Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How often do you floss?
Every day 80 62.50%
Most days 24 18.75%
About once a week 12 9.38%
About once a month 3 2.34%
What is floss? 9 7.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Every day, sometimes more if needed - I have crowded lower teeth. DW also every day + more if needed.

I just saw my Dentist last week and she commented that it was such a rare treat for her to have someone come into her office who practiced good oral hygiene.

In contrast, our adult son, who until last year only had 1 cavity in his entire life, when on a Monster/Red Bull/energy drink binge during a hard college semester w/o a lot of brushing or flossing and ended up with 11 new cavities at his last dental exam.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Daily, especially after having some expensive veneers applied. Flossing, together with use of a Night Gard, help keep the smile functional.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
I don't floss either, but have used narrow tooth picks for years many times a day. Now the dentist has introduced me to the same bottle brush toothpicks as you and they're great. I use them many times a day while working or surfing or whatever. I was always told that if you're not a flosser then tooth picks are the next best thing.
Yeah, DH uses those a lot.

Problem is, he leaves them all over the house and in the car.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't floss either, but have used narrow tooth picks for years many times a day. Now the dentist has introduced me to the same bottle brush toothpicks as you and they're great. I use them many times a day while working or surfing or whatever. I was always told that if you're not a flosser then tooth picks are the next best thing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes different toothpicks exercise the gums and help keep nasty stuff away.

I conversed with the gentleman that invented "Greenies" they help improve dogs teeth health. I'd asked about using them on people as I noticed a difference when using on mine. He sadly had to reply that while human food products were used in manufacturing, getting approval was too difficult. But you can try them if flossing is not an option. Nice chlorphyll flavor.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not enough. But I'm gonna go floss right now!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
I used to tell my patients to only floss the teeth they wanted to keep.
Ah, you went to the same school my dentist did.

Yes, at least daily, sometimes more if something gets stuck between teeth.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #47

I floss at least once a day and use an electric toothbrush. I want to keep my teeth and keep dental costs as low as possible.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Dentist always harped at me for not flossing, and I also gave him the "teeth are too wide apart" excuse, and used a narrow tooth pick. Tried flossing and still had to use the toothpick to get stuff out. Maybe a coincidence, but started flossing regularly 5 years ago, and haven't had to have any work done (and believe me, I've had plenty of work done).
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I seldom floss, but i use these several times a week. Dentist confirmed they work almost as good, and are a lot easier to use and carry.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I seldom floss, but i use these several times a week. Dentist confirmed they work almost as good, and are a lot easier to use and carry.
I like these things, too. Initially I was tossing them after every use, but I realized that if I just rinse them, they last for a while. I floss every other day and use the GUM picks in the in between days.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I carry a pack of these in my purse. Pretty effective at getting out food particles in between teeth.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #52

I was on active duty in the Navy in Rota, Spain in the early 1970's. When you got there and went through the check-in process, one stop, of course, was at the dental clinic. They wouldn't immediately sign you up for flossing class. Yes; I'm serious and this would only happen in the military. Before they would make your first dental appointment, you had to have attended flossing class. I don't remember how long it lasted, probably somewhere from a couple of hours to a full morning. You got the theory of flossing, watched a dentist floss some fake teeth and then had ample time to practice on your own teeth. At the end you had to use disclosing tablets which would clearly show up areas you had missed with the floss and then you could go back and refloss them. I thought it was really stupid at the time. I was in my mid-20's back then, will be 70 next week and am still flossing pretty regularly. So, stupid or not, it apparently stuck.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I voted "Every day" because that's the highest frequency, but in fact I floss after every meal, or a snack.

That's at least twice a day when I do not eat breakfast, and usually it's 3 times or higher.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Daily.

I am amazed at the amount of junk that flossing removes even after two minutes of brushing. If I skip a day for some reason, I have to floss over the city dump or be cited for trashing the neighborhood.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

On-topic: several times a week, and extra when stuff gets caught in between the molars. I don't carry dental insurance and I only visit the dentist every 2-3 years for an exam/cleaning, so flossing is essential.

Off-topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I was on active duty in the Navy in Rota, Spain in the early 1970's.
Spouse and I are planning to go back in September for a couple of months. Let me know if you're seeking any before-after photos.

Judging from our experience (spouse was stationed there 1983-85) you wouldn't recognize much. Even the air passenger terminal was heavily altered over the years, and the new passenger terminal is opening soon. The HF bullring was dismantled years ago, and most of the collection & analysis gear (let alone the comms systems) have been automated and remoted to other locations. Much to my surprise, the base's drive-in movie theater is still operating. But Rota itself has tripled in size over the last 30 years.

Some of the area's buildings are centuries old and a few decades won't have affected them. We even managed to find spouse's old apartment, although it was hard to recognize. If you have a street address then we'll see what we can find.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Too much energetic flossing can actually wear grooves in your teeth.

Amethyst