• About once a month

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • What is floss?

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was recently at the dentist and, surprise, he says I should floss everyday. How often do you floss? I know I'm not alone.

Daily. That includes a special "threader" that goes under a bridge. I brush twice daily with a Sonicare and use a WaterPik every night, too. I have a lot of expensive dental work.

Couple of cavities between the teeth convinced me to floss every day.

Every day, sometimes twice. Once you start it can become an obsession. I blame my dentist.

When I was working I kept floss in my office desk and flossed when I was bored.

Now I keep it in my office desk at home and try to do it once a day.

I think I flossed more at work. :dance:

I was surprised to be asked by some Brits what dental floss was. Is this an American thing? :confused:

Never, and my teeth look and work as good as the day I bought them:LOL:

I don't use a thread floss but I switched from brushing twice daily with a manual toothbrush to a Sonicare and use WaterPik most nights. I really should get a shower unit so that I'll WaterPik daily. My dentist has seen marked improvement with my gums and teeth and now thinks I'm flossing daily and has said to continue doing that. :)

I floss every day and a bit more.

The tooth with the implant, I floss that tooth after every meal as food tends to get trapped there. The rest, I floss every day.

Never have been fan of flossing but dentist has been harping on me so I'm now up to 3 times/week. I make it a regular habit on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights. Unless they say my gums are getting worse I don't think I'll do more.

I was surprised to be asked by some Brits what dental floss was. Is this an American thing? :confused:

No. I buy dental floss in England, and I floss more than once a day.

Unlike me DW has always been a daily flosser all her life, and in her 60th year still only has 1 filling.

Last edited:
I floss like a madman. Nothing messes up a single man's life like bad breath, and good mouth hygiene including flossing is the key to good breath.

Ha

I used to tell my patients to only floss the teeth they wanted to keep. there are so many products for flossing, waxed and unwaxed, superfloss, individual one-time use flossers, reach flossers for the back teeth, and water irrigating flossers. you can usually tell the flossers from the non-flossers.

Daily, since my dental hygienist got on my case. I have a tendency to accumulate plaque so I now get my teeth cleaned every four months.

I floss like a madman. Nothing messes up a single man's life like bad breath, and good mouth hygiene including flossing is the key to good breath.

Ha

+1.... Probably 3-4 times a day... Funny but when I was in my 20s I tried it several times and quit as I found it was a waste of time. Nothing ever needed to be flossed. Now, that I am older there is always a nugget to dig out. I have all my teeth and hope to keep it that way. I dont do it now, but when I was a lot younger I could brush my teeth for 20 minutes while watching tv. Always with a hard brush; surprised I have any enamel left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least daily, usually more often.
But some of my teeth have gaps between them large enough to trap food, especially meat, which I eat a lot of.

OTOH, DW has teeth that are very close together, so she doesn't have to floss as often.

Our dentist says "just floss the ones you want to keep".

No. I buy dental floss in England, and I floss more than once a day.

Unlike me DW has always been a daily flosser all her life, and in her 60th year still only has 1 filling.

You are destroying the cliché of bad teeth in the UK.

I floss before I go to bed every night and anytime during the day when I think something is stuck between my teeth. I have all my teeth (well, other than wisdom teeth and one tooth that is an implant) but a couple of my molars are crowns after root canals. I think I have soft teeth (and ate terrible stuff like Turkish taffy when I was a kid so several fillings), and if I didn't care for them I am sure I would be missing some. I go to the dentist every 6 months or as needed. I have a variety of dental flosses and tapes for the task at hand. And wear a night guard religiously.

Daily

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sorry to be a myth buster. I always heard the cliche that it was crooked teeth in the UK not bad teeth, and that is probably still true. I'd never seen an adult wearing braces until we moved to the USA.

I still have all my teeth, including all 4 wisdom teeth, and every time we've moved and I've had my first appointment the dentist makes the comment "You have all your wisdom teeth and there is plenty of room". Translation - "What a big mouth you have!"

British Book of Smiles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 14
I didn't intend to insinuate that Brits had bad teeth, I just was surprised by the lack of awareness from these Brits that I had met in the US. I figured that they had some other technique or device to achieve the same end.

Back
Top Bottom