Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Along with the great wage your server does not get paid sick time and will be working even though highly infectious. DD2 was very knowledgeable on what OTC meds would hide her symptoms when waitressing at a high end chain restaurant. But don't worry, the guys in the back actually handling your food make the full minimum wage.

I have not tipped twice in my life. Both times it was because of worse than bad service but down right rude behaviour.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
I hate tipping. Only when service is extraordinary to I give more than 10%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talking...unethical/amp/
I'd be embarrassed to routinely leave only 10% or less for good service. Do you frequent any restaurants? If so, they definitely talk about what a cheapskate you are and probably argue over who has to wait on you. I'd feel so uncomfortable going to a restaurant knowing they know and I know I'm going to be a lousy tipper.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

The only time I can remember not tipping a waiter, whose service was truly abysmal, was when she just disappeared in the middle of our dinner, never to return. The management apparently fired her on the job.

We have had wait staff refuse tips in Switzerland, telling us to save the money to give to American waiters.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tipping wait staff in restaurants is the only tipping I do on a regular basis simply because it has been part of the system since I was born.

The current effort to shift employee pay decisions from the employer to the customers by asking for tips for everything, is not good IMHO. Why should I tip somebody 20% or even 10% for handing me a muffin and a cup of coffee across a counter, when I take it to my table, pick up my napkins and utensils myself, get my own coffee refill, and then bus my table at the end. Often I have to clean up the left over mess of the previous customer before I can use the table myself. This service deserves a tip? I think not.

Tipping is out of control.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Actually, not tipping is unethical. You do realize that the tipped minimum wage is $2.13 an hour, and has not been increased for inflation since 1991, right? Whether you think it's a good idea or not, that is how it works now. If you don't like it, work to change the minimum wage laws (I am, even though I tip well, because I think the uncertainty and disparity in tips based on race and gender are harmful). But if you don't want to tip (and you don't live in an area that has eliminated the tipped minimum wage), then you shouldn't go to restaurants. The wait staff is depending on your tips to make the Federal minimum wage.
Disagree completely.

I do like some of the newer restaurants add a surcharge onto the bill from the beginning no tipping required.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I've never received such horrible service that I didn't tip.

I do toss cash in the jar at the counter at my fav taqueria too. They like that and make my food extra good!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
Disagree completely.

I do like some of the newer restaurants add a surcharge onto the bill from the beginning no tipping required.

Disagree with what? Only two sentences of that post were opinion, four of them were fact. If you don't like the existence of the tipped minimum wage, fine, but don't punish the victims of the system, punish the perpetrators -- boycott all restaurants where they allow tipping!
Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't recall a time when I did not tip, though I have had lousy service - however, some of the stories above would tempt me not to leave a tip. I do try to tip generously the workers who perform a personal service for me.
SunBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We always tip.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We usually tip 20% or more. Twice the service was so horrible we left nothing. In our state servers make minimum wage. If we have a coupon we tip on what the whole bill should be. My DIL is a cocktail waitress and shares tips with the bartenders. They are a team to get drinks out fast.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #31

I can't remember in recent times ever stiffing a waiter or waitress. In the Chattanooga area there are many good places to eat (competition) and the service is usually outstanding. I don't mind leaving a 20% tip on a CC receipt and have also slipped the waiter/waitress a twenty on the side, if the service was truly exceptional.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Tipping wait staff in restaurants is the only tipping I do on a regular basis simply because it has been part of the system since I was born.

The current effort to shift employee pay decisions from the employer to the customers by asking for tips for everything, is not good IMHO. Why should I tip somebody 20% or even 10% for handing me a muffin and a cup of coffee across a counter, when I take it to my table, pick up my napkins and utensils myself, get my own coffee refill, and then bus my table at the end. Often I have to clean up the left over mess of the previous customer before I can use the table myself. This service deserves a tip? I think not.

Tipping is out of control.
You don’t have to tip anyone. But let’s see, tipping 10% on a $3.00 muffin would be 30 cents. And 20% on a $5.00 coffee is a dollar. That’s going to break you? For someone probably making minimum wage or a little more, it’s not a practical matter IMO. Most of us here have been relatively fortunate, why not just give a dollar or two as long as whatever service provided is satisfactory? First world problems...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

My wife worked in a restaurant for several years, we always leave a tip. She knows what a pain in the axx many customers can be.
breger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
I'd be embarrassed to routinely leave only 10% or less for good service. Do you frequent any restaurants? If so, they definitely talk about what a cheapskate you are and probably argue over who has to wait on you. I'd feel so uncomfortable going to a restaurant knowing they know and I know I'm going to be a lousy tipper.
Um, no I don't frequent any sit down restaurants.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #35

If it’s a walk up order restaurant I’ll put a buck or two in if I like them. I’m with others that tip because much of it is shared with cook staff nowadays. People have to make a living and there is a low server wage I’m some states.

That being said I’ve not tipped for bad service a number of times. If the server was good and food bad or marginal then I lower tip and have written notes before on the receipt stating all that was crappy about my experience.

If you’re in Europe it’s not expected and I have still tipped some for a good experience.

Some don’t believe in it and some are just cheap. To me if you’re sitting down and dining out then it’s part of the program.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #36

I can't remember a specific instance that was so bad I left zero tip in a restaurant. I do recall leaving tips of <10% when service was substandard. Often, slow service is the result of understaffing, which is the fault of management, not the servers. It's fairly easy to observe what's happening and why. I've been known to tip extra during such times, especially if it's obvious they are trying their best to keep up. I assume others are probably stiffing the servers for the slow service.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Actually, not tipping is unethical. You do realize that the tipped minimum wage is $2.13 an hour, and has not been increased for inflation since 1991, right? Whether you think it's a good idea or not, that is how it works now. If you don't like it, work to change the minimum wage laws (I am, even though I tip well, because I think the uncertainty and disparity in tips based on race and gender are harmful). But if you don't want to tip (and you don't live in an area that has eliminated the tipped minimum wage), then you shouldn't go to restaurants. The wait staff is depending on your tips to make the Federal minimum wage.
That's why I tip higher in the US than up here. Up here no one can earn less than minimum.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

One of the times I didn’t tip was because people that arrived after us received their food and we didn’t. They ate and left and we were still without food. She never checked on us so we couldn’t even get a drink refill. We finally asked another waiter about our food. He went to kitchen and came back and asked what we ordered. I don’t think she ever put the order in. We spent 2 1/2 hours at PF Chang’s and were starving. If we have a low bill then we tip more than 20%. For instance one restaurant has $5 senior meals and the service is great. Leaving only 20% wouldn’t be right.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #39

Seldom do I not leave a tip. Even when service is not up to snuff, most of the time it's pretty obvious that the restaurant is short staffed and the waitron is doing his/her best. I put that entirely on the restaurant management. If they're short staffed, they should close off a section of tables accordingly. People will often come back if the wait is long, but their memory for bad service can be quite long, regardless of where the blame should be placed.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #40

Not a restaurant but I just tipped the electrician that did a few things at the house today. Couple of $20s. First because he is super nice & helpful. Also to get on the "good" list. It took us a full year to find him & his company. So want to be able to call and not get the we aren't taking on more work right now line. It was about 10% of the labor portion or <5% of the total
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote