How to cook a piglet?

Before they invaded our property I just called over to the game and fish department and spoke with area managers. Told them what I wanted and that I was willing to travel. After making sure I wasn't going to trap and move hogs around the state they were VERY happy to put me in touch with the local field agents who would tell me where to go.

From what I understand, any small groups of these things that make it over the state border in the southeast portion of the state have thus far been eradicated quickly. I suspect that the state wildlife guys tell the local hunters exactly where to look and put them in touch with field wardens and local landowners. I hope like heck they remain successful in continuing to eradicate feral hogs when they wander across the state border. Would hate to be sneaking through the squirrel woods with a .22 and come across a big one.

From what I understand, any small groups of these things that make it over the state border in the southeast portion of the state have thus far been eradicated quickly. I suspect that the state wildlife guys tell the local hunters exactly where to look and put them in touch with field wardens and local landowners. I hope like heck they remain successful in continuing to eradicate feral hogs when they wander across the state border. Would hate to be sneaking through the squirrel woods with a .22 and come across a big one.

Back when I worked at mega there were hunters that would hunt wild pigs... one guy said he had a 500 pound one running straight at him... said he shot it 5 times with a .45 pistol before it stopped... so I would bet that a .22 would not even slow it down...

Now, I do not hunt, so do not know if this is like a fishing tale or if it was real.... but others were saying they could not believe he did not move at all while being charged... so I tend to believe it...

We will see how it tastes tonight... I am cooking half of one of the pigs... slow cooking on the grill... I think 3 to 4 hours will be enough... just put them on a few minutes ago...

As I said before, if I screw it up... not out a lot....

DW was commenting on my using the sawzall...... no better way to cut it up :)

"And in the Hundred Acre Wood, one resident became worried by the awful turn the conversation had taken."

th

I guess this isn't a case where the site admin will have Porky shut down the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We will see how it tastes tonight... I am cooking half of one of the pigs... slow cooking on the grill... I think 3 to 4 hours will be enough... just put them on a few minutes ago...

As I said before, if I screw it up... not out a lot....

DW was commenting on my using the sawzall...... no better way to cut it up :)

Love to hear how it tastes! Will be here waiting for ya.

Back when I worked at mega there were hunters that would hunt wild pigs... one guy said he had a 500 pound one running straight at him... said he shot it 5 times with a .45 pistol before it stopped... so I would bet that a .22 would not even slow it down...

Now, I do not hunt, so do not know if this is like a fishing tale or if it was real.... but others were saying they could not believe he did not move at all while being charged... so I tend to believe it...

Hogs grow a layer of cartilage around the neck and shoulders as they age. And yes, they can be aggressive. Never heard of anyone being killed by one though. Most of the ones I've run into have learned to run at the sound of metal on metal. Cock a gun and they scatter. Not as smart as many animals though--you can walk up on them with just modest care to not be noisy.

A charging pig would have me ducking to the far side of the nearest tree and trying to climb it as fast as possible. It would not even occur to me to try to bring it down on the run given a choice to do otherwise.

They are renowned for toughness among hunters. One of these days I will get down to hog country and hire a guide to hunt them. When I do so, I will be bringing along a rifle suitable for taking elk.

I have heard from a dude who claims to take them with a .22 short. He stays quiet and still until he has a perfect shot in the ear hole (leads to the brain). If he misses, he climbs a preselected tree quickly...

A charging pig would have me ducking to the far side of the nearest tree and trying to climb it as fast as possible. It would not even occur to me to try to bring it down on the run given a choice to do otherwise.

They are renowned for toughness among hunters. One of these days I will get down to hog country and hire a guide to hunt them. When I do so, I will be bringing along a rifle suitable for taking elk.

I have heard from a dude who claims to take them with a .22 short. He stays quiet and still until he has a perfect shot in the ear hole (leads to the brain). If he misses, he climbs a preselected tree quickly...

I think the guy did have a rifle... the pistol was his backup...

Love to hear how it tastes! Will be here waiting for ya.

Well, not as good as I had hoped... DW took an extra hour to get home and it was overcooked....

The ribs had hardly any meat on them at all... my son took the front leg and it looked good... he said it was OK.. I took some of the hindquarters which was good.. but a bit dry from overcooking... DW thought it tasted great...

Next one I will have to cook less... still, the meat bought from the store has a better flavor IMO...

I have zero experience cooking wild hog, but lots of experience cooking game. Moist heat is your friend. Braising, stewing, etc. are probably the way to go with something like this. If I were in your shoes, I would probably debone as much meat as I could and try a stew.

I have been thinking about cooking things like this recently. I guess I watch to much Andrew Zimmerman stuff. I find it very interesting and need to get over what ever inhibitions I have. Get down to real life survival <smile>.
Love it to say the least.
Steve

I have zero experience cooking wild hog, but lots of experience cooking game. Moist heat is your friend. Braising, stewing, etc. are probably the way to go with something like this. If I were in your shoes, I would probably debone as much meat as I could and try a stew.

I took a rear leg and marinated in apple cider vinegar and then smoked it. Extremely tender. More vinegar taste than one son liked but I like that kind of bbq sauce. Might try that with a more dilute marinade.

As for hunting hogs, I've used .243, 30-06, .50 black powder, and .22Mag. Most of the ones I've seen are <200lbs. They like to rub on trees though and last year I found mud on trees over 4' up the trunk. I'd guess that hog would be about the size of a mid size bear.

Well... did the first one and did a few more sections than a quarter...

I cut the butt portion off... it is pretty narrow behind the ribs and looks like a natural place to cut...

I then took the Dewalt and cut along the spine... I now had a front leg and a rib together... but the legs were basically held by meat.... so I cut them off... cut the spine on the other side and did the same..

Sooo, have one butt, two rib sections, two front leg sections and the back spine (which has a good amount of meat on it)....

Now trying to think if there is a better way after doing this.... but so far cannot think of one....

You are doing fine...really ....Now rinse off, Rub the meat down with a good spice mix inside and out. Inject the joints and deep tissue with some soy
sauce.....Now get those turkey bag(s) put the treated quarters into
the oven on 200 degrees for 10 hours or so....enjoy. (after this process,
you can get the bbq sauce out and make some great pulled pork sandwiches).

You are doing fine...really ....Now rinse off, Rub the meat down with a good spice mix inside and out. Inject the joints and deep tissue with some soy
sauce.....Now get those turkey bag(s) put the treated quarters into
the oven on 200 degrees for 10 hours or so....enjoy. (after this process,
you can get the bbq sauce out and make some great pulled pork sandwiches).

Thanks... I will try that on the next one....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom