Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

~3700 sq ft mostly finished, about 1/3 of that is in a finished walk out basement. Designed and built during the dot.com bubble. I would do things differently if I was building it now, as I could easily see taking off about 1000 sq ft, but I'm not motivated to downsize and move. I don't know that the utility bill savings would ever make up for the real estate commission I'd have to pay. Besides, I really enjoy the space for a pool table and train layout, and having room for guests is nice because rentals at the resort are expensive--there's no cheap motel just down the road.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in a 40-year-old ranch style tract home, just under 1400 sq-ft, 3 BR, 2 bath, decent sized kitchen with adjacent dining room and a living room. The house is plenty big for just the two of us, however, the attached "two car" garage is really only large enough for one vehicle and I often wish it was a bit larger.

Our back yard is fairly large by today's standards and includes a 500 sq-ft deck with a built in hot tub and a 400 sq-ft covered patio.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #23

3,400 sf, 3 br, 3.5 bath, 3 car garage with detached 500 sf garage / workshop on 5 acres in Il. 1,300 sf, 2 br, 2 bath, 1 car garage condo in Az. I like the condo for easy maintenance, but I like the house for more space.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Our recently constructed home (designed by DW with some input from me) is 4000 sq ft. We've got 3000 downstairs, where we live. The 3 bedrooms upstairs are kept for guests. Since we now live by the ocean, we seem to be much more popular, and have used the space a fair amount.

When we don't have guests, we keep the AC set higher upstairs, and we'll keep the heat lower in the winter. It was part of my plan to limit costs. Seems to be working fairly well so far.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We have an ~1800 sq ft colonial, 3 beds, 2 baths. It works for the two adults, two kids, two dogs, and the evil cat. Only thing I miss is a garage, which was converted by the previous owner to living space. DW uses this as her office and it doubles as a guest room, so its OK. Since we park the travel trailer in the driveway, we have overflow space for guests, although we have not used it for that as of yet.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our retirement home is in Fla. and we have 2583 sq ft. living. 4 bedrooms 3 baths 2 1/2 car garage. (wish I had 3 car garage)

DW is breaking my shoes for a pool. Pools in Fla. are very expensive last quote we got was 76K, crazy.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
DW is breaking my shoes for a pool. Pools in Fla. are very expensive last quote we got was 76K, crazy.
:confused:

We put one in less than 4 years ago. Including the large enclosure, pumps, paver decking, coping, and a fiberglass (i.e. expensive) pool the whole thing was under $40k. It's about 15' x 32'.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The 3 bedrooms upstairs are kept for guests. Since we now live by the ocean, we seem to be much more popular, and have used the space a fair amount.
Pssst...Motel 6.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My condo has 860sq ft. Far more than I need. I may get a roommate since it has a second bedroom and 1/2 bath. Couldn't imagine filling 1000sq ft let alone 3 or 4x that much.
Aaron, this may be of interest should you ever wish to move from a condo to a house: The Little House - Home [approx. 312 sq. ft.].
Old 07-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

How about 1 m wide (3ft)?

http://freshome.com/2007/11/06/narro...-1-meter-wide/

During the economic downturn of the early 90's, I used to joke with my friends that all I would need were two coconut trees on a beach front in Hawaii. Two trees, because that was what I needed to stretch out a hammock. A person really does not need much.

As stated, my home in the mountain is not big, but I have a bit of land. The frontage of the lot is 250ft. And the adjacent lots are empty. No coconut trees, but a swingset on the deck, a good breeze with temperature in the 70s to rustle the pines, and it's as good as Hawaii. Well, at 7000ft, for 5 months of the year anyway.

One may not need the big house, but the space. This may be the reason I have not travelled to Asian countries. I would feel suffocated.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #31

Ours is 2600 sq ft on two stories. As of now it's just the wife and I along with one dog and two cats (which I would love to evict).

We moved from a 1000 sq ft condo so we still have not come close to filling this thing with furniture. We're still "working" on the kids part so we have two extra bedrooms that are just sitting waiting to be filled.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Ours is 2600 sq ft on two stories. As of now it's just the wife and I along with one dog and two cats (which I would love to evict).
Dog or cats or all 3? And why? Wife got cats, and dog is your?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

1692 sqft.

Recently new windows and vinyl siding too.

-Raymond
Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #34
Administrator

I live alone in a 1558 square foot house. I plan to retire next year and move to an inexpensive part of the country, where I can afford any size home.

So, I'm not sure what size house I will have in ER. At the moment I am thinking around 1600-1900 square feet. However, at various times in the past year I have thought 1200-1400 square feet, or 2300-2500 square feet, or anywhere in between. I really don't want to end up with too much maintenance, though. Maybe I will stick with 1500-1600 square feet.

I would tell your wife that you need a handyman and yardman (if you don't have one) to help you take care of your large home. Maybe then she would be more inclined to downsize.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Americans in general have absurdly large houses and average sq ft has been increasing for years.For a number of reasons it's likely this trend is starting to go in reverse.The Mcmansion era may be largely over.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two adult boomers, house is 975 sq feet plus detached 1-car garage. It feels huge after traveling overseas, but after a few months in U.S. it feels small. I wouldn't want any more space or I'd fill it with more stuff. I have too much stuff, not too little space.
In this climate (Anchorage) the garage is a really nice thing to have, even though it's not heated. Lots less scraping ice off the windshield.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Here is the funny thing. Even though I like my 3700 sq ft house, I just sold an 1850 sq ft house I had as a temp residency for 5 years in Austin, and loved it. And I only used the front formal rooms (~500 sq ft) as a home office, and could easily have done without it. And I liked that house nearly as much.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post
I am 52 DW is 47 & we look forward to "Have Funds Will Retire" stage of our lives.

Our House is a full 3600 sq ft (Heated & Cooled)4 bed 3 bath 3 garage, and has & is serving us well. I want to downsize as the House maintenance is becoming a chore & comes in the way of spending time in other joyfull activities apart from the huge expense involved.

Our baby will soon be leaving home for college, at which time me & my wife will have the house for ourselves. I want to downsize and DW does not, & we keep going to & fro in our deliberations. She wants enough space for children & future grandchidren visits, apart from the relatives & friends who visit us often(We live in Florida).

We wonder how much sq feet living area, other 50 plus yr olds live in ?
There is just the two of us...(six if you include the cats) rattling around in 3300 sq ft. We do not use all of the space. However I bought the place in 1992, in Philly. Which means I bought during a recession in a city people were hot tailing it out of. ( Out migration has slowed a bit I'm happy to say.) This place was cheap. Very low mortgage and taxes. Dear Husband and I did try to down size just after we got married six years ago. Sticker shock convinced us it was cheaper to keep her and so we are doing the home remodel bit and staying put.

The place suites us. We are within walking distance to public transportation of all sorts so no longer need a second car. ( We could count the scooter I guess) We can get to the burbs easily for shopping and in town (20 min.) for all of the arts and entertainment we love. We plan to leave here feet first.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I have a 500 sq ft apartment in the central city. I also have a pretty good sized storage area, maybe 25 sq. ft, and a shared room to keep my bicycle.

I could get more space for less money by moving a little farther out, or into a worse neighborhood. Sometime I might. If I were to do that, it would likely be the farther out option rather than the more gunfire option.

BTW, anyone know how much living space is in 40' monohull sailboat?

Ha
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #40

We currently have 1750 sq ft and find that to be adequate for two adults and two teenagers. DW works from home and uses BR#4 as her office.

We had 2400 sq ft on two levels plus a 1600 sq ft unfinished basement when we were on the east coast but downsized when we moved back to CA.

The biggest problem when we down sized was realizing that the problem was not that we had to little space but that we had to much stuff and that we would actually be much more comfortable in the smaller space if we got rid of some furniture and other possessions.

MB