Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I'm a classic! (A classic what? I can hear my Irish mother asking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Another classic thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Amethyst, based on your update are you going to change your rating?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm still mulling it over. I think they get a B overall, like a good student who knows a lot, but who messes around too much in class. The grade might be less important to Angie's List members than capturing the logistical things that future customers need to be aware of before they buy.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm still mulling it over. I think they get a B overall, like a good student who knows a lot, but who messes around too much in class. The grade might be less important to Angie's List members than capturing the logistical things that future customers need to be aware of before they buy.
I agree. I try to make my ratings instructive for the next guy, rather than punitive to the company.........unless they really screwed me.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The grade might be less important to Angie's List members than capturing the logistical things that future customers need to be aware of before they buy.
Agreed.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1
Old 04-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Problems can always occur when services are rendered, but how a company resolves a customer complaint shows what kind of company they are. Maybe give them a chance to resolve the matter next time before rating them.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #48

Spent career dealing with contractors, and if offered a deal for "8 hours work" I'd be unlikely to take it. These people are in the business, and the estimator should have had no problem doing an estimate from what you asked for and giving his best, firm price. My experience with contractors working on my property has been mixed and unless I had knowledge from others who knew their work, wouldn't want to be worried they'd be just taking their time for 8 hours. Not what OP's problem was (mainly) but I just don't trust a crew to come work hard on my behalf.

Last crew I had do tree work did a great job, and I enjoyed talking with them and watching their approach. If I had OP's arrangement I'd have been fretting they were taking their time, which they were (and I'll be honest, glad they did as it was all climb to the top and take it down piece by piece).

The older I get and more I look for people to do work I used to enjoy tackling, the more disappointed I am in finding responsive good contractors. Maybe I'll try AL.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I agree with H2ODude's attitude, in that I would have set up a contract to do specifically defined work rather than a set time period to do ill-defined work. A much better option (presuming you can get agreement with the contractor -- not always possible).

I also subscribe to Angie's List, but I've found it to be hit or miss, with a large degree of bias (companies can bias their listings in a number of ways). Still, it's a good starting point for further research.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #50

In general, absent a well defined scope of work = time and materials pricing is typical.

With a well defined scope of work = fixed price is the way to go
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

No doubt, a tightly defined contract would be feasible for the typical homeowner who severely borders his little square of property with white pines or Leyland cypress, plants a row of generic shrubs along the front facade and calls it done. (He/she probably calls the act of planting trees and shrubs, "installation.") However, scope and complexity of the job play a part.

We have a 3-acre property, with unequal borders, and more than 100 trees and shrubs that we planted some 25 years ago and have allowed to go their way since then. I know, it may be mind-blowing for some on the forum to even imagine such an unbounded lifestyle

At any rate, achieving a perfectly defined contract would have required the estimator to tell me exactly how many trees and shrubs, of the 100+ on our particular property, a team could trim in a day; to define "trim," for each tree, when every tree is different; for me to know, in advance, exactly what I wanted done to every one of those trees and shrubs, just by looking at them; and would probably take 3 weeks to write if I could even find a company to accept such a thing.

Bottom line, I was fine running around with them all day to steer them toward the highest-priority trees and shrubs, and occasionally having a discussion about which tree most needed trimming. Right up until the damage and the full chipper truck, all went well and they accomplished more than I expected. If I'd gotten my full 8 hours, and they hadn't wasted time fixing their own damage, all would have been awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I agree with H2ODude's attitude, in that I would have set up a contract to do specifically defined work rather than a set time period to do ill-defined work. A much better option (presuming you can get agreement with the contractor -- not always possible).

Tags
angie's list, customer rating, tree service, value for money, yardwork