quote:
The magazine recommended trying a mattress you are interested in for about 15 minutes.
That's a challenge. If I lay on a mattress for 15 minutes (by myself) I'd go right to sleep. And if I tested it with my spouse then we'd probably be asked to leave the store. Or could we get a discount for that?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #53

It's depressing that we're so old that we spending a lot of time discussing mattresses!

Here's a tip about the memory foam. This is the stuff that holds the impression of, say, your hand -- doesn't spring back. This is what's used on the Tempurpedic mattresses.

The tip is that if you spend a lot for memory foam and then buy a heavy or tight mattress cover, you won't get the benefit of the memory foam. You've got to get a springy or a loose mattress cover or the foam can't mold around your body parts.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #54

I haven't tried the memory foam thing (my wife had years ago, and she hated it).* * But I've heard that if you sleep directly on top of it, it doesn't "breathe" well, and you'll probably be warm and sticky after a while.* *Some people like warm and sticky, I suppose.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Some foams 'breathe' better than others. Cover them with a regular old wool mattress pad/cover and whats underneath is more or less irrelevant. Foams also run in the 3.3-5.7 (give or take) I think the measurement is lbs/in or some such dang thing. Bottom line is 5.7 is firmer and scushier than 3.3. Temperpedics are 5.7. Cheap foams are 3.3. I've been buying 4.5 or 4.7. Its soft, inexpensive, and holds the 'form'. I find the 5.7 a little too tough. In general for most people under 220ish lbs, 2 inches of foam cover is all you need. If you sleep on your side and/or weigh a bit more than that, 2.5-3" will more than suffice. A skinny little fella like some of you could get away with 1.5" but I wouldnt recommend it.

So a good strategy might be to buy a 1.5" in the 4.5-4.7 range. See how you like its scushiness. If you want firmer, get a 1.5" pad in 5.7 and lay it on top of that other one. If you find it too hard, get a 3.3 and lay that on top of the 4.5.

You get the idea...