Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm pretty sure they used singeing in the islands. I don't know if that happened naturally over the open fire, or they used something handheld.

They were roasting domestic hogs, so not a heavy hair coat.
OK, wild hogs stink (especially males). Pouring boiling water on them to loosen the hair would be bad. But burning hog hair would be even worse!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Artinker,
There appears to be a huge difference between the amount of hair on domestic vs. feral hogs. Domestic while having hair don't appear to have near the amount of hair as a feral hog. Then there's the age difference.

Odd thing about this state they have destroyed thousands of acres and you are allowed/encouraged to responsibly harvest them 365 days a year. However the conservation department won't publish data to find areas that would benefit the most.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Artinker,
Odd thing about this state they have destroyed thousands of acres and you are allowed/encouraged to responsibly harvest them 365 days a year. However the conservation department won't publish data to find areas that would benefit the most.
The wild hogs really can make a mess of things. Maybe your local hunting organizations would be a source for info on where they can best be hunted. Or just get a haircut at a rural barbershop at a busy time and ask the question--folks there will know where to go.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Samclem that's a great idea. Funny you mention rural barber, I go to one he's got some family further out. Fantastic idea!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Artinker,
There appears to be a huge difference between the amount of hair on domestic vs. feral hogs. Domestic while having hair don't appear to have near the amount of hair as a feral hog. Then there's the age difference.

Before they invaded our property I just called over to the game and fish department and spoke with area managers. Told them what I wanted and that I was willing to travel. After making sure I wasn't going to trap and move hogs around the state they were VERY happy to put me in touch with the local field agents who would tell me where to go.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Before they invaded our property I just called over to the game and fish department and spoke with area managers. Told them what I wanted and that I was willing to travel. After making sure I wasn't going to trap and move hogs around the state they were VERY happy to put me in touch with the local field agents who would tell me where to go.
From what I understand, any small groups of these things that make it over the state border in the southeast portion of the state have thus far been eradicated quickly. I suspect that the state wildlife guys tell the local hunters exactly where to look and put them in touch with field wardens and local landowners. I hope like heck they remain successful in continuing to eradicate feral hogs when they wander across the state border. Would hate to be sneaking through the squirrel woods with a .22 and come across a big one.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
From what I understand, any small groups of these things that make it over the state border in the southeast portion of the state have thus far been eradicated quickly. I suspect that the state wildlife guys tell the local hunters exactly where to look and put them in touch with field wardens and local landowners. I hope like heck they remain successful in continuing to eradicate feral hogs when they wander across the state border. Would hate to be sneaking through the squirrel woods with a .22 and come across a big one.
Back when I worked at mega there were hunters that would hunt wild pigs... one guy said he had a 500 pound one running straight at him... said he shot it 5 times with a .45 pistol before it stopped... so I would bet that a .22 would not even slow it down...

Now, I do not hunt, so do not know if this is like a fishing tale or if it was real.... but others were saying they could not believe he did not move at all while being charged... so I tend to believe it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We will see how it tastes tonight... I am cooking half of one of the pigs... slow cooking on the grill... I think 3 to 4 hours will be enough... just put them on a few minutes ago...

As I said before, if I screw it up... not out a lot....

DW was commenting on my using the sawzall...... no better way to cut it up
Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
"And in the Hundred Acre Wood, one resident became worried by the awful turn the conversation had taken."

I guess this isn't a case where the site admin will have Porky shut down the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We will see how it tastes tonight... I am cooking half of one of the pigs... slow cooking on the grill... I think 3 to 4 hours will be enough... just put them on a few minutes ago...

As I said before, if I screw it up... not out a lot....

DW was commenting on my using the sawzall...... no better way to cut it up

Love to hear how it tastes! Will be here waiting for ya.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Back when I worked at mega there were hunters that would hunt wild pigs... one guy said he had a 500 pound one running straight at him... said he shot it 5 times with a .45 pistol before it stopped... so I would bet that a .22 would not even slow it down...

Now, I do not hunt, so do not know if this is like a fishing tale or if it was real.... but others were saying they could not believe he did not move at all while being charged... so I tend to believe it...
Hogs grow a layer of cartilage around the neck and shoulders as they age. And yes, they can be aggressive. Never heard of anyone being killed by one though. Most of the ones I've run into have learned to run at the sound of metal on metal. Cock a gun and they scatter. Not as smart as many animals though--you can walk up on them with just modest care to not be noisy.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

A charging pig would have me ducking to the far side of the nearest tree and trying to climb it as fast as possible. It would not even occur to me to try to bring it down on the run given a choice to do otherwise.

They are renowned for toughness among hunters. One of these days I will get down to hog country and hire a guide to hunt them. When I do so, I will be bringing along a rifle suitable for taking elk.

I have heard from a dude who claims to take them with a .22 short. He stays quiet and still until he has a perfect shot in the ear hole (leads to the brain). If he misses, he climbs a preselected tree quickly...

- George Orwell

Old 03-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A charging pig would have me ducking to the far side of the nearest tree and trying to climb it as fast as possible. It would not even occur to me to try to bring it down on the run given a choice to do otherwise.

They are renowned for toughness among hunters. One of these days I will get down to hog country and hire a guide to hunt them. When I do so, I will be bringing along a rifle suitable for taking elk.

I have heard from a dude who claims to take them with a .22 short. He stays quiet and still until he has a perfect shot in the ear hole (leads to the brain). If he misses, he climbs a preselected tree quickly...
I think the guy did have a rifle... the pistol was his backup...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Love to hear how it tastes! Will be here waiting for ya.
Well, not as good as I had hoped... DW took an extra hour to get home and it was overcooked....

The ribs had hardly any meat on them at all... my son took the front leg and it looked good... he said it was OK.. I took some of the hindquarters which was good.. but a bit dry from overcooking... DW thought it tasted great...

Next one I will have to cook less... still, the meat bought from the store has a better flavor IMO...
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have zero experience cooking wild hog, but lots of experience cooking game. Moist heat is your friend. Braising, stewing, etc. are probably the way to go with something like this. If I were in your shoes, I would probably debone as much meat as I could and try a stew.

- George Orwell

Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 AM   #36

I have been thinking about cooking things like this recently. I guess I watch to much Andrew Zimmerman stuff. I find it very interesting and need to get over what ever inhibitions I have. Get down to real life survival <smile>.
Love it to say the least.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #37

Quote:
I have zero experience cooking wild hog, but lots of experience cooking game. Moist heat is your friend. Braising, stewing, etc. are probably the way to go with something like this. If I were in your shoes, I would probably debone as much meat as I could and try a stew.
I took a rear leg and marinated in apple cider vinegar and then smoked it. Extremely tender. More vinegar taste than one son liked but I like that kind of bbq sauce. Might try that with a more dilute marinade.

As for hunting hogs, I've used .243, 30-06, .50 black powder, and .22Mag. Most of the ones I've seen are <200lbs. They like to rub on trees though and last year I found mud on trees over 4' up the trunk. I'd guess that hog would be about the size of a mid size bear.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Well... did the first one and did a few more sections than a quarter...

I cut the butt portion off... it is pretty narrow behind the ribs and looks like a natural place to cut...

I then took the Dewalt and cut along the spine... I now had a front leg and a rib together... but the legs were basically held by meat.... so I cut them off... cut the spine on the other side and did the same..

Sooo, have one butt, two rib sections, two front leg sections and the back spine (which has a good amount of meat on it)....

Now trying to think if there is a better way after doing this.... but so far cannot think of one....
You are doing fine...really ....Now rinse off, Rub the meat down with a good spice mix inside and out. Inject the joints and deep tissue with some soy
sauce.....Now get those turkey bag(s) put the treated quarters into
the oven on 200 degrees for 10 hours or so....enjoy. (after this process,
you can get the bbq sauce out and make some great pulled pork sandwiches).
1vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1vertical View Post
You are doing fine...really ....Now rinse off, Rub the meat down with a good spice mix inside and out. Inject the joints and deep tissue with some soy
sauce.....Now get those turkey bag(s) put the treated quarters into
the oven on 200 degrees for 10 hours or so....enjoy. (after this process,
you can get the bbq sauce out and make some great pulled pork sandwiches).
Thanks... I will try that on the next one....