Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
In my experience the real concern with a landlord is whether they will actually fix stuff when it needs to be fixed. When the sewer is backing up into the kitchen, you don't want to be dealing with someone who puts you off for a couple weeks.

Personally, I would avoid renting from a do-it-yourselfer. I much preferred the larger, professionally run apartment complexes.
I will only be in this apartment for a few days a month but yeah, you don't want to have a backed up toilet for even a day.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not sure about Buffalo - but here in SoCal you can look up ownership, liens, and forclosure notices. I would do a public records search to verify that you are dealing with the owner and that the property is not in foreclosure.

I'd also google the name to see if anything pops.

Also - if you're worried they're lawsuit happy - again, you can look up civil cases here - if you see the name come up a lot - you should consider that.

But I don't think most smalltime landlords are on angies list or yelp.
I will google search it first and see. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you use USA search or something to find this information?
I signed up for a free, trial account at this site:

PropertyShark - Real Estate Search and Property Information
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I signed up for a free, trial account at this site:

PropertyShark - Real Estate Search and Property Information
Thank you very much. Did you find everything you were looking for here? I couldn't find some of the properties..
Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Thank you very much. Did you find everything you were looking for here? I couldn't find some of the properties..
I just looked up the one he actually rented to make sure the name the property manager told him to make the deposit check out to was actually the owner of the building, and that the property manager (or at least someone with the same name, age and gender) really lived where he said he lived in a nearby apartment in the same building. And yes, the building was listed in the Property Shark site.

I just didn't want to lose the deposit to some Craigslist scammers, trying to rent an apartment they did not own or manage. I don't remember all the details but my son said the CL scammers would advertise really nice apartments for unbelievably low rates. I guess they were looking for people like this:

How I Fell for an Awful Craigslist Rental Scam and What I Should Have Done Differently

"When I tried following up with Kim and the "landlord" to discuss the apartment, I realized both of their phones were turned off. They were unreachable. So I started doing some research -- something I should have done from the beginning. I learned there was no Michael Bryant. And Kim was not renting the apartment. The actual landlord did not grant anyone permission to put an ad on Craigslist and was not renting any of the apartments."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Wow...daylatedollarshort, thank you very much for your comprehensive post. I should really be very, very careful. This story is unbelievable. I have rented the same way this journalist did in the past, but I guess the time has changed...

It seems this particular site is not pulling up some names so I may need to find another site, but this is a good start.

BTW, I see a lot of "flagged for removal" on Buffalo, NY rentals, especially at certain times of the day. It makes one wonder..
Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder how the craigslist scammers got access to the apartment. I have heard short-term airbnb rentals are sometimes used (i.e. scammers rent it for the weekend and show it to prospective tenants).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote