Join Early Retirement Today

How not to get along with the neighbors...
Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

How not to get along with the neighbors...

It seemed too funny to be anything but an urban legend:

"Mark Easton in Riverton, Utah, had a beautiful view of the East Mountains until a new neighbor purchased the lot below his house and built a home.

The new home was about a foot higher than the ordinances would allow, so Mark Easton went to the city to make sure they enforced the lower roof line ordinance. The new neighbor had to drop the roof line at great expense.

Recently, Mark Easton called the city and informed them that his new neighbor had installed some vents on the side of his home. Mark didn't like the look of these vents and asked the city to investigate. When they went to Mark's home to see the vent view, this is what they found."

But it's true. Here's the rest of the story:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/ventcover.asp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HouseVent1.jpg (48.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg HouseVent2.jpg (13.5 KB, 44 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb HouseVent1.jpg_thumb (29.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb HouseVent2.jpg_thumb (20.0 KB, 0 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How not to get along with the neighbors...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Neighbor disputes and domestic disputes. Someone can end up dead.

A lawyer I know did a divorce for a woman. The husband was so mad he shot his ex-wife's lawyer. Fortunately she was not badly hurt.

One of my former partners represented a guy who bought a house that had part of its diveway on the neighbor's property. No one knew that to be the case, the property was rural and boundary locations were not clear. The encroachment was discovered in a survey. The neighbor went ballistic and sued our client. Our client said fine, I'll move the driveway and he did. I wasn't good enough and the neighbor tried for money damages in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, "rent" for the 12 years the driveway was there. He also put up flood lights aimed into our clients windows, hung pots and pans from trees up against the property line to make noise in the wind and posted signs on his property about how evil our client was. He simply went nuts and our client had no choice but to spend money to defend himself. We were afraid he was going to get hurt.

After he won the case we told him he should move. I don't remember if he did or not.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our retirement property is 35 acres and we plan to build in the middle of it. And since it is in a subdivision, all the property lines are well marked to avoid that sort of thing.

That being said, there was a person who put up a giant garage with no house, in violation of the HOA rules, and tried to live in it. There were no cooking or bathroom facilities. Needless to say, the HOA was able to stop them.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me some of the worst stories about neighbors happen to involve people living on large tracts of land.

That appeared unintuitive to me until it occurred to me that I had the cause and effect backwards.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our "next door" neighbor (1/2 mile down the road) was murdered by a guy she had sold land to across the road from her. He was a nutcase who blamed her for everything that went wrong in his life.

He kicked in her door in the middle of the night, killed her in her house and took the body.

About a week later he burned the house down and the police arrested him for arson. They didn't charge him with murder until the body was found a year later. Thank God he burned the house down or he would have been living down the road from me for a year before they finally arrested him. One week was long enough.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
He was a nutcase who blamed her for everything that went wrong in his life.
I think every aspiring landlord should watch the movie "Pacific Heights".

It's hard to think of Michael Keaton as a comedian anymore...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looking at the photo, did the extra foot and $$$$$$ costs improve Mark's view.

I think Mark is the real pr*ck in this case.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think every aspiring landlord should watch the movie "Pacific Heights".

It's hard to think of Michael Keaton as a comedian anymore...
We owned 6 rental houses for about 10 years (shudder!) "Pacific Heights" was not too far off from reality in our case...

Never again!
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Looking at the photo, did the extra foot and $$$$$$ costs improve Mark's view.

I think Mark is the real pr*ck in this case.
I don't agree with you in this case, Zipp. The building code was available to the new homeowner and his contractor. They violated Mark's rights. Mark invested what was probably a good portion of his nest egg in a house with a view. He had every right to expect the city building codes to be enforced.

If I were Mark, the new vents wouldn't bother me at all. They may lower the property value of the new owner's home if he ever want to sell. Of course the new owner has already proven it's not about money.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote