Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much TV do you watch per day on average?
Less than 1 hour 20 24.39%
Between 1 and 2 hours 21 25.61%
Between 2 and 3 hours 16 19.51%
Between 3 and 4 hours 12 14.63%
Between 4 and 5 hours 2 2.44%
Over 5 hours 11 13.41%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tell me you won't be watching this just so you can say, "Oh come ON!!!..."
The 3000+ members of Facebook's "Cold War Submariners" group have had their collective harrumphs in a curmudgeonly uproar ever since the project was announced. I'm pretty sure I'll never have to watch it because I'll be reading all about it in excruciating detail.

I hear that a spinoff will involve the crews of a B-52 bomber and a KC-135...

Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Does watching a film on DVD count as "TV"?
How about streaming video on the computer?
How about streaming video from Netflix on the tv?
Aside from the Four Yorkshiremen, I hardly have the patience to watch a YouTube video or two on this site. I'm saving all the DVDs and streaming video for when I'm immobilized and can't do anything else all day.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I hear that a spinoff will involve the crews of a B-52 bomber and a KC-135...
A remake of "Dr. Strangelove"?

Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
Possibly more than anyone else here(?) I dunno. Television can be distraction therapy for some.

When DW & I first got together, we didn't have (couldn't afford) a TV - a decent stereo was higher on our priority list. We listened to quite a bit of radio back then - anything from CBS Radio Mystery Theater to Dr. Demento, and our slowly growing album & tape libraries. Decent instruments also took priority over a TV for us, and we played together by ourselves or with a livingroom full of pickers. There were even a few occasions when we'd entertain ourselves by making faces at each other or do our own improv...

It wasn't until the purchase of our second home that we felt comfortable enough to get a real TV (larger than 12" B&W portable) and VCR. When certain other life-altering events occurred, we upgraded to HD, cable (with xtra movie channels) and DVD (haven't taken the plunge to Blu Ray yet).

Through both Gulf Wars, I was a cable news junkie, but burned out on all the fear-mongering, infotainment, and broadcast yellow journalism. Now I/we watch 95+% commercial-free channels (mostly movies), get our news from the likes of Bill Maher, The Daily Show, Colbert Report, and various internet sources, and just recently (since retirement) I've been catching CNBC in small doses again to keep a closer eye on things. We rent an average of about 4 DVDs/ month only because there's a video store a block away, and they make it very convenient for us with perks. Some weekends we have our own flick-fests, either just the two of us or with friends. (Ever tried to watch all 3 extended versions of LotR in a day? It can be done, but it ain't ez... )

(Looking back, I do have one regret. I probably should have told my family to jump in the lake, picked up stakes, gone to film school, and taken my shot at becoming a filmmaker.... heavy sigh... )

Anyone here remember Dream On on HBO starring Brian Benben? That coulda been me, and my life often seemingly goes that way - interspersed with old TV & movie clips.

Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
Sort of addicted to TV but I don't watch network comedies or dramas. I like TCM, HGTV, MeTV, PBS and all the news and business channels. Bernie Lo (formerly of Bloomberg, now with CNBC World) is very entertaining. I also like the 'lectures' on CSPAN History/Book TV. Sundays I like CBS features, news talk shows, a good independent film or British period drama/mystery, 60 Minutes and Britcoms after 10 pm on Dallas KERA/PBS (35 year habit).
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Much less than I used to since I got an iPad. I haven't turned the TV on in weeks.
OTOH I am reading more books.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #46
I live alone, and leave my big plasma TV on with the sound completely muted, often, without even knowing what show is on. I like the pretty colors and moving light, perhaps as more of a primal fire-watching type of activity or light show than anything.

I also watch shows when there is something on that appeals to me. I lived for years without a TV and was happy with that too. It's all good.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
1-2 hours. National news and weekend sports. Cooking shows with DW. Ipad (Zite and other news readers are my real mainline addiction).

devans0 is online now   Reply With Quote