Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How old were you on your last birthday?
70 or older 0 0%
60 - 69 34 16.11%
50 - 59 88 41.71%
40 - 49 43 20.38%
30 - 39 35 16.59%
29 or younger 11 5.21%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I used to be in the 40-49...but 2 weeks ago I turned fffifty.
Congratulations! I'm 59 and a half, so I am in the same age group as you. Honestly, my 50's have been the best decade of my life. They are WAY under-rated! Hope yours are terrific as well.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I'm 58 til March. Not long ago, I went jogging with my 32 year-old son. We kid around with one another often, part of the patter. When we were done, he said, "Not bad, Dad, considering you're pushing 60."
well, when you hit 60 just tell people you're nearly in your 50s.

i'm nearly in my 40s & i'm gonna be here for about the next 10 years.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

One 40ish member who will not be at work in 17 more days!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations Fisherman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Congratulations! I'm 59 and a half, so I am in the same age group as you. Honestly, my 50's have been the best decade of my life. They are WAY under-rated! Hope yours are terrific as well.
Thank you...I really appreciate that!

I have to be honest that the idea of being 50 bothered me. I was kind of down about it and DH wanted to make me feel better. So....he e-mailed my old work buddies and told them about the "special" day. I got 7 or 8 calls that day singing the happy birthday song and the question, "well, how does it feel to be 50?" I also got a dozen or so e-mails with condolences on this "milestone."

Guess I can't lie about my age now, huh?

That day I heard from people that I haven't talked to in years. I laughed all day. It felt good.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #26

I'm 52. Turning 50 hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't believe it was really happening to ME. I wanted no party, no gifts, no cards from the old fogeys section. I just wallowed in denial for a while.

After that, 51 and 52 were a breeze.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
And just as an aside, no 70-80 in sight yet? Does that mean that they (like my parents) refuse to enter this brave new world called the Internet?
Heck no! My Mom is 80, and spends time surfing and emailing friends and family every day.....well, actually every night. She gets online about midnight for an hour or two, before she hits the pillows.

Most of her friends, who are also roughly her age...or older....are web surfers too. She has a hand full of friends that aren't online, but that's a very small minority!

She and my Dad started out with the TSR-80's in the late 1970's, starting with the Model 1 and working there way up. From there it was on to Commodore's....she still goes on about how much she liked their old Commodore 64, and wishes she had it back. Then they got their 1st IBM 286, then up to a 386sx, (now a Pentium AND a laptop for travel). Then the internet came home....first Juno dial-up.....now 6.0Mbps DSL.

Besides emailing & surfing, she pays her bills, orders her meds, does her banking, and makes investments online. She's one hi-tech 80 year old Granny!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #28
Administrator

Goonie, that is great! My mother, who would be 98 had she not passed away a couple of months ago, was reasonably computer literate (for her age) back in the 1980's and 1990's. She used to track her investments in Excel, and we would e-mail back and forth every day. Whenever one of us visited her, we would clean the spam out of her e-mail account for her since she had a tendency to just leave it there.

She was not as computer literate as your mother, though. I don't think my mother ever got to the point of paying her bills online or surfing the net on her own, though she thought it was interesting. I think she felt a little intimidated by the WWW and was afraid of picking up a computer virus. She was great at using Excel, though.

During the past few years she was nearly blind and could not continue with the e-mails. My brothers fixed her up with all sorts of technology to deal with it, but eventually she had to have someone handwrite snailmail letters for her, instead. Oh, well!

I am 59, and I feel that while people younger than me are usually computer literate, people older than me often aren't or at least have some difficulties with computers. There are exceptions, of course, including my two older brothers whose careers were founded on their computer/programming skills as was mine.

I can relate to those who have such difficulties. I feel the same way about cell phones! I am trying HARD to push myself beyond that mental barrier so that I not only pay for my cell phone, but actually carry it with me at times. It's tough when you grew up in an era when phones were black, wired, and on a phone table in the entry hall.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Oh no!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #29

Oh no!

Rich, why are you doing this? I'm reminded enough of my age as it is, usually when I get out of bed in the morning. As a 40-something trapped in a 61YO frame, I look at my friends from my youth and wonder what's happened to them, so grey, so wrinkled, so...old looking. Maybe they didn't take care of themselves. Glad I don't look that way.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I'm 52. Turning 50 hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't believe it was really happening to ME. I wanted no party, no gifts, no cards from the old fogeys section. I just wallowed in denial for a while.

After that, 51 and 52 were a breeze.
I turned 50 just as I was newly divorced. That was scary! But I needn't have been concerned. My fifties have been wonderful, and have made up for all the BS I endured during my first half century of life.

I hope my sixties are at least half as much fun. I turn 60 next June, and that thought is pretty unnerving as well. 60 sounds.... old!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Rich, why are you doing this? I'm reminded enough of my age as it is, usually when I get out of bed in the morning. As a 40-something trapped in a 61YO frame, I look at my friends from my youth and wonder what's happened to them, so grey, so wrinkled, so...old looking. Maybe they didn't take care of themselves. Glad I don't look that way.

Painful, huh?

Went to my high school reunion a few months ago (40th) and also noted how old my classmates were. At 35 or so, I noticed how young professional athletes were becoming. When my kids had kids, I marvelled at how that could possibly be happening to my kids. Of course, none of that was related to me (I stay the same).

As I now approach my final year of being in my 50s, I seem to have come to some kind of adjustment. No arguing that the 60s decade is a milestone widely perceived as senior=old=emeritus. I think it's about attitude and good health.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #32

On my 60th birthday, DW hosted a party for me at our new home. She invited old high school friends, former work associates, my choir buddlies, Sunday School class, former neighbors and other miscellaneous friends around the area. It was the quickest four hours I can remember. I never sat down. I don't know if I ever finished the beer I started. Somehow it made the big "six-o" far easier to swallow.

Rich, I recommend you have a party or do something. Celebrate!!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I am 29, blond, thin and independently wealthy - how about the rest of you?

OK, OK - I'll vote...
Can I buy you a cup of coffee?

53 here.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Just turned 60 and I can't believe it .I don't feel any older .I thought by this age I'd be wearing sensible shoes with matching bags .Did not happen !
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think the lack of 70+ here might be related to their level of interest in the topic of early retirement.

Have you noticed how the press report people as elderly when they pass 60? I always thought of elderly as a state of mind not a state of age. But what do reporters know anyway?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think the lack of 70+ here might be related to their level of interest in the topic of early retirement.
Let's hope that's the case rather than a couple of other possibilities:

- no longer mentally competent enough to participate on a discussion forum
- dead

REW, 62 next week

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Let's hope that's the case rather than a couple of other possibilities:

- no longer mentally competent enough to participate on a discussion forum
- dead

REW, 62 next week
Well, if this won't get Jarhead and Charlie out of retirement from the board, nothing will.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
REW, 62 next week
Feeling a little introspective? Hey, when I'm your age I hope I'm as young as you are.

As the golf courses brace for winter rules I was kinda hoping that Jarhead would be back by now, but he's probably spending all his time refining his technique with a Wii golf game.

Besides, Chris Crowley promises that if we quit eating crap and exercise every day then we'll be "Younger Next Year". I'm looking up to guys like you to let me know if that's a lifestyle worth pursuing!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - sooo - how old is retiring from ER - I'm 64 gonna be 65 next year - does that make me retired from ER into 'regular retirement' or do I wait till 66 cause that's when SS says so cause of my birth date.

14 years and still practicing - I will get the hang of this ER thing - before I hang it up and retire to 'regular oldpharthood.'

heh heh heh -
Old 11-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I turned 50 just as I was newly divorced. That was scary! But I needn't have been concerned. My fifties have been wonderful, and have made up for all the BS I endured during my first half century of life.

I hope my sixties are at least half as much fun. I turn 60 next June, and that thought is pretty unnerving as well. 60 sounds.... old!
Sounds like you and I are just days apart in age will hit 59 1/2 on Dec 1 and 60 next June 1st. Have been retired for the past 5 years while waiting for DW to let go of teaching next June! Will probably start drawing from the IRA in January....now THATS scary