Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much $$ to add skylights to my home?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a 22x45 standard to me.

Dont ask me how I determined that. Some secrets are better kept.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

47 by 31

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, you folks, leave my DW alone!!! She just ran into the kitchen and stuck her head in the fridge. She hardly ever does that--without a plate in her hand. Plus, she asked me to make potato pancakes for supper. What's that all about? (I haven't made them in years.) Or . . . tell her to stay out of the kitchen, so I can sniff varnish in peace. Thank you very much. Everybody here is messing with my play-snack-nap routine. Stop it . Next she'll be crawling under the RV.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We imported Velux roof windows from Denmark in the early 70s (our kitchen was used in their ads by their first US rep), we sold that house and used the same brand ten years ago when we built our current home (we have 6 - rectangles). *The only time water was an issue was when a j..ss who was applying a moss retardant on the roof used a hose on a vent - and then it was a dribble. * 60 mph winds parallel to the roof line are not record breakers were we are.

Note Martha's skylights, the are elevated above the roof and doubtless well flashed. *The framework is probably flashed like a chimney that penetrates the roof plane. *

I agree with others regarding the living room. *If you want more light and an open feeling you can install new windows and better lighting. *An interior desecrator could take a look at your color scheme and furniture. *Re-constructing your house I don't think will be cost effective.

When a builder sites a house they rarely consider natural lighting. *If you do shop for another home make a list of your needs and desires. *When you think you have a keeper, bring an architect along on your second or third look (and no, my husband is resolutely retired).
Old 03-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Is that kinda like a transom window? At least, I think that's the term for it
I think that's the hinged jalousie window that goes over doors in 1940s film noir detective movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
That reminds me of the joke about the lady who decided to sunbathe on the roof outside her hotel room, not realizing that she was laying on the restaurant's skylight...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Note Martha's skylights, the are elevated above the roof
I did a double-take on that too, until I remember "Minnesota". Unless she wants to look up at snow for 11.5 months out of the year, you need a little elevation
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:26 AM   #27

Elevated is good...but I sure as hell can't elevate mine 2 feet above a regular old roof...it'd look too funny

Velux is the brand reccommended to em by several contractors...I have a rep coming over to show me some options.

I've ruled out the vaulted ceiling....but think a skylight in the living room would be great....maybe even a double wide.....

we'll see
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We have a skylight in our master bath, above our soaker tub. The ceiling is also vaulted and I can watch the moon from the tub -- very relaxing. The house is about 5 years old and no leaks so far.

Most of our house has vaulted ceilings. They are beautiful and make the house seem much larger. I've been wanting to paint the bedroom forever. I don't want to pay anyone to do it, but I don't want to climb a ladder that high either.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:04 AM   #29

Get an extending pole and duct-tape a paintbrush to the end of it.. (Seriously! We hired professional painters and that's what they did.) The paint they used was very thick and creamy and the brush was not your standard type--it was a big rectangle of bristles about 3"x8" at the base of the bristles.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about clerestory windows? Need to build a box to put them in, but shouldn't have a leakage problem. Might be more attractive than skylights, too, at least from the outside (personal opinion).

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Count me as another one who doesn't care for skylights. My experience is that they not only end up leaking, they do so at the most inconvenient times. I'm now in the "if you put a hole in the roof, it will eventually leak" camp.

Now, clerestory windows are neat, especially if you can open them for nice sping / fall cross-breeze.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

If you take a long look at your roof you will find many holes, plumbing vents are the most common.* The biggest leakers in the world are flat roofs, particularly those with hidden gutter spouts.* *

One thing that is great about our world is how each of us values risks and our willingness to manage them.* I am willing, if necessary, to hire someone to go up on my roof a couple time a year to make sure that plumbing vents, skylights, chimney cap are in good shape.*
Old 03-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
How about clerestory windows? Need to build a box to put them in, but shouldn't have a leakage problem. Might be more attractive than skylights, too, at least from the outside (personal opinion).

Bpp
WTF is clerestory?
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

clerestory: An upper portion of a wall containing windows for supplying natural light to a building.

The root of the word is from church architecture.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
WTF is clerestory?
This board has tremendously expanded my vocabulary. I might even start using it someday.

http://www.m-w.com/

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Ask your doctor about Clerestory... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #38

Good one, HFWR.* But you forgot this:

Most common side effects: All medicines have side effects. Most common side effects of sleep medicines include: • drowsiness • dizziness • lightheadedness • difficulty with coordination You may find that these medicines make you sleepy during the day. How drowsy you feel depends upon how your body reacts to the medicine, which sleep medicine you are taking, and how large a dose your doctor has prescribed. Daytime drowsiness is best avoided by taking the lowest dose possible that will still help you sleep at night. Your doctor will work with you to find the dose of Clerestory that is best for you. To manage these side effects while you are taking this medicine: • When you first start taking Clerestory or any other sleep medicine until you know whether the medicine will still have some carryover effect in you the next day, use extreme care while doing anything that requires complete alertness, such as driving a car, operating machinery, or piloting an aircraft. • NEVER drink alcohol while you are being treated with Clerestory or any sleep medicine. Alcohol can increase the side effects of Clerestory or any other sleep medicine. • Do not take any other medicines without asking your doctor first. This includes medicines you can buy without a prescription. Some medicines can cause drowsiness and are best avoided while taking Clerestory. • Always take the exact dose of Clerestory prescribed by your doctor. Never change your dose without talking to your doctor first. SPECIAL CONCERNS There are some special problems that may occur while taking sleep medicines. Memory problems: Sleep medicines may cause a special type of memory loss or “amnesia.” When this occurs, a person may not remember what has happened for several hours after taking the medicine. This is usually not a problem since most people fall asleep after taking the medicine. Memory loss can be a problem, however, when sleep medicines are taken while traveling, such as during an airplane flight and the person wakes up before the effect of the medicine is gone. This has been called “traveler’s amnesia.” Memory problems are not common while taking Clerestory. In most instances memory problems can be avoided if you take Clerestory only when you are able to get a full night’s sleep (7 to 8 hours) before you need to be active again. Be sure to talk to your doctor if you think you are having memory problems. Tolerance: When sleep medicines are used every night for more than a few weeks, they may lose their effectiveness to help you sleep. This is known as “tolerance.’’ Sleep medicines should, in most cases, be used only for short periods of time, such as 1 or 2 days and generally no longer than 1 or 2 weeks. If your sleep problems continue, consult your doctor, who will determine whether other measures are needed to overcome your sleep problems. Dependence: Sleep medicines can cause dependence, especially when these medicines are used regularly for longer than a few weeks or at high doses. Some people develop a need to continue taking their medicines. This is known as dependence or “addiction.” When people develop dependence, they may have difficulty stopping the sleep medicine. If the medicine is suddenly stopped, the body is not able to function normally and unpleasant symptoms (see Withdrawal) may occur. They may find they have to keep taking the medicine either at the prescribed dose or at increasing doses just to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Pregnancy: Sleep medicines may cause sedation of the unborn baby when used during the last weeks of pregnancy. Be sure to tell your doctor if you are pregnant, if you are planning to become pregnant, or if you become pregnant while taking Clerestory. SAFE USE OF SLEEPING MEDICINES To ensure the safe and effective use of Clerestory or any other sleep medicine, you should observe the following cautions: 1. Clerestory is a prescription medicine and should be used ONLY as directed by your doctor. Follow your doctor’s instructions about how to take, when to take, and how long to take Clerestory. 2. Never use Clerestory or any other sleep medicine for longer than directed by your doctor. 3. If you notice any unusual and/or disturbing thoughts or behavior during treatment with Clerestory or any other sleep medicine, contact your doctor. 4. Tell your doctor about any medicines you may be taking, including medicines you may buy without a prescription. You should also tell your doctor if you drink alcohol. DO NOT use alcohol while taking Clerestory or any other sleep medicine. 5. Do not take Clerestory unless you are able to get a full night’s sleep before you must be active again. For example, Clerestory should not be taken on an overnight airplane flight of less than 7 to 8 hours since “traveler’s amnesia” may occur. 6. Do not increase the prescribed dose of Clerestory or any other sleep medicine unless instructed by your doctor. 7. When you first start taking Clerestory or any other sleep medicine until you know whether the medicine will still have some carryover effect in you the next day, use extreme care while doing anything that requires complete alertness, such as driving a car, operating machinery, or piloting an aircraft. 8. Be aware that you may have more sleeping problems the first night or two after stopping Clerestory or any other sleep medicine. 9. Be sure to tell your doctor if you are pregnant, if you are planning to become pregnant