Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
We can only hope. I just saw a story about a cop picking up roadway debris who got killed by a driver who was texting and talking. She was uninjured, of course.
Reminds me of a book I read a few years ago about a young man named Reggie Shaw who was texting while driving and killed 2 rocket scientists in Utah.

The book is named "A Deadly Wandering" by Matt Richtel. Shaw has been on a campaign to educate others about the dangers of texting while driving.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I seldom talk on the phone. In fact when I retired I turned off my phone and refused to even answer the house phone. Just wanted the freedom. Now I use the phone more for reading books than anything else.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I rarely use my phone.
When I would work, I would phone BEFORE driving off in the car to DW to tell her I was heading home, it was not neurotic but needed.

I worked unrestricted hours so sometimes I finished 1 hour early, or 1 hour late, so the agreement was I would phone when walking out the door, that way she knew she had about 40 minutes until supper.
This kind of made me laugh. I am thinking of your DW looking up a fantastic recipe in the Betty Crocker Cookbook that was handed down from her Mother and cooking it on a Lady Kenmore.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
For all you "poll" folks, sorry...this isn't one.

A few days ago, we had some friends over for dinner and the one of the conversation topics was the use of cell phones and how they have come to rule society. I made a mention about how I rarely make phone calls (with the exception of my Dad's check in once a day) and that I hadn't talked to my DW on the phone in over a month. That's when my friends mentioned that they don't really talk on the phone, either. BUT...they do talk to each other EVERY SINGLE DAY when one of them is driving home from w*rk! Yes, so every day the husband leaves w*rk, he calls to talk to his wife...whom he will see 30 minutes later. It occurred to me that another friend had mentioned that his wife calls him EVERY DAY when she's driving home from w*rk too!

So, am *I* the crazy one? Perhaps I see my DW more often than my friends do since I am retired, but since my DW is still w*rking, I don't think we see each other more often than couples of our age. After the friends left, the DW and had a ling discussion as to if we had communication issues in our relationship. We came to the conclusion that we were good to go (not that there was really any concern) and our friends were just crazy.

So, what say you?
I guess we talk on the phone once or twice a day. Seems to me that you are also asking about communication in a relationship, so I'll address other ways we communicate besides the phone.

Since he sleeps later than I do, Frank calls me every day to tell me he is awake and soon will be ready to go out to lunch. That gives me a little time to get ready before he picks me up. Since we are both retired, and live next door to each other, he usually just comes over when he wants to talk at other times and we sit and talk for hours sometimes.

For example last night he came over to take out my trash (what a sweetie! He doesn't have to, but knows I really love that). Then we talked for an hour or so. He went home, and around midnight he came back because he saw my light was on, and wanted to give me a podcast (on his thumb drive) that he had just stumbled across and thought I might like. We also send at least 2-3 e-mails to each other every day with links that we think sound interesting. We have been known to text one another but we are not used to doing that often since we are old fogies.

Also, just after a doctor or dentist appointment or something like that, I call him to tell him I am done, on the way home, and will pick him up so we can continue our daily adventures (errands, pleasure drive, or whatever).

I think we are very close and communicate more than many couples that live together.

We never talk on the cell phone while driving. If I get a call, I pull over ASAP, park somewhere, and talk from there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
the agreement was I would phone when walking out the door, that way she knew she had about 40 minutes until supper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
This kind of made me laugh. I am thinking of your DW looking up a fantastic recipe in the Betty Crocker Cookbook that was handed down from her Mother and cooking it on a Lady Kenmore.
Too funny! I had the exact same image pop into my mind. 40 minutes should be plenty of notice, so I assume you beat her soundly if the meat and potatoes were not on the table when you walked in the door.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I used to alway talk in my car when I worked 1 hour commute. A couple of times, I was engaged in active conversation and drove right past my turnoff. Handsfree but not brain free!