Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I came close to putting one poster on ignore. There are some things I just don't want to hear about, I get worked up and I can't do anything about it anyhow. But a bit later, that same poster started a thread that I found fascinating, so maybe I would have lost more than I gained. That reinforced it to me, and I haven't even come close since.
-ERD50
FWIW, I have removed some posters from my list after changing my mind/thinking it over and generally been pleased that I did so. Its not like it is a one-way door...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never used the feature. In fact, I'm not certain how it works - if you put someone on "ignore", would a thread just show up missing/skipping any posts by that person?

Generally I'm kind of curious to read even contentious comments. The only thing that might tempt me would be to ignore, as someone else put it, the "gloom and doom" type. I get enough of that from the media!

Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ksr, try going to User CP then clicking on "Edit Ignore List" in the column on the left. Add someone to your list then take a look at a thread they posted on to see the results. Easy enough to do the reverse and remove them once you've satisfied your curiosity...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Many people have no pic, or a pic of their dog, or some other odd thing.
Hey, you want me to feed you to my dog?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Since we mods can't be ignored either (LOL), I don't have to speculate on that junior high school game of whether I'm the most (or least) popular kid on the playground.
I'm not a mod, but my playground days are way behind me as well.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never put anyone on ignore but it is possible I would. There are a few people whose posts I tend to gloss over while reading a thread.

On another forum I did the equivalent of ignoring someone whose posts were never valuable to me and I was always tempted to respond but I knew that doing so was useless.

I personally think it is a terrible idea to tell people who is ignoring them. For example, on the person I ignored on the other forum, I don't think this is a bad person. I would not want to hurt that person's feelings by letting him/her know that I put them on ignore. Telling someone who has ignored them would be uncomfortably close to having people required to go around and tell someone "I don't like you." Ugh.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hey, you want me to feed you to my dog?

That's a face I could never ignore
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ksr, try going to User CP then clicking on "Edit Ignore List" in the column on the left. Add someone to your list then take a look at a thread they posted on to see the results. Easy enough to do the reverse and remove them once you've satisfied your curiosity...
I did it, thanks. It's easy and works very well. I'll keep that in mind if I start seeing too many "the world is ending" posts.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Use me for your control example- we know that works.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Facebook, I assume.
Unless we are still speaking of "Bacon!".
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, some posters have said they think the "ignore" list/count should be made public. To me, that just reeks of 'group think'.
Yeah, that was (very) poor phrasing on my part. What I meant was along the lines of letting the person know what the problem was so that the rest of us can (theoretically) benefit from the "talking to."

I agree, the name of a specific person should not be mentioned out loud. (I have only noticed this happen about single person who haunted this forum long before I showed up -- he is still mentioned periodically.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have placed three, and taken two off, the one that remains no longer post, but i found his post so obnoxious and belligerent, I left him on just in case he ever comes back.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

I've only done it once. I was getting about 25 PMs a day from one forum member and enough is enough.

Quote:
Sorry about that...........I was on a drinking binge that week..........
lemme guess...he wanted pictures, right?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I did it, thanks. It's easy and works very well. I'll keep that in mind if I start seeing too many "the world is ending" posts.
From my POV negative posts (about markets or economics) are just the ones not to ignore. As retired investors we mostly tend to have very optimistic investment outlooks, but I can't see any reason that these optomistic viewpoints should be correct jsut because they are optimistic. Intelligent anaysis is where you find it, not solely optimistic or solely pessimistic.

Negitive posts about the futility of life are another thing, but I haven't encountered many of those.

Ha
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't have anyone on ignore. Haven't been around long enough or interacted with enough people here to know if I ever would. I am guessing I wouldn't, as I have been on another board for years and have never done so. It is just as easy (for me) to skip posts I don't want to read.

But I suspect if I did - it would be for the same reason as FireDreamer. Not because I disagreed with the person's position(s), but more because of they way they delivered it. Some people do have a special "charm" about them.

Lastly, I don't think it is wrong if someone wants to put someone on ignore for whatever reason. The option was put there to be used.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
lemme guess...he wanted pictures, right?
So he says.......
Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah, that was (very) poor phrasing on my part. What I meant was along the lines of letting the person know what the problem was so that the rest of us can (theoretically) benefit from the "talking to."

I agree, the name of a specific person should not be mentioned out loud. (I have only noticed this happen about single person who haunted this forum long before I showed up -- he is still mentioned periodically.)
Opps, it was probably *my*wording that was bad - I (think I) understood exactly what *you* meant!

Hopefully I don't dig a deeper hole, but I think we are saying the same thing - that the person being ignored could be notified, but that would not be made public to others. Some other people (not you) had mentioned a public ignore list with a count attached ( like: ERD50 is being ignored by 311,364 members) , and that is what I see as 'group think'. If I were to put someone on ignore, it would likely be for a totally different reason (actually, probably the opposite reason) than someone else, it just seems silly. It should become obvious pretty quick if you really, really do not want to read a particular poster.

-ERD50
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

Newbie here. Interesting question, an even more interesting replies.

I like having an "ignore" feature. Never intend to use it though. I'm pretty good at mentally ignoring the messenger as it is.

You see, I used to be a frequent poster at 2 - not just 1 - Cleveland sports forums a few years back. You want opinionated sonnuvabitches - er, know it alls? You want personality clashes? You want never-to-be-proven yet certain-to-succeed ways to win at something? Visit a Cleveland sports forum. Any of them.

And if I had the chance to ignore someone I wouldn't have. This forum? I'm still learning. In many ways. Intend to be part of the group who ADDS to the conversation somehow. And I can see two ways I'd ever use the ignore feature:

(1) Somebody who is simply shouting down somebody else.

(2) Trolls. Or more, trolls who are not entertaining and/or bringing up interesting questions.

So far I've encountered what - at one point or another - are posters who fit both of these since late April when I started lurking here. (My SO hates that word so I'm hesitant to use it, even here.)

Regards to the former - there's a thread still probably going on in the other topic forum where s/he is being ganged up on and is still nonetheless arguing the SAME point time and time again. Truth is, it's no longer fun to read the thread. So I'm not. Imagine my lesson last week when s/he started a new thread about something different... about something that means something to some of us here... and found out that most replies were sincere and tried to be helpful!

Compared to a sports forum? This place rocks.

Regards to the latter? I'd like to refer to a specific thread that I missed the start on but got caught up with this weekend. The OP is - IMVHO - a troll. But s/he (a) posted with complete respect for everyone here, (b) asked questions that probably could make for several conductive threads, and (c) even the most critical of posters attacked to post and not the poster.

Yeah, I guess I'm saying it'll take a lot before I use the ignore function. And yes, I'm glad the feature is there!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
From my POV negative posts (about markets or economics) are just the ones not to ignore. As retired investors we mostly tend to have very optimistic investment outlooks, but I can't see any reason that these optomistic viewpoints should be correct jsut because they are optimistic. Intelligent anaysis is where you find it, not solely optimistic or solely pessimistic.

Ha
I guess I should clarify my earlier post. I said my ignore list consist mainly of doom and gloom posters, but it's not just that. It's the manner in which they deliver their opinion. I don't mind negative opinions. Heck, a lot of your post are not always cheery with respect to economics or the markets. But I enjoy listening to your POV. I just can't tolerate these 'I told you so' posters.