Join Early Retirement Today

How not to retire early
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How not to retire early

There are some videos on how people are coping with the financial disaster... there are different videos of different family and how they are coping... here is the second video on one guy who really made a bad decision...

Yahoo! Elections 2012 - Remake America

I feel sorry for the guy, but he should have known better....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He took a big time (& IMHO inappropriate) risk and it didn't work. If he had a successful store you would not heard of him, just another Chamber of Commerce story of 'how to succeed'. Still feel sorry for the guy, I hope he can find employment somewhere. Need to take risks like this when younger and there is time to recover.

Update to Bill and his hardware store
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Update to Bill and his hardware store

When I first saw this, I was thinking that he had made a bad decision... it seems now it has come home to roost... he said he has not paid any rent on the place in a year... and he thinks that he should get some more time

I do feel sorry for the guy, he just made a bad decision....

Episode 19: 'I'm not a quitter ... I'm still up for a good fight' - Yahoo! News
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Risking money he borrowed to buy himself a job late in life. Bad idea!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know people like Bill...more hope than reality in their lives. It is distressing to me to see this happening to others; I know people who borrowed on their home's equity to purchase a business or another house. They ended up losing both. I think i may have a case of survivor's guilt.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

What was he thinking? All over the country little family owned hardware stores are going under because they cannot compete with the big guys. Wrong business to start and at the wrong time.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
What was he thinking? All over the country little family owned hardware stores are going under because they cannot compete with the big guys. Wrong business to start and at the wrong time.
Like he said, he still has a lot of fight in him. Some people cannot differentiate between what they can accomplish with hard work and positive thoughts, and what just comes down the road and could bury even Pollyanna and Horatio Alger rolled into one.

Ha