Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehigh View Post

Jane Fonda was asked, "How do you maintain your youthfulness?". She answered, "By staying curious".

According to Dick Van Dyke, the secret to staying youthful is to "Keep Moving" (the name of his book).

I am surprised I have this much happiness and contentment at this stage of my life. 80's can wait a little longer, but I'm sure when I get there I hope to find just as much joy in my world.

Wherever you go, make sure to bring your own sunshine.
Your post really touched me. I remarried after losing my wife of 30 years,
and now have that happiness and contentment you speak of.

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Souschef....

Old 01-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #83

Both my parents had dementia and passed away in their mid-80's. I spent a lot of time with my Dad in the last week of his life, and was with him when he passed. I don't know what he was experiencing in the end stages. The nurse told me that no-one really knows what end-stage dementia patients go through. Nevertheless, based on what I observed (and what his last words to me were), it is not something I would wish on anyone, and I feel badly that they both had to go through this. I am hoping it skips a generation and doesn't become my fate.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post

I'm beginning to think of myself as one of my old cars that needs a full body off restoration.
Me too, but you'd have to throw in a new PCM to go with it.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

I think seeing my Dad with Alzheimer's a month before he died was the low point in my life. He had always been super active and intellectual (university professor). That last visit he couldn't talk, eat without help, walk. He was a shell.

I saw this picture that really made me question whether Dad was really in there somewhere.

https://www.alz.org/braintour/images...imer_brain.jpg

That fate is my greatest nightmare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #86
Administrator

Back in the 60's, I was living in Berkeley and hanging around the hippie subculture. Seriously, some of them were about as disconnected from reality as an Alzheimer's patient, due to heavy drug usage. They sure couldn't use their minds for anything constructive when they were that high.

Back then the hippies that I knew thought I was nuts to profess a lack of interest in drugs because I felt bored with my mind hampered like that. "Mind expanding", they called it? yeah, right... Pretty colors and patterns, and weird thoughts and emotions, but try reading a challenging book. I did not agree that those drugs were mind expanding.

On this thread, everyone is saying how nightmarish it would be to have Alzheimers'. Well yes, I would prefer not to have it just as I preferred not to take drugs back in the day. However, from the outside looking in, I am thinking it might not be a whole lot worse than the (to me) boring, tedious, and frightening results of over-usage of pot or LSD back in the 60's.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 AM   #87

I had an uncle that passed away about 2 years ago at the age of 96. The last 3 years of his life were spent dragging around an oxygen hose and, for the most part, confined to his home. He was mentally sharp but so very limited. Personally I would rather be dead than that limited.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Me too, but you'd have to throw in a new PCM to go with it.
I guess mine is still "working reasonably well" since I understand what you are saying...... Wait a minute, I'd better check, now where did I put that OBD-II scanner? Not sure where the access port is either (don't answer that)
Old 01-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

How sharp do you think you'll be at 80+ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I just hope to be alive and functional enough not to injure or kill myself out in the yard or in my workshop.

I've been giving that last one a little thought myself. Getting close to setting up my basement workshop after moving to our retirement home. Aging has shown itself over recent years and I don't see that reversing course anytime soon. So I've been considering scaling down my workshop to do smaller projects requiring smaller tools, involving less lifting/maneuvering, generating less dust, and reducing the severity if not the risk of injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If that suddenly happened to me with no warning, then guess I would just have to randomly run out into the street screaming until somebody did something. But then, what if I didn't know what a street was? Or what screaming was? or running? Or why I cared one way or the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
See, that's how most Alzheimer patients end up being, not caring about anything.

So, party on. You will just care less and less.

At last all the over-analyzing is over! There are days that doesn't sound all bad. ;-)
Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If that suddenly happened to me with no warning, then guess I would just have to randomly run out into the street screaming until somebody did something. But then, what if I didn't know what a street was? Or what screaming was? or running? Or why I cared one way or the other?
Which was (kinda) my point. Not knowing where you left your keys is normal behavior (and not age related) which happens to everyone and can be/should be laughed off. Not remembering what a key is would be a warning signal to be taken quite seriously. In any event, I suspect the transition would be gradual not sudden... or, at least, I hope so.

Quote:
On this thread, everyone is saying how nightmarish it would be to have Alzheimers'. Well yes, I would prefer not to have it just as I preferred not to take drugs back in the day. However, from the outside looking in, I am thinking it might not be a whole lot worse than the (to me) boring, tedious, and frightening results of over-usage of pot or LSD back in the 60's.
It could not have been said better.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote