Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you get a haircut men? or free JD
Old 11-26-2004, 08:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
How often do you get a haircut men? or free JD

Since my ER I can get at least 3 months out of one * haircut . *I used to get my locks trimmed every 3-4 weeks prior to ER.

I'm now trying to get 4 months out of the current cut, I think I can do it!!!

I pay $7.00 (including tip) to get the cut. Prior to ER my annual cost was about $100. *Current cost is about $28 annually. *Future cost (3/yr) should be $21.

Wish me luck in 2005!

That extra $79/year is good for about 3 bottles of Jack Daniel's each year. 8)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How often do you get a haircut men? or free JD
Old 11-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I learned to cut hair when my I was 11; my father gave me some clippers and said you are now going to cut all the hair in the family. Man was that practice cut on my dad bad! He kept letting me practice and I got pretty good at it.

I have cut my husband's hair for the past 20 years. No charge.

I have to pay $25 to $30 once a month for my own haircut. I sure would like to not pay that much. I could change my style but I like my hair short and neat. If it grows too long, it is wildly out of control. Looked cool in the '70s tho.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:12 PM   #3

Once or twice a year is quite enough. Sometimes I've gone 2-2 1/2 years without one. There's no rush. I did 20 yrs in the military so I don't really even need any more haircuts. Ever
Old 11-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get one every 3 or 4 months if I need it or not.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I keep my hair short, so it is easy to just cut it myself. I have always been a do it myself type of person.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #6

I have been barber shop free for 2+ years.
Along with a long lifeline (I hope, my Dad is nearly 94), I inherited his very thin hairline so I have been shaving my head, a la Kojak for over 2 years.

MJ
Old 11-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
I *did 20 yrs in the military so I don't really even need any more haircuts. Ever
Yes Uncle Sam does require us to keep pur hair cut regularly. After 14.5 yrs of wearing mine in a flat top when I leave I am thinking about the "George Carlin" pulled back in a pony tale or the "Joe Dirt" Mullet!

JDW
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Never cut my hair!

Shaved head - only way to go!

It isn't a money thing - I look younger that way. People can't guess my age - I'm 50 and someone thought I was at least 40!

If it was a money thing I'm saving on barbers, shampoo, combs and time.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Please, pleeeeease...no mullet. It has to be the most unattractive hairstyle for men ever invented. NOBODY looks good in it. The George Carlin thing might work, tho.
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The mullet has some advantages:

Business up front, party in the back!
Old 11-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The cognitive dissonance is way too much. Besides which it is *ugly*. Started to get a haircut and forgot to finish it. Ack.
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
"George Carlin"
Old 11-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

"George Carlin"

My last military cut was 30 Apr 2002 and I haven't even trimmed it since then. I figure I've saved over $150, and although I'm the only guy in the house I still have the longest hair...

This is the first time in my life that I've been in charge of my own hairstyle, so I guess it's sort of a mid-life crisis. It's great not to sunburn my ears or neck any more. The first "grow it out" year was the toughest to control, and I figure the next 3-4 years will just get longer & smoother. Maybe by then I'll be ready to consider shaving the side & back fuzz.

But to my plumbing surprise, I've also learned that guys produce a lot more hair and shed it faster than women.

My first submarine made 90-day ballistic missile patrols. We'd hardly come to periscope depth more than once or twice a month, let alone hit a liberty port. So the pinnacle of sophisticated boomer humor was considered to be persuading the new crewmembers to shave their heads on the first day of patrol. You'd promise them that their hair would grow back in just a couple months, and when it seemed to be a lot slower than that then you'd claim that the submarine atmosphere must have slowed down their follicles. Of course the process really takes about 9-12 months, which led to a very conspicuous hairstyle in mid-1980s Scotland & Charleston, SC.

Although I had a few submarine beards, especially on northern patrols, a beard is a non-starter in this weather. I don't know about a shaved head under Hawaii sunshine. I might as well just glue on the hat to avoid skin cancer...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #13

About every 4-6 weeks. I keep it short in summer and long in winter.

I have a very thick head of hair, and at 61, no sign of thinning.

I'm thinking in a few years I'll make a perfect Santa.

I have a ruddy complexion, and being a non-smoker, my moustache and hair are turning white, not yellow.

The only thing missing would be a big belly.......... I guess I would have to use a pillow.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #14

I get my hair cut when my wife says," Hey, Shaggy, trim that! Happens about every 8-12 weeks. $12 later all is ok

BUM
Old 11-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I was working, I got it cut every 2 weeks at a cost of $20 per haircut, including tip. Since retirement two months ago, I've been getting it cut every 3 weeks at a local beauty college where the students cut it as part of their hands-on training/practice. It costs $3 and I leave a $2 tip. My annual cost of haircuts has been reduced from $520 pre-retirement, to $85 in retirement.
mccl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not sure how retirement changes the frequency of getting haircuts. I guess some individuals are trying to cut down on expenses.

I get a haircut every 4 weeks or so. Cost $15 ($12 plus $3 tip). I am still employed but when I pack it in I doubt the frequency of the haircuts I go for will change.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #17

I don't think I am going to be able to cut down on haircuts when I retire. My present system is to *get it cut whenever it gets shaggy enought to annoy me. That works out to about four time a year. Once in December, once in late *spring and twice in the summer. *Since I will have a more outdoor lifestyle in the summer when retired I will probably get it cut three times in the summer. Long hair and heat no longer mix although I had a pony tail as a teen Haircuts seem really quite reasonable here 8 to 9 dollars plus tip
Old 11-28-2004, 04:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

After 20+ years in the military, the alarms start to go off when hair touches the top of the ears. I'll probably keep it cut that short after I ER. But, I'm working on getting my DW to cut it to save money and time. Now that I'll be out of the steely gaze of others in the workplace, a bad haircut or two while she learns won't be a disaster.

samclem
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'll probably keep it cut that short after I ER.
Don't miss an outstanding ER opportunity for "personal growth"!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Hey mccl,

Your old HPY (haircuts per year ) Index was 26 but you claim to have reduced it to 17. Excellent work!

However the most impressive index that you have foiled is the HCY (haircut cost per year) Index. To have reduced your HCY from $520 to $85 is in recordbreaking ground.

With a little time and effort your HCY costs will be under $20!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote