Join Early Retirement Today

How sharp do you think you'll be at 80+ ?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How sharp do you think you'll be at 80+ ?

How will you be when you are over 80. We will assume you make it to that point.

Also how healthy will you be ?

I'll chime in with my guess later on.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

That's a good 15 years away for me. Based on the my "progress" (or not) over the past 15 years, I'd rather not think about it too much, that way I won't be disappointed. I think the mind will be okay, but not sure at all about the body.

I'm beginning to think of myself as one of my old cars that needs a full body off restoration.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

No one in my family has ever had dementia & my Mom is 99 and completely lucid . As for health I have a chronic condition that will worsen with age .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For me that is 10 years away.

My Mom had dementia at 80 that may have been caused by a stroke in her 60's. Dad died young so I have no reference there. I'm the oldest sibling and as far as I can tell, still know my name in the morning. When I am 80+ I plan to be sharp as I am today, but maybe not moving as fast.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

I have no idea. Mom was starting to "lose it" at 83 but could manage day-to-day things well. At 78 my grandfather was fine, mentally. One grandmother was in complete dementia at 90. Nobody else lived to 80.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How sharp do I think I'll be at 80?

I suspect I will have outlived my teeth, probably have a bypass surgery, a hip replacement, new knees, be fighting prostate cancer and diabetes, be half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts, have poor circulation, bouts with dementia, be unable to remember if I'm 85 or 92. But I'll be OK with that - as long as I still have my driver's license.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Will you be still talking about a possible asteroid strike?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully, sharp enough to manage to kill myself if I'm diagnosed with dementia! I cannot imagine wanting to continue to live with a less than functional brain. Am not one of those "Oh, I can still enjoy eating ice cream and looking at the pretty flowers" types of people.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have one friend that I ski with who is 80 and on two board of directors. Another very good friend is 68 an has early onset Alzheimer's.

I'm hoping for the 80 and still skiing!

So... What was the question??
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I suspect I will have outlived my teeth, probably have a bypass surgery, a hip replacement, new knees, be fighting prostate cancer and diabetes, be half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts, have poor circulation, bouts with dementia, be unable to remember if I'm 85 or 92. But I'll be OK with that - as long as I still have my driver's license.
This brings to mind my maternal grandmother who passed away a few years ago at 100. At age 94, she chose to stop driving although she was still able to pass the driver’s test. When I asked her about it, she said she was concerned about safety. I replied, “So you’re having concerns about your driving ability causing an accident?” She responded, “Not at all. It’s the other guy I’m worried about. Imagine driving at highway speed down a two-lane and seeing a 94-year old woman approaching from the other direction. Poor sucker could have the big one. Still, I wouldn’t want him crossing into my lane!”
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #11

I think I will be pretty sharp. Many relatives made it past 90.

Lately, based on some forgetfulness I get once in a while, I do worry a bit about getting Alzheimers and no one even knowing...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Hopefully, sharp enough to manage to kill myself if I'm diagnosed with dementia! I cannot imagine wanting to continue to live with a less than functional brain. Am not one of those "Oh, I can still enjoy eating ice cream and looking at the pretty flowers" types of people.
Assisted dying legislation has passed in Canada and although it is on hold for 4 months it likely will soon become a reality. Still, various friends and family have agreements with one another...

Personally I hope to be mentally sharp until the day I get hit by a bus but one can only hope. Family members that have survived to old age in the past have held up pretty well although there is definitely a trend to increasing dis-inhibition which can make for lively family discussions!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Of our four parents, only 1 made it to 80.

His brain is still in great condition. At 85 his body much less so. Very limited mobility - barely walks. Can still write and deal with correspondence, banking - not well though, hands aren't in great shape.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Based on my parents OK at 80. DF was still guiding fisherman at 85, DM was still golfing and sharp. Five years later her dementia took over, sad. They both had dementia so......
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Like a tack. Just not sure if that applies to mental or physical.

OK, mentally, maybe a bit slower and forgetful, but still functional. Physically, I think I will still be able to ski and run/walk a marathon if injuries don't take me out, and I still want to. Even if I can only take a good daily walk I'll be happy enough.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My 68th is coming up pretty soon. So 80 is just around the corner. Both of my parents died by about my current age.

I cannot imagine myself in decline. Forget about all those rich and powerful and brilliant who succumbed to old age. I'm not going to do that!

So I guess I'll just have to keep on going and hope I stay sharp. I won't decline willingly that's for sure. I'll keep up with vigorous activity and problems that exercise my brain.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If I'm any dumber at 80 than I am now at 73+, I figure I'll be terminally bewildered.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:27 PM   #18

I am still holding out hope that by the time I am 80, I will attain "sharpness"...
In the meantime, I'll just go on being the dull blade I've always been.

My dad was incredible though. Spoke a bunch of languages, could solve just about any puzzle you threw at him, at 88, right up until the body surrendered. He was amazing.
Me? I don't know about me. OK I guess. So far, dementia seems to have spared my genetic pool. But you just never know, do you?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #19

Mom died in her late 60's, dad in his late 70's. So I don't have those data points. 3 of my 40 bio grandparents were dead by 75. But my grandmother on mom's side lived till almost 92. She was starting to get feeble and forgetful - enough that she couldn't live alone anymore and moved in with my sister. But definitely able to hold a conversation, remember names, walk without a walker, etc. I'm planning (financially) to follow in her footsteps. I have one aunt on my dad's side -

My husband's family has longevity... but also dementia. His mom turns 90 in November. She's in a memory unit. But she was doing pretty well until 4-5 years ago... and even after her cognitive decline, she was living independently (with regular visits and support) until last year. Her health is definitely starting to go... not the core functions like breathing, heart, swallowing... but she's hunched, frail, uses a walker.

Since no one on my side has had serious dementia - I'm assuming I'll be reasonably sharp. That's if I'm not dead of cancer first. (Mom, Dad, Brother - 5 different cancers between them.)

My husband will likely life till he's 100 - but mentally decline in his 80's. We've discussed and planned for this.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Hard to say. I am adopted. I searched for my biological mom for many years, but ultimately found her and have an ongoing relationship. She is about to turn 86 and is mentally sharp. Just based on her I feel pretty good about the future.

On the other hand, I was never able to find my biological father so have no clue on that side. So, that creates the most concern for me from heredity.

Health overall? Right now I'm in good health. My bio mother's parents both died in their 70s from different cancers, so that gives me some pause.

I have osteopenia and am close to qualifying for osteoporosis and my bio mother has osteoporosis (which hasn't actually caused her much problems). I would think that it is highly likely that I will have osteoporosis in the not too distance future.

If I get to 80 and I am mentally sharp and have osteoporosis (without having any fractures) as my main problem, I'll be happy with that.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote