Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Often are You Called for Jury Duty?
More often than once per year 3 2.88%
About once per year 3 2.88%
About once every two years 10 9.62%
About once every three years 13 12.50%
Less often than once every three years 55 52.88%
Never 20 19.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I hear a good felony on your record will make them leave you alone from now on...
Yeah, but that only works if you get caught.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yeah, but that only works if you get caught.
Just burglarize the mayor's house, or set fire to the limo, you're a shoe-in.

I got a question about this jury duty thing. I've been called a time or two, but it doesn't bother me all that much. However, I spent a career relying on good citizens to come down to the court house and do their thing. IMHO, unless you get on some 2 week long federal conspiracy case, it's not such a big thing.

So why the repeated threads here about jury duty?

Is it because of all the waiting, or that you get called and never serve? Or is it just because of the gubmint imposing its evil will on you?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Just burglarize the mayor's house, or set fire to the limo, you're a shoe-in.

I got a question about this jury duty thing. I've been called a time or two, but it doesn't bother me all that much. However, I spent a career relying on good citizens to come down to the court house and do their thing. IMHO, unless you get on some 2 week long federal conspiracy case, it's not such a big thing.

Is it because of all the waiting, or that you get called and never serve? Or is it just because of the gubmint imposing its evil will on you?
I've only served once and was not called to be on a jury. I would like to go through the experience of being on a jury at least once as I think it would be a real first hand education as to how the justice system works. Others who are called yearly obviously have had a different experience and hold a different opinion.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think anyone has a problem with serving on a jury, but spending days of tedium in the jury pool waiting room gets old very quickly.

Based on the one trial I actually served on, I would rather enjoy doing it again.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

For me it's just curiosity. I've never been called, don't know why. If I was called once, they'd probably never call me again, but so far we don't know that either.

If I actually was called and served, I think it would drive me bonkers to not be able to interrupt and say "wait a minute, what did you mean by xyz? I need to know exactly what you meant if I'm going to make a rational decision on this." I guess you can ask for clarifications/transcripts after in deliberations, but I'd have a hard time keeping everything straight with a bunch of loose ends going on.

My SIL served a while back. She was saddened that everyone else seemed more interested in getting out by the close on Friday than making sure the individual's fate was fairly considered.

But if I was asked to serve, I'd do it. It would have been a major pain while working, and an inconvenience even now, but that is our system and it does make some kind of sense, so I need to step up and support it.

edit/add: I see ~ 20% never served, so I guess it's not that unusual.

-ERD50
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've only ever been called once, but was dismissed before the day came.

I don't think we'd have such a problem, if they fixed the pay, and made sure parking was adequate (you know you're going to have a large pool of jurors on a daily basis, why would you not plan for this when building or expanding? I mean, really.).

For a very short time a few years ago there was a television show about juror deliberation. The full episode I caught, a kid was drunk, drove his car into a ditch in a construction zone and killed a passenger. A few of the jurors: "Well, I had a relative who drank and drive all the time, and they never killed no one. So: not guilty!"

The snippets of other episodes I caught weren't any better. If that's what it's really like, I couldn't be a room with those people and not wind up shattering eardrums.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a partially irrational fear of jury duty. I know it's selfish, but since I get called once a year, the fear is that instead of waking up leisurely, practicing piano, doing stuff around the house, and going for a bike ride, I have to drive 35 miles, find a parking spot, then sit in a noisy jury pool room through the following (exaggerated example of the worst case situation):

An official spends 30 minutes explaining how to fill out the postcard that we all received, just for those who haven't filled them out yet. Things like "Where it says 'address' enter your address." Someone raises his hand and says "We're moving next week, which address should I enter?"

She then spends 10 minutes explaining where you are allowed to park, and the manner in which you need to display the juror card on your dashboard. Then everyone hands in the cards, and after 15 minutes the official comes out and calls up the people who filled out the cards incorrectly.

I have to fill out forms and listen to the same jury orientation video from last year. TV programs then play on the monitors while I wait with the other potential jurors and try to read my book.

She says "This is going to be a six week trial, and I'm going to hand out some more forms.

Later it's up to the trial rooms, but things aren't ready, so we have to sit in the hall. No reading is allowed during the jury selection, so you have to listen to the judge repeat the same verbatim instructions to each new prospective juror. It's now near noon, so everyone has to go home and come back the next day to continue.

And so on.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #68

I was called once and served. A murder trial. Rather, a retrial. The crime was committed in 1996, the suspect tried in 2003. The jury was unable to reach a unanimous verdict. Retried in 2004, when I served, and found guilty. Two months trial, 4 days sequestered in jury deliberations.

The US judicial system is unlike any other. Notwithstanding the constant criticism, it gives (IMHO) every advantage to those suspected of or charged with criminal activity.

An example would be the case I served on. The guilty man appealed and presented new evidence, last year (2010) a judge threw out the verdict due to lawyer incompetence, and he was just retried. The result was another deadlocked jury. Given that he admitted to committing the crime, the DA's office has indicated their intention to retry once again.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #69

The jury I was on was a complete and utter waste of time and money that was obviously a lawyer's attempt to enrich himself. It's too long a story to relate here. suffice it to say that on the second day of the trial the judge threw the case out and dismissed the jury.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #70

I was only called 3 times in 10 years when living in So Cal. Back then you could be excused if your employer didn't pay for jury duty. No such luck now.

Since moving to Northern California, I have been called twice in just over 2 years. Spent 3 days in jury selection the first time and didn't make it to the jury (very entertaining judge though - reminded me of Judge Harry T Stone in Night Court). This time (a few days ago) I checked the website on the day to find that my pool didn't have to go in, so I'm free for another year.