Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

17, but it wasn't a very good test. Even though I got the fan rotation right (50-50 chance - big deal!), it was just weird to give the reference (as you face it), in the answer, not in the question. Maybe I used the wrong ref for the merry-go-round (I got that one wrong).

The one about the FM band is stated oddly. What is the lowest whole number?, Well the band goes down to 87.8, the center frequency of the lowest channel is 87.9 - the choices were 87, 88, 89 so I said 87. Why is 88 correct? Should they have said round number?

What is a Whole Number?

I
Quote:
f you have a number like 21.32, it has a whole number portion (21). But in itself, this number is not a whole number because it contains a fraction (.32)

So, 87 is the whole number portion of 87.8. And there is no 88.0, they are all odd numbers. So by that definition, there are no whole numbers on the dial.

And venetian blind cords? I was able to set mine to either side pull. I don't play cards, missed that one.

But the average is 7 C'mon.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I think the number of matches is the same as the number of cigarettes in a pack. I don't smoke but I've known enough people who do/did. Seems like I remember there being an equal number of matches & cigs. Makes sense, somehow, I suppose.
I got matches wrong too. Oddly, there are eight hot dog buns in a pack (but I bought a pack of sausage rolls for dinner tonight, so I knew that), but 6 hot dogs in a pack. Whas' up wid 'dat?

-ERD50
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I got matches wrong too. Oddly, there are eight hot dog buns in a pack (but I bought a pack of sausage rolls for dinner tonight, so I knew that), but 6 hot dogs in a pack. Whas' up wid 'dat?

-ERD50
You buying those expensive bourgeoisie hot dogs, ERD50? the LBYM weiners come ten to a pack...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
You buying those expensive bourgeoisie hot dogs, ERD50? the LBYM weiners come ten to a pack...
heh-heh - I remembered they weren't matched, but I see I got the numbers wrong. I googled it and found that the history on this is that butchers sell by the pound. So typically 10 dogs to a pack, but sometimes 8, and sausages may commonly be 8 or 6 to the pound. And (despite what I wrote), rolls tend to come in ratios that are a factor of a dozen.

One source claimed that was all about how you can pack different size products on the same baking sheets. If you do 10 of something, it only 'packs' in a 1x10 line, or a 2x5 array. No other options. But 12 of something allows you to arrange in 1x12, 2x6, or 3x4. I don't think that makes any difference to big bakeries, just make 120 (or 120,000) and package for sale any way you want. Some do (they say there are regional preferences), but mostly just historical hold over. Unless those explanations were all just BS!

-ERD50
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50

What kind of hot dogs are you buying We get 10 in a pack... or you get two packs of 5 if you buy one brand..

Now, the bigger ones come 8 to a pack... I think bun length are also 8, but I could be wrong...

but I have never seen 6 to a pack...

OK... saw that you alread got called on this.... but I still wanted to leave my post
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Guess I'm the Village Idiot here having the lowest score. Somebody isn't observant obviously... Oh well, can't be good at everything..
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

15 for me. If I can get 15 then it's hard to believe the average is only 7
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
15 for me. If I can get 15 then it's hard to believe the average is only 7
Not really Aaronc, when you consider that half the people you know are above average...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #50

22 here too
Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
17, but it wasn't a very good test. Even though I got the fan rotation right (50-50 chance - big deal!), it was just weird to give the reference (as you face it), in the answer, not in the question. Maybe I used the wrong ref for the merry-go-round (I got that one wrong).

The one about the FM band is stated oddly. What is the lowest whole number?, Well the band goes down to 87.8, the center frequency of the lowest channel is 87.9 - the choices were 87, 88, 89 so I said 87. Why is 88 correct? Should they have said round number?

What is a Whole Number?

I.

So, 87 is the whole number portion of 87.8. And there is no 88.0, they are all odd numbers. So by that definition, there are no whole numbers on the dial.

And venetian blind cords? I was able to set mine to either side pull. I don't play cards, missed that one.

But the average is 7 C'mon.

-ERD50
Well, I won't argue about the quality of the test. Between the toilet, fan, and venetian blind questions I give it a low score. But the radio question is definitely valid. It definitely said dial, not digital readout. There's definitely an 88 on the dial, and it's definitely the lowest whole number. I missed it too, because I was thinking lowest number (not whole number),

As far as why the average is 7, I suspect it's partially because people don't read well.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #52

I do think the venetian blind question does not have an exact answer. My blinds have the controls on the right because that was what I specified when I ordered them. Looking at comments on a Google search some people remarked that their ceiling fan can go either direction. Bottom line is that a number of the questions are suspect and don't really have just one answer.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #53

Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, I won't argue about the quality of the test. Between the toilet, fan, and venetian blind questions I give it a low score. But the radio question is definitely valid. It definitely said dial, not digital readout. There's definitely an 88 on the dial, and it's definitely the lowest whole number. I missed it too, because I was thinking lowest number (not whole number),

As far as why the average is 7, I suspect it's partially because people don't read well.
I probably was thinking lowest channel #, and I think it did say 'dial',but even that I took as the lowest channel # on the dial. Like the announcers say "Tune to 97.9 FM on your radio dial", but there isn't a 97.9 on the dial. But even with the word "dial", my old receiver has an analog dial, but it moves a pointer on a scale. I actually thought it spelled out each number, including 87.9, but it does stop at the round # of 88. And some digital radios have dials that you turn and it displays the number on the readout. Isn't that 'on the dial' then?

So yeah, poor test.

On a positive note, there were a couple good ones. I had to stop and think about pencil sides. Got it right, but I thought that was a good example of everyday items that we see but don't observe.

-ERD50
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
I'm surprised I got 19 considering being from Canada. Ok, let the flaming begin!
Canadian here too and I got 15 .
Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

19 for me. Do I get a prize?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yes. An autographed picture of an fellow forum member.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1023070
heh heh heh
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

heh heh heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Yes.
Ah ha...a big green grin is my prize? Woo hoo...lucky me!

--------------------------------------

Eh...I had to edit my response as there was more added to the 'Yes' reply.

So now I wish to say with the addition, I prefer a to a .
Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Guess I'm the Village Idiot here having the lowest score. Somebody isn't observant obviously... Oh well, can't be good at everything..
Greetings from another Village Idiot, here in Spain. But then, many of the questions were specially directed at you USA citizens
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Considering what I scored, you MIGHT be entitled to one!