Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
It is illegal to kill deers in our city. People always say that they were here before we did and that we need to learn to line with it. Unfortunately, the completely destroyed our landscape, we made a mistake of having a bird bath and that was what attracted them to our yard.
Pssst, want to borrow a bear.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Darn with that bear of mine around, not even the dogs want to go outside.
Yogi hasn't gone home yet? He's out there if the dogs are afraid.
Beautiful creatures to see and watch but I keep the food away.
Sometimes they hang out anyway.

Out in the remote parts there are no driveways. My problem is getting kids here for Halloween. No hope of that but each year I try anyway.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or maybe some Glen Campbell?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wish there was deer poison. Deer are a horrible plague where we live.

Kids are rarely seen, even on their own lawns. I think their days are more tightly scheduled than mine!

Amethyst
I am looking for pigeon poison.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes it is kind of nice to have kids playing on your lawn. They do interesting stuff and bring life and vitality to a neighborhood.

Now I would consider goose poison for my driveway...
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Our goose problem is them coming into the backyard from the pond. I put up a short (3') fence, metal posts with fishing line stretched through the holes. I eventually switched over to metal wire because the weed whacker kept cutting the fishing line. Effective against the geese, but my next planned step was to add electricity. Didn't need it for the geese, but it would probably work on the kids.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Sometimes it is kind of nice to have kids playing on your lawn. They do interesting stuff and bring life and vitality to a neighborhood.

Yes indeed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gretel_escaped.jpg (114.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The deer (not children), are quite tasty , ( no offense meant, to those with different views).

MRG
No offense taken.

Personally, I find most kids tough and stringy, except for the little fat ones that play video games all day. Those are hard to find though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Out in the remote parts there are no driveways. My problem is getting kids here for Halloween. No hope of that but each year I try anyway.
Sounds like FTC shares this view and is plotting the next step.

Hint: charcoal temp is important but, the rub you use is what really makes them tasty.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Just substitute "dogs" for "kids" in this thread, and watch everyone go nuts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
No offense taken.

Personally, I find most kids tough and stringy, except for the little fat ones that play video games all day. Those are hard to find though.

Sounds like FTC shares this view and is plotting the next step.

Hint: charcoal temp is important but, the rub you use is what really makes them tasty.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Just substitute "dogs" for "kids" in this thread, and watch everyone go nuts....
Well, yea.

Dogs are...well, better than kids. My goal is to be half as good a person as my dog because he's awesome!

Why dogs are awesome.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #31

Quote:
*sniff* Good stuff.

If you read the comments, it turns into dog people vs. cat people. "Cats will just as soon piss on your dead body." lol.

I like one guy's comment, "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." That sums it up pretty well for me.

However, I have to admit, some dogs are douchebags. They all have their own personalities, and some are just not right. I know that's not the dog's fault -- it's usually the experiences they've had with people (but same goes for most of the people we complain about).

And dogs will take a dump on your lawn, whereas (most) kids will not.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

No, you made the mistake of having landscaping.

The deer weren't "there before." (And a sillier, more specious argument has never been made. I expect SMALLPOX was there before we were, and nobody worries about wiping that out). Certainly not in such numbers. If they had been, we would have no trees, because all our trees were planted by us, 20+ years ago when the deer had not yet moved in. If we had tried to plant young trees any time in the last 10-12 years, they would have been destroyed in a week.

To me, deer are no better than giant rats. I would gladly hire someone to come and shoot the horrible, disease-bearing, car-attacking things, but that is not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
It is illegal to kill deers in our city. People always say that they were here before we did and that we need to learn to line with it. Unfortunately, the completely destroyed our landscape, we made a mistake of having a bird bath and that was what attracted them to our yard.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I feel this way, although my territoriality is not challenged as I have no lawn. But there area few private days schools across the street, and kids come madly running out several times a day.

In summer when they are not around and shouting, I notice a lack, and am always glad to see them reappear the following September.

Ha
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Now I would consider goose poison for my driveway...
I try not to be too bothered by the fact the neighbor kids occasionally spill into my yard as they are playing baseball, and the ball can stray. I remember when I was a kid, we used squatters rights on a ladies extra yard she owned which was on the other side of our small town. We couldn't help ourselves as it had the perfect whiffle ball dimensions with home run fence. Although we knew her as her kids grew up around us, but several years older; we having no manners did not ask permission. We had that yard all torn to hell with grass missing for pitchers mound and batters box for at least 5 years. She never did complain. Evidently she didn't hold a grudge because several years later when I was in college, my dad divorced and eventually dated and married her. A very nice lady!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #35

We have an access path that leads to the main greenway (park along the creek). Kids and sometimes adults ride their bikes through our yard to 'cut the corner'. My stance was that I should pour them a narrow sidewalk (welcome them). DW's stance was to let the tree branches grow and sag. But at least I talked her out of piano wire at neck height :-)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
And dogs will take a dump on your lawn, whereas (most) kids will not.
No, kids'll take a dump in a paper bag, put it on your doorstep, light it, ring your bell, and split. (No, I've never had it happen to me. On doing it as a kid, I'll take the fifth... He deserved it -- one of those crusty old farts that screamed at kids for stepping on his lawn to retrieve toys, playing in front of his house, etc...)

Tyro
Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Yup, real heartstring pullers! As much as I love my therapy dog, and as good as we treat him, he'll jump in any car and/or go with any stranger. Just too dang friendly and easy-going...

Tyro
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

And of course, to be fair, we live in the country with a fenced driveway, and there are zero kids for a mile around us, so no need for the poison. And the deer are kept at bay by those handy dogs! Peaceful happy life.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #39

Not that I don't like kids...from ages up to 5, they are fine. Then, from ages 6 to 45 and you need to keep a close eye on those immature vagrants...nothing but trouble! Sometimes a fence won't keep them out.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, you made the mistake of having landscaping.

The deer weren't "there before." (And a sillier, more specious argument has never been made. I expect SMALLPOX was there before we were, and nobody worries about wiping that out). Certainly not in such numbers. If they had been, we would have no trees, because all our trees were planted by us, 20+ years ago when the deer had not yet moved in. If we had tried to plant young trees any time in the last 10-12 years, they would have been destroyed in a week.

To me, deer are no better than giant rats. I would gladly hire someone to come and shoot the horrible, disease-bearing, car-attacking things, but that is not allowed.
I've walked through forests that will not be there in 10 or 20 years and the deer look at you like you are trespassing in their living room. The biggest complainers are the people whose homes are along the edge of the parks (no surprise). Mystifyingly, these are also the people who don't want hunters or anyone else to thin the herds.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote