Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Often are You Called for Jury Duty?
More often than once per year 3 2.88%
About once per year 3 2.88%
About once every two years 10 9.62%
About once every three years 13 12.50%
Less often than once every three years 55 52.88%
Never 20 19.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

How Often are You Called for Jury Duty?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How Often are You Called for Jury Duty?

How often?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never been called.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Administrator

Since 1996, when I first moved to Louisiana, I have never been called for Jury Duty.

I have a drivers' license, and I have voted in every single election since 2002. I'm in the phone book. I own a house and have lived in it for nine years, and I worked here too. You'd think that I'd get on the list somehow, but no.

I have been called for jury duty when I lived in Texas back in the 1980's (and had an acceptable reason why I couldn't do it), so I voted "less than once every three years".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I get those cards in the mail and call the number the night before you are suppose to go to see if you have to go and have never had to go. I even got on of the Federal ones with a 10 page survey to fill out, but never had to go to the court house.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Three times in the past 12 years.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
gone traveling

3x in the last 42 years (when age 21 was considered an "adult" ).

Of the three, called/served on two trials. The first for a young woman (she was cute - no way she could be guilty )...

The second for an old guy (older than me) who got caught up in a scam run by a young lady. We let him off. Old men are often tempted by young women ...
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #7

I have served on jury duty once in my life. I was called for Jury Duty about a year and a half ago. I went, I sat, I waited, and I was dismissed at noon. Then about 6 months later I was called again, but was required to decline because the rules say you can only do it once every two years here.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #8

I've been called for Jury Duty twice in the past 15 years. We have the system where you call a number the night before and see if you have to show up. I had to go to the courthouse 2 or 3 times but did not serve on any juries.

The second time I was put on a jury by 10am the first day of service. It was a burglary and it was very interesting. Almost 2 full days of testimony, then a day and a half of deliberations and a guilty verdict.

It was very interesting and gave me a good lesson on how our system works. The one flaw was that it was obvious that the defendant had a court appointed lawyer. That wasn't his undoing, it was obvious he was guilty.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #9

I was called once over 10 years ago -- it was time consuming and boring, and the case didn't even go to the jury. I was called again while I was still serving. Well, I decided I had done my part. The next time I got an information form which, it said, I was required to fill out and return, I just tossed it. I haven't heard again about jury duty.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have been called many times...

When I was young, I was only on one jury... but the lady caused a delay and we were let go... then many without being on a jury...

The last 4 times I have been called I have been on the jury... strange that now I am older I am serving, but when young... not...
Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #11

Since moving here, twice in the last 6 years, before that, never. We are going to England for 6 months in a couple of weeks time so if I'm called again I won't be able to attend, so not sure if I'll be fined or something.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

DC gets me like clockwork every two years.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

When I first moved to Ohio in 89, I was called within a year. Served two weeks, but only heard one case (murder case -- very interesting).

Eight years later, moved to a different county and again I was called within a year. Never got to hear a case.

Would be happy to serve again, but haven't been called in over 10 years.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Since moving here, twice in the last 6 years, before that, never. We are going to England for 6 months in a couple of weeks time so if I'm called again I won't be able to attend, so not sure if I'll be fined or something.
In Texas (at least in College Station), all you have to do if you are going to be out of the country is to respond telling them so. No proof is required. That is an acceptable excuse, and one that my ex-husband used many times because he was a seagoing man. I often responded for him if he was unable to do so himself. No fine was imposed because a response was sent.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #15

When I was in Houston I was called obnoxiously 3 times a year for a number of years. In fact, is was so bad that there were a number of us at once jury call who, also, had the same amount of times to be called.
I have no idea if we were on a "suckers list" or what, but it did eventually stop.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #16

Once in 2002 and once in 2010. Phoenix has a great waiting room with WiFi, a reading room and a room with a giant TV.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #17

I've only been summoned to serve once in my 53 yrs of life. And on that one time, I was not only selected for the jury, I ended up being the foreman. The case was a 4th offense DWI within just a few months time. We spent a few days, I had to get firm with a couple of sympathizers on the jury, but in the end, the guy got prison time. I never lost a minute's sleep. I told the other jurors I had kids driving on those roads & if one of them were hurt or worse by that idiot, I'd never forgive myself. Case closed.

This was in Bossier City, Louisiana in 2007 or '08.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #18

2x in 27 years and served both times.

First time I was 19 and the trial was attempted murder of a police officer. The kid was caught in the act and still plead not guilty. Was interesting to watch the system in action and watch the defense attorney try to convince the jury that it wasn't really his defendant who tried to kill the officer with his car even though the whole thing was on film provided by the news choppers.

Second case was a DUI. This one was also interesting watching the defense attorney try to confuse the jury with the legal definitions.

Both were found guilty.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #19

I don't know if this is right, but last time I reported I ask about all the folks that did not seem to show up. The clerk said there was really nothing they could do about it as the notice does not go out registered mail, and there is no way to prove you got it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Served twice, once on a murder trial. Public defender was outrageously incompetent. He acted like he had just read his notes on the way to the door.