Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm using a 15" MacBook that I bought with my DD's Apple education discount when I bought hers....about 4-5 years ago.....had HP's before then and am now sold on the benefits of the Mac....I actually use my old HP monitor as an extra monitor for the MacBook....I only recently upgraded the OS on the Mac in order to be able to use it with my DW's new iPad and the Netflix app on the TV (which I still haven't subscribed to yet!).

I did buy a refurb'd Asus 10" from Woot a year and a half ago.....for something to keep next to the recliner....but it now languishes as the iPad seems to have replaced it....
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I thought you were supposed to warm them up if you wanted to be a father....
Two words: calf fries...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I have an old Dell Latitude D600 laptop which I bought used in 2008. Runs Win XP. It's pretty much patched together (battery, built-in USB ports don't work). (I use a USB PCIMA card and an added USB hub for my USB connections).

Just the other day, I bought a used Dell Mini Netbook. Runs Windows 7 Starter. Cute, sharp display, but I can't look too long at the tiny screen without some eyestrain.

For now that's my hobby computer (brings back memories of the tiny Timex Sinclair 1000 I had way back).
Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a HP netbook, 2 years old, needed replacement battery and screen cover is cracked but not dysfunctional, runs XP, works for me. DWs Macbook is 3 years old and works like new, son's Macbook is 5 years old and still does everything he wants including some serious music mixing. I would get an ipad but with DWs iphone & my netbook we are pretty well covered.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Eww, I googled that. Leave it to a Texan...

They DO make laptop cooling pads on which to rest your laptop, y'know. I got one from CompUSA during their going-out-of-business sale. I like the way that it raises my laptop a little bit so that i can see it better, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Dell Inspiron B130
laptop purchased in 2005
Running on my third battery. I bought a 2nd battery from a 3rd party vendor online to save money. Big mistake as battery #2 lasted only 1 year. Bought an OEM one, 3rd battery still running strong.
Original hard drive had some issues with inconsistent performance once it was > 50% utilized, but it never crashed. Replaced it with a higher storage capacity model, no problems since.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I had Rocky Mt Oysters at a weekend party in Tuscon AZ back in the 90s when I was there for a 2 week optics course.
We techno-geek students attended a BBQ party at a nearby dude ranch. The Western band leader wanted to see if any Easterners had the bollocks nerve to try them. You KNOW I wasn't going to let that challenge go by.
They were actually delicious. The people at my table turned a little green watching me savor them in an exaggerated way for the benefit of the band leader.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My old back-up laptop is a Dell. +1 on the melting!!!
Yeah have a 2 yr old dell studio and i hate it - it nearly burns my wrists when it is on - had an inspiron before that that was fine for 4 years - this one the plug line went bad, drained down the battery, then when I got new plug (which was expensive), battery woudn't juice. I refused to buy a new battery.

So early this year, I got a toshiba portege - I am really happy with it - it is smaller, faster, lighter and was way cheaper than the dumb dell. I think Dell has gone down hill. Toshiba has good ratings on reliability - HP has the worst...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I thought you were supposed to warm them up if you wanted to be a father....
Umm, no. If they were supposed to be hot, they would be inside the abdomen. They like it cool.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #50

Just came home last week with a new 17" Acer 2.0 laptop $398.

Now Ms Grasshopper has my 3 YO Acer 15" 1.7 laptop, which is running wonderfully.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

4.5 years. I'd upgrade, but everything works the way I want on this machine. Lena's newer laptop has some touchpad issue that I've never been able to resolve.

Quote:
Have already had to replace the battery for over $100.
My solution is to get cheap batteries from

The Battery Connection items - Get great deals on Rechargeable AA Batteries, Earphones and Headphones items on eBay Stores!

Some have failed, but they've been replaced for free. At $26, I'll be they last almost as long as a $100 version.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Eww, I googled that. Leave it to a Texan...
I'm really a Yankee Hoosier transplant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I had Rocky Mt Oysters at a weekend party in Tuscon AZ back in the 90s when I was there for a 2 week optics course.
We techno-geek students attended a BBQ party at a nearby dude ranch. The Western band leader wanted to see if any Easterners had the bollocks nerve to try them. You KNOW I wasn't going to let that challenge go by.
They were actually delicious. The people at my table turned a little green watching me savor them in an exaggerated way for the benefit of the band leader.
Gulp...

Based on the menu, someone or something was short on bollocks...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

What is the best way to donate old computers? I am always concerned about the info I have on my HDD.

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #54

I have a MacBook given to me as a Christmas gift in 2006. I like it. I don't do much other than surf the net, e-mail and occasional stock trade on Schwab. My son had to replace the HD in August 2010.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #55

Well, I'd like to get at least another year out of my Dell. I'm interested in the laptops that can send your computer internet wirelessly to the TV screen. (no cord) Can't remember what it is called. Something similar to Wifi.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought a new Toshiba 18 inch and really enjoy it. My old laptop which is 7 years old and is now being used for word processing.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
What is the best way to donate old computers? I am always concerned about the info I have on my HDD.

mP
I think if you have a restore disc that came with the computer to restore the computer back to the state it was when you first had it from the manufacturer, you should be fine.

If you don't have a restore disc, there is free software you can download to wipe your HD clean.

Not long ago, I bought an external HD but after using it for a few days, didn't like so. So before returning the HD for a refund, wiped the drive clean then restored it back to the factory state before returning.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #58

Just purchased new 15 inch MacBook Pro. First time I have purchased a Mac. Prior to that owned Acers (until they became shoddy), Dells, Toshibas...etc. Tired of hard drive crashes and virus software. Taking some getting used but love it...very stable and made extremely well (should be for the price). Far easier to use than Toshiba with Win 7 on it (wasn't sure I could make the move to Mac so tried both ..and chose the Mac).
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Paid over $1,300, ... Is three years all we can expect from one of these now a days?
Ouch! Yes, three years seems reasonable to me, so you shouldn't have paid $1300. Buy cheap, so it doesn't bother you to throw one away when it breaks. My wife is on her third laptop, which is an ASUS 15.6": Amazon.com: ASUS A52F-XA2 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories that I just bought her for $500. I can't recall what the previous two were, but I'm sure I'd never pay $1300 for a laptop. (I get desktops for myself.)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #60

I have never bought a laptop. People give them to me. I have two 600m Dell's, one 1505 Dell, Two B130 Dell's . I see no reason to buy the new ones. These work perfect and I see no speed difference when surfing the internet. I replaced the power jacks on the B130's for a total of $6.00 and a rainy afternoon of my time. I had a person give me an HP Desktop last month. He said it was old and had got really slow. I reformatted it and the thing was fast and ran perfect. I donated it to the school and they love it. I would never in a million years pay what some people do for computers. Just learn a few tricks and a computer will last for 10 or more years. Tom
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote