Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much TV do you watch per day on average?
Less than 1 hour 21 25.30%
Between 1 and 2 hours 21 25.30%
Between 2 and 3 hours 16 19.28%
Between 3 and 4 hours 12 14.46%
Between 4 and 5 hours 2 2.41%
Over 5 hours 11 13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 4 hours all in evening. An in season sporting event, and the 10 o'clock rebroadcast of The Factor.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When DH is off the road two or three hours a night but I'm also surfing on the iPad. When he's traveling the tv doesn't get turned on. He likes me to be with him when he's home and I don't complain ...it's great that he wants me to sit with him after 22 years of marriage.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
gone traveling

3 to 5 hours a day, except on Sundays during football season
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Can you say ESPN!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
On a side note, is anyone else here a fan of Pawn Stars? I cannot explain why I enjoy watching that show. Chumlee is a riot!
DS (20) loves it - along with Storage Wars. Me - not so much. But I did enjoy Auction Kings until they started putting the dudes from Michigan on there each week.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

If you want more detail you could change my vote to "about a minute a day, unless spouse wants me to watch a clip"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #27

About 1 hour a day. Mainly MSNBC during early evenings. I rarely watch anything else, no time for this.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I answered 4-5 hours per day. Some days it is more than 5 hours, some days less han 4 hours. I watch a lot of C-SPAN and PBS because I am a political junkie and hate TV commercials. I like Law & Order (and SVU) which airs on USA, NBC, and TNT on various days at various times. I watch Seinfeld reruns, Jon Stewart, and part of Jay Leno at night for laughs and get some other political junkie fixes on MSNBC and the Sunday morning talking head shows. News12, our local cable TV news station is often on in the background and I have some other scattered shows I watch throughout the day or week, 60 Minutes my favorite.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Less than one hour per year. At other people places (We have no TV at home).
I'm pretty close to this, although we actually have three TV sets, just hooked up to an antenna on the roof. Probably between two and five hours per year, on average. DW watches much less.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Help me understand the rules here - do you "win" by watching more or less TV than the next guy/gal?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you want more detail you could change my vote to "about a minute a day, unless spouse wants me to watch a clip"...
Tell me you won't be watching this just so you can say, "Oh come ON!!!..."

Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watch MSNBC an hour or two a week. Except for that and a couple of music shows (X Factor and American Idol), the TV is only turned on to watch DVDs from Netflix (some of which are television shows such as Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, and Big Love---which for some reason I don't consider them as TV shows).

I am very interested in the news, but would rather read Time Magazine or the newspaper.

I do envy people who get a lot of enjoyment from television. It's a convenient, relatively cheap, and comfortable means of entertainment. I tried watching some of the new shows (like Ben and Kate, which got great reviews) but can't get into them. I do like some movies, like independent and foreign films, but again, I don't seem to get from them what most people do.

I feel like I have to work a little harder to fill up my time and be entertained than an avid television watcher, but that's okay with me. Just wish that I had more friends who could tear themselves away from TV! And that every restaurant didn't have TVs on!

A television critic noted that the average American watches more TV than he does for his job:

There are 168 hours in a week. Let’s say the average person sleeps 7 hours per night (if you have newborns, you can laugh along with me at that number). That’s 49 hours per week, plus 56 hours per week at work (8 hours per day). So, work + sleep + Internet/TV = 152 hours. That means, conservatively put, the average American only spends 16 hours per week — or two hours per day — not sleeping, working, or watching television, and since the average commute for Americans is 46 minutes a day, it’s really only one hour and 14 minutes each day you leave yourself for showering, eating, exercising, bar-hopping, shopping, sex, and bathing.

"There are 168 hours in a week. Let’s say the average person sleeps 7 hours per night (if you have newborns, you can laugh along with me at that number). That’s 49 hours per week, plus 56 hours per week at work (8 hours per day). So, work + sleep + Internet/TV = 152 hours. That means, conservatively put, the average American only spends 16 hours per week — or two hours per day — not sleeping, working, or watching television, and since the average commute for Americans is 46 minutes a day, it’s really only one hour and 14 minutes each day you leave yourself for showering, eating, exercising, bar-hopping, shopping, sex, and bathing.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that; I’m not judging. I’m just saying, if you’re watching that much television each week, make sure you’re watching something good and not Honey Boo Boo."

The Average American Watches More TV Than The Average TV Critic

Old 09-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #33
Administrator

Does watching a film on DVD count as "TV"?
How about streaming video on the computer?
How about streaming video from Netflix on the tv?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We usually watch the local new and CBS news in the morning, same thing in the evening and DVR'd shows on nights when we are home. More watching in winter than in summer.

I watch some DVR'd football games and NASCAR races at high speed, skipping huddles and time in between plays and half-time for football and skipping green flag racing except for last 30 or so laps for races.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

2-3 hours...usually Criminal Minds, Law and Order SVU, Grimm, Masterchef.
I also love watching The Real Housewives of NJ and Bridezillas.....it is a sick addiction!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #36

30-60 minutes of news, 0-90 minutes of TV, mostly Netflix, very little current broadcast TV outside the news. Of course, cable is not in my existence.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Probably an hr a day during summer - hockey, basketball and football games in fall/winter and other stuff about 3-4 hrs a day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We watch Blue Bloods and Law and Order SVU (although spouse not so much of the latter). I'll also turn on CNN a lot when working in the kitchen alone.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #39

I don't know how to operate the remote. Occasionallly I'll sit down while DW is watching, I usually fall asleep within 10 minutes.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I don't know how to operate the remote. Occasionallly I'll sit down while DW is watching, I usually fall asleep within 10 minutes.
I'm not quite that bad yet but getting there. Recently we moved the big TV downstairs and moved the little one to the spare bedroom. I haven't gotten aroundtuit to hook up the cable for that one and, well, let's just say I don't watch the "Lifetime" channel much.