How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Often wondered who uses the "Ignore" feature on this board. Being a strong believer in "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" philosophy, I would never put anyone on ignore.:angel: Just wondering if this is a common practice with most here? And why?

(I've been curious about this for forever it seems, so today I ask.)

I put people on the list when they deserve it. I don't come here to be annoyed and there are some posters who either do little else or have a very low signal to noise ratio. Rather than getting POd and mixing it up with them continually, they get added to the list. I enjoy the board more and trouble the mods less.

FWIW, I will also make use of the ignore thread function if warranted, for much the same reasons.

I would never put anyone on ignore./QUOTE]

I am in this camp also. I have never put anyone (or thread) on ignore and cannot imagine a circumstance where I would. There are, of course, those posts and threads that get skipped over quite quickly but none I would want to hide in the closet. On the flip-side, I can easily see myself on someone's (no one in particular) list -- however, that would create a behavior-modifying situation.

Along that line, I have always wondered why the "ignored" party is not notified of being "ignored." The "ignore" button serves no useful purpose that I can see unless it has a positive and (and perhaps public) effect.

Often wondered who uses the "Ignore" feature on this board. Being a strong believer in "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" philosophy, I would never put anyone on ignore.:angel: Just wondering if this is a common practice with most here? And why?
Those who don't respond to your question probably have you on ignore. :D

I've never put anyone on ingore.

Thank goodness!!!:LOL:

I tend to agree with RonBoyd that people put on ignore should be notified of it, but I know zip about running or moderating a board.

Orchidflower, good thread, It will be interesting to hear the different perspectives on this topic.

In the 2+ years I have been posting here, I have only put one poster on ignore- He went away shortly thereafter, so it became a moot point.

I enjoy interacting with the wide variety of personalities here on ER-org. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from the life experiences and perspectives of (nearly) everyone, even from those whose politics or positions I don't agree with. I love spirited discourse, even if I am vehemently opposed to the other point of view, and know there is no argument that will change their mind. Divergent points of view can be pretty entertaining, and shaking my head at times actually helps to clear the cobwebs...:LOL: Sometimes it's like watching sausage being made, until Porky Pig steps in and objects to the ingredients...

Churlishly putting anyone and everyone I disagree with on ignore would make for a lonely existence, knowing I was interfacing only with likeminded drones. That doesn't work in business or society and doesn't work for me here, either.

If I'm on the secret scrolls of the "Fraternal Order of Ignorance is Bliss", I'm fine with that- to each his own, a one-sided relationship isn't, anyway.

IMO, those who trumpet their use of the ignore feature are self-centered, one-dimensional personalities who cannot tolerate opposing points of view and probably don't play well with others in real life. But, maybe that's just me-YMMV.

I put people on the list when they deserve it. I don't come here to be annoyed and there are some posters who either do little else or have a very low signal to noise ratio. Rather than getting POd and mixing it up with them continually, they get added to the list. I enjoy the board more and trouble the mods less.

FWIW, I will also make use of the ignore thread function if warranted, for much the same reasons.

My feelings exactly.

Hmmm, seems like most of the forum.

I've never put anyone on ignore on any forum. As RonBoyd mentioned, I just skip over members post that I feel don't add much value to a particular thread. As I'm sure some member feel the same way about My Frik'in Dream. :greetings10:

How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

I've only done it once. I was getting about 25 PMs a day from one forum member and enough is enough.

I'm new here, but I don't think I'll be putting anyone on ignore. As they say, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

There will be certain threads I have no interest in reading, but I can guess at those by their titles, so no need for "Ignore Thread" either.

I have 7 people on my ignore list. Six of them stopped posting here months ago (it's probably safe for me to remove them from the list now). The seventh is a long time poster.

I do not add people to my ignore list because of their opinion but rather because of the way they deliver that opinion. I have no patience for ill-mannered people.

I put a person on ignore if they meet the criteria of: 'Never argue with an idiot; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience'.

I can't put anyone on ignore, due to my Admin duties. But if I decided to step down, I would seriously consider putting half a dozen on ignore. On the other hand, I might just DIE of curiousity if I did! :D

Quite a lot of our regular members use the "ignore" feature, and we do recommend it if one is often goaded into unwise retorts (or into nearly making unwise retorts) by the same person. It's a great feature and has made the board a much more pleasant place for some.

Marie, is that a pic of gooseberries in your avatar?

IMO, those who trumpet their use of the ignore feature are self-centered, one-dimensional personalities who cannot tolerate opposing points of view and probably don't play well with others in real life. But, maybe that's just me-YMMV.

That probably sums me up. One reason I wanted to retire was to get away from the idiots I couldn't get along with.;)

I can't put anyone on ignore, due to my Admin duties. But if I decided to step down, I would seriously consider putting half a dozen on ignore. On the other hand, I might just DIE of curiousity if I did! :D

Quite a lot of our regular members use the "ignore" feature, and we do recommend it if one is often goaded into unwise retorts (or into nearly making unwise retorts) by the same person. It's a great feature and has made the board a much more pleasant place for some.

I put people on 'ignore' when I realize my response would get me moderated.

Kind of new here, but I doubt I'd ever use the ignore feature. Polite and humble seems to be the best policy on an open forum. I would never purposefully do or say anything that would offend someone enough to put me on their list.

I am not one who considers bad posters enemies...

But, I do not put anybody on ignore. I enjoy some of the outrageous posts... if there is something posted that I do not like... I respond... even if they 'attack'... I don't take it personally... even if I 'attack' back... I just enjoy the exchange...

I don't have to put any thread on ignore... I am very capable of only opening the ones I want to read... and there are plenty that I do not...

Back
Top Bottom