Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Roughly How Often Do You Wash Your Car(s)?
weekly or more often 13 7.30%
every other week 15 8.43%
monthly 32 17.98%
every other month 14 7.87%
quarterly 26 14.61%
well less often than quarterly 78 43.82%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:How Often Do You Wash Your Car?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:How Often Do You Wash Your Car?

My Dad dragged me out to help him hand wash and dry both family cars every weekend year round whether they needed it or not. I guess I’ve rebelled as an adult. I’d like to think today’s clear coat helps some with washing and waxing?

I know it varies by use, season, local climate and color. And I know the poll options are broad, but breaking it down to exact days (e.g. 14-28, 28-42) seems silly. Just whatever is closest ball park.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

approx monthly, more in the summer, less in the winter (DH likes to hand wash, I will occasionally sneak thru the car wash in the winter to get the rain and slush off)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Once a year, in the spring, is enough for me. I drive very little, about 3,000 miles per year, so the car is rarely on the road. And when it is home, it is kept in an indoor, heated garage, protected from the elements.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have the $15/month package from a local carwash place. Up to 2/day, so whenever we go to town we run it through the carwash.
The old Jeep Liberty? very seldom does it get cleaned.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

Another factor in frequency is (or should be): Color

I had a lovely black SUV for a while, but realized it looks like it's been 3 weeks since washed when it's only 3 days.

Now I have a metallic slate gray, and it can be 3 weeks and look 3 days (unless you look close or run your finger over it).

My desired frequency would be every 2 weeks, but it's probably more like "eh, when it gets bird poop on it".
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

My dear children cured me of my obsession regarding having a beautiful car. First the interior when they were little and now the exterior as they drive the cars. Perhaps I will reacquire it when they all have their own vehicles. So for now I put quarterly depending on how hard the last rain was.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #7

Not frequently, my husband would like to wash it more often. But I would vote more than once in a blue moon, but less than one quarterly. Also we’ve been parking our car outside to make room for space to do home improvement, so it’s not the cleanest.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sports car a few times a month. Other car about once a month.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost never, unless I am using it for a special reason. I live on a gravel road and as soon as I wash it it is dirty again. In the summer, dusty. In the winter, muddy. I gave up trying to keep it clean a long time ago.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

After a snowstorm.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
My dear children cured me of my obsession regarding having a beautiful car. First the interior when they were little and now the exterior as they drive the cars. Perhaps I will reacquire it when they all have their own vehicles. So for now I put quarterly depending on how hard the last rain was.

Lol. Ditto. I’ve gone from 1x per week to realistically 6-10x a year.

2020 or bust!
Or
Perhaps 2021...2022...NVM
Lukeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Every two weeks-ish. Black car parked outside; gets dirty/dusty looking quickly.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You did not include the choice of "when it needs it"...

I have gone months without washing... but sometimes I can do it twice in a month if it gets really dirt for whatever reason...

I do not hand wash anymore... too much trouble... back in my 40s I loved my Acura TL and clay barred it and put on polish... it looked great... now I just run what I have through the car wash and live with the grit being in the cracks...

I will clean off all bird poop and tree sap ASAP... and I have hosed it down sometimes 3 times a week to get rid of leaves and other gunk...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My Dad dragged me out to help him hand wash and dry both family cars every weekend year round whether they needed it or not. I guess I’ve rebelled as an adult. I’d like to think today’s clear coat helps some with washing and waxing?

I know it varies by use, season, local climate. And I know the poll options are broad, but breaking it down to exact days (e.g. 14-28, 28-42) seems silly. Just whatever is closest ball park.
LOL! WOW sounds like my early life also.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

By hand? Never once in.y 66 years. Car wash once a week
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We had two black cars at one time, seemed like I was continually washing them so they looked nice. I gave up on my everyday commuter, after about ten years and washed it only when DW told me how awful it was getting to look. I vowed no more black cars regardless how sharp they look!

Now we have a silvery gray, doesn't show dirt much so it gets washed about once a month or after a beach trip to get the salt off.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Once or twice a year.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have two cars. While years ago we used to make a real effort to make our junkers look better and used rubbing compound, polish, wax etc. as we got older, had kids, and got new(er) cars, we started to ignore it. But my car started to look quite bad, with serious scratches in the paint from dumb things like kids using shovels to get snow off it and stuff. So a couple of weeks ago I started thinking, something has to change here. I called up a detailer. He wanted $800. But I'm FIRE'd, why shouldn't I do this? My car is from 2011 and it's embarrassing to me. My wife's car is from 2006 and she keeps saying it looks awful.

I watched a bunch of videos, figured out how to get rid of scratches with 3000 and 5000 grit sandpapers, and went to work. I spent a little bit of money on a random orbital polisher, bought a bunch of supplies and now both cars look fantastic. I watched videos on how to hand wash cars and again, bought some supplies for about the price of one 10 pack of car washes. These will last us way longer and if we do this every other week, we will keep our cars looking good and our paint protected.
smoghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSAT View Post
We had two black cars at one time, seemed like I was continually washing them so they looked nice. I gave up on my everyday commuter, after about ten years and washed it only when DW told me how awful it was getting to look. I vowed no more black cars regardless how sharp they look!
We bought a new black Audi TT, but we knew what we were getting into and consciously decided we'd do it once - we'll try most things once. It was hand washed and waxed it's entire life to minimize swirl marks, and it looked great when we traded it in - but we'd never do it again, as we expected when we bought it. It's hard to beat the look of a pristine black car, especially at night, but it's more work than most colors.

Glad we checked that one off...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Any time my car change oil. Even though it’s free car wash at the dealer, which is 10 minutes away.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote