Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

There will be certain threads I have no interest in reading, but I can guess at those by their titles...
You must be clairvoyant since many (most?) threads discuss topics that have little or no relationship to the thread title.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Kind of new here, but I doubt I'd ever use the ignore feature. Polite and humble seems to be the best policy on an open forum. I would never purposefully do or say anything that would offend someone enough to put me on their list.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Polite and humble seems to be the best policy on an open forum. I would never purposefully do or say anything that would offend someone enough to put me on their list.
Too bad everyone doesn't follow the same rules.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not one who considers bad posters enemies...

But, I do not put anybody on ignore. I enjoy some of the outrageous posts... if there is something posted that I do not like... I respond... even if they 'attack'... I don't take it personally... even if I 'attack' back... I just enjoy the exchange...

I don't have to put any thread on ignore... I am very capable of only opening the ones I want to read... and there are plenty that I do not...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You must be clairvoyant since many (most?) threads discuss topics that have little or no relationship to the thread title.
Did someone mention BACON?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I expect to see both sides of a discussion here. However, you lose when your argument is based on rudeness and satire. I want to see facts.

I look at Facebook daily. I've found many former friends and co-workers, but I've also blocked or un-friended a handful. I prefer Facebook as a social spot, and I don't think it is the place to spout about religion and politics.

And if you can't put a FB picture of yourself up, don't ask to be friends.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

What does FB mean?

And Orchid, no, you are not on ignore, I just don't have anything useful to say on the topic. Much of what I observe on the board strikes me as unintentional satire. What could be said about this?

Ha
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What does FB mean?

Ha
Facebook, I assume.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Facebook, I assume.
Ah, thanks. I wondered "full body", then I thought what does that mean? That one is naked? That one has a full body"? That the pic is head to toe? These things can become confusing to me.

Ha
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

I don't have anybody on ignore . I tried but was turned down because of forum rules so sometimes I just shake my head and move on. On the whole I find the mix of posters fun and enjoy the discussions . I 've learned a lot about Bonds , withdrawal rates , RV's and the newest gadgets plus a few recipes so thanks everyone !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Facebook, I assume.
Yes, sorry. It made sense when I typed it in. Many people have no pic, or a pic of their dog, or some other odd thing.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
And if you can't put a FB picture of yourself up, don't ask to be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Yes, sorry. It made sense when I typed it in. Many people have no pic, or a pic of their dog, or some other odd thing.
You've been here longer than I have and you don't have an avatar!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Looks like I have 1 person on ignore. He's a one trick pony. Just got tired of hearing his rhetoric. This poster also stopped posting a year ago so maybe everyone else ignored him too?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I put all the clients that either took it out on me because someone else jerked them around before I walked into their office or I found them after their wife chewed them out and they were grumpy or upset on ignore, I'd have had no business or sales at all. I agree with Westernskies that it just doesn't work in business or life. Just IMHO.
Eh...my attitude is that today he's a jerk, tomorrow he's a doll. People are people and just roll with it. Again, just IMHO.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

I've only done it once. I was getting about 25 PMs a day from one forum member and enough is enough.

Sorry about that...........I was on a drinking binge that week..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Sorry about that...........I was on a drinking binge that week..........
Mmmmm, hmmmmm...well next time, how 'bout sharin' a little of that Tanqueray with me?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Let me just say that the ignore feature does work

I only have about 3 folks on ignore. They probably know who they are
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Like other mods, I cannot ignore any poster's actual posts, but I surely will ignore the content. I am a fan of polite discourse, which, sadly, can be in short supply.

The ignore feature is useful in forums such as ours, as it allows participation without rancor (hopefully) and is much appreciated by longtime posters who contribute significantly to the forum with their experience, education, or life lessons but who don't want to get bogged down in petty arguments.

It is a very reasonable solution, in my opinion. Since we mods can't be ignored either (LOL), I don't have to speculate on that junior high school game of whether I'm the most (or least) popular kid on the playground.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I technically have someone on ignore but have to read his or her posts because (deleted) well that person should be ignored.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
(I've been curious about this for forever it seems, so today I ask.)
I've been curious too. Thanks for bringing it up. I have never put anyone on ignore, I am interested in opposing views. If all I want is someone to agree with, there are plenty of mirrors in the house I can talk to.

I came close to putting one poster on ignore. There are some things I just don't want to hear about, I get worked up and I can't do anything about it anyhow. But a bit later, that same poster started a thread that I found fascinating, so maybe I would have lost more than I gained. That reinforced it to me, and I haven't even come close since.

But if other people feel that putting some on ignore is best for their 'mental health' or enjoyment of the forum, I have no problem with that at all. They are free to do as they see fit. If that is best for them, it is all good. And just to be abundantly clear, I am not being sarcastic at all - I really do mean they should do as they see fit, we are all wired different. No right/wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Along that line, I have always wondered why the "ignored" party is not notified of being "ignored." The "ignore" button serves no useful purpose that I can see unless it has a positive and (and perhaps public) effect.
Yes, some posters have said they think the "ignore" list/count should be made public. To me, that just reeks of 'group think'. If you can't figure out who you don't want to hear from on your own, well, I don't even know what to say about that.

OTOH, being informed of who is putting one on ignore might be useful. I imagine 99% of the time it would be obvious, someone went off in a huff over something you said - fine, they can do as they wish. But if someone that you seem to not have any problem with put you on ignore, that might be worthy of one PM, just to ask, Did I say something to offend? Sometimes our meaning is unclear and/or misconstrued. I'd hate someone to go off thinking I said something I didn't intend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
IMO, those who trumpet their use of the ignore feature are self-centered, one-dimensional personalities who cannot tolerate opposing points of view and probably don't play well with others in real life. But, maybe that's just me-YMMV.
It's not just you. I guess I have no problem with someone saying (once), that a certain comment has 'earned' them ignore status. I guess there is no harm it explaining it (esp since one can't actually tell if they are on ignore directly). But when I see it touted by some, I feel like we are back in middle school.

Heh-heh, that was a lot of typing for so few to read

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote