How NOT to Begin Retirement

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First, the backstory...

Bought hiking boots at Bass Pro Shop. Got a flyer in the mail the next day where same boots were on sale for $30 less. Took my receipt and headed back, where the kind CS clerk gladly credited me the sale price.

So, headed to the office from there on some meandering country roads in my trusty little Miata. Feeling pretty good about putting $30 back in the ol' pocket. Cruised right past a couple of troopers parked adjacent to the road. Glanced down and saw I was about 3-4 MPH over the limit. Oh, well usually not an offence that warrants a citation, so I continued motoring my merry way unconcerned.

And yep, about 2 minutes later, I had Christmas lighting in my rear view mirror :nonono:

The officer was kind enough to clarify - I was 14 MPH over, as I was in a 35 zone and not the 45 zone of a few mikes back :facepalm:

So here's the kicker. My court date is July 3 - the 1st Monday in July and my first official day of retirement (exit date = 6-30-2017). And yeah, per the issuing officer, it is probably worth making the court appearance as I may be able to plea it down since my record is otherwise clean (as much for for insurance purposes as the $220 ticket itself).

So - First day of retirement; get up early, dress in work like attire, commute into Charlotte from the burbs in AM traffic (court time - 9 AM and could be there several hours).

So yeah - first day of retired bliss starts with self inflicted complications. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wouldn't it have been worse if the court date was the Friday before?

i.e. your last day of work you need to somehow magically appear in court and receive your golden/silver/cardboard watch ;)

Isn't that crazy? Life just wants to mess around with ya. To me the worst part of the story is having to dress up and go out on your first retirement day! Hope you can talk the ticket way down. And may you have many many good days that go your way.

And wachowt for those speed limits 😉

First, the backstory...

Bought hiking boots at Bass Pro Shop. Got a flyer in the mail the next day where same boots were on sale for $30 less. Took my receipt and headed back, where the kind CS clerk gladly credited me the sale price.

So, headed to the office from there on some meandering country roads in my trusty little Miata. Feeling pretty good about putting $30 back in the ol' pocket. Cruised right past a couple of troopers parked adjacent to the road. Glanced down and saw I was about 3-4 MPH over the limit. Oh, well usually not an offence that warrants a citation, so I continued motoring my merry way unconcerned.

And yep, about 2 minutes later, I had Christmas lighting in my rear view mirror :nonono:

The officer was kind enough to clarify - I was 14 MPH over, as I was in a 35 zone and not the 45 zone of a few mikes back :facepalm:

So here's the kicker. My court date is July 3 - the 1st Monday in July and my first official day of retirement (exit date = 6-30-2017). And yeah, per the issuing officer, it is probably worth making the court appearance as I may be able to plea it down since my record is otherwise clean (as much for for insurance purposes as the $220 ticket itself).

So - First day of retirement; get up early, dress in work like attire, commute into Charlotte from the burbs in AM traffic (court time - 9 AM and could be there several hours).

So yeah - first day of retired bliss starts with self inflicted complications. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You could hire a lawyer to do the dirty work for you (probably $100 or less - this is a trivial case) and enjoy your first day of retirement feet up on the back porch. Worth it in my opinion! :cool:

You are retired now - gotta think big. :D

Last edited:
You could hire a lawyer to do the dirty work for you (probably $100 or less - this is a trivial case) and enjoy your first day of retirement feet up on the back porch. Worth it in my opinion! :cool:
I'd love to find this lawyer. Any I've deal with start the meter at $250 for answering the phone.

Can you sign up for a safe driving online course? In CA you can do this if no offenses in the last 18 months. You have to pay for the ticket and the course fee but you don't have to go to court and your insurance record stays clean. No hassle and class can be done at your convenience.

It is easy to see you aren't the kind of person who lets little things bother you which is an amazing happiness inducing quality. I bought those Bass pro hiking boots online the day after they went on sale, but I've been early retired for a year now so I'm incredibly wise.

Can you sign up for a safe driving online course? In CA you can do this if no offenses in the last 18 months. You have to pay for the ticket and the course fee but you don't have to go to court and your insurance record stays clean. No hassle and class can be done at your convenience.

+1
They have the same thing in IL, which since I was working I did in the evening. Much cheaper than missing a day of work.

The part of the story that concerns me is the 6/30 exit date. Wouldn't it have been more favorable to work at least 1 day in July in order to get medical coverage from your employer thru 7/31? (Sorry, a bit off topic) :)

The part of the story that concerns me is the 6/30 exit date. Wouldn't it have been more favorable to work at least 1 day in July in order to get medical coverage from your employer thru 7/31? (Sorry, a bit off topic) :)

That depends on the company policy. While that is true for many, it may or may not be true for the OP.

Back in my younger days, I think I got a doctorate in traffic school :facepalm:

Last ticket I got if you had no other violations, you could voluntarily pay ticket and be on probation for 6 months and it would go away as long as you didn't get another during that time. Didn't have to go to court, did it all online. Luckily that was 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:
I'd love to find this lawyer. Any I've deal with start the meter at $250 for answering the phone.

Nah, at least around here, ambulance chasing is very competitive business, so this drives prices down. I do get an occasional speeding ticket here or there :)blush:), and within 2 or 3 days, I get a minimum (really!) of a dozen or more letters from law firms wanting to represent me. In a way its really a rigged system but these guys spend all day at court, going in and out of courtrooms, representing traffic tickets by the handful. Takes them one minute to plead a speeding ticket down to "9 over" (above which insurance points kick in). Still a decent hourly wage :nonono:

In any event, my point was that I wouldn't let this kill my first day of retirement - I would hire help instead. :cool:

38Chevy454 said:
Back in my younger days, I think I got a doctorate in traffic school :facepalm:

When I was in grad school the rather permissive County had 2 levels of traffic school. If you had already attended in the last year they offered level 2 - the "chronic offender" program. A full weekend of hardcore traffic menaces (almost all young males) swapping stories of how to modify cars and avoid enforcement. Grad school for traffic criminals. I went twice. Oh to be 23 again.

PS. I haven't gotten a ticket in the last 10 years. Must be getting old.

$220 for 14mph over? That's hiway robbery; here that's a $20 ticket.

+1 on the lawyer if you want to avoid the inconvenience (plus gas plus parking). You can probably find one for $100-150. I'd give you my cousin's # in Charlotte but she's back to practicing in FL.

It's pretty simple to take care of this ticket yourself. Go in and plea it down to a 9 over violation (if they won't let you off clean). It varies by county but pretty much everywhere in NC the DA will agree to 9 over especially if it's a first offence in a long time. Some DA's offices in some counties will let you off with an improper equipment ticket (keep your 9 over plea for later :) ), but not sure if Mecklenburg is one of them.

You get a freebie 9 over violation every 3 years without points on your license. It'll save you the lawyer fee but I believe you will still have to pay the $220 court cost+9 over ticket. (formerly a NC lawyer and did a few speeding tickets for someone I'm married to but who I cannot name; not currently a lawyer and MOST DEFINITELY not your lawyer - just some dude on the internet).

So you are saying that things can only get better as your retirement moves on!

Congratulations (on day 2+ of your retirement).

TriCare kicked in last week when I turned 60 so have that box checked, but thanks for putting out there. :greetings10:

Also to other OP's; I am going to check into the lawyer angle. It's worth a couple hundred if I don't have to go in to Charlotte and hang out until its my turn... and if I get the 9 over, that's just icing on the cake. I do remember, several years ago, I let the tag on my DW's car lapse and she (meaning, me) got a ticket. And yep, a week later our mail box was lawyer central (that time I just paid it since it wasn't a moving violation with insurance ramification).

Thanks FIRE Team! :)

In most areas if you initially plead not guilty you can plea down to a lesser offense that may not be a moving violation. In my neck of the woods, that means a LONG wait standing on line to talk with the assigned township attorney. But since you'll be retired, you have the time.
Or, as others have mentioned -and this is what I did - hire an attorney to do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom