Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Any recipe for salmon will be suitable for steelhead trout. We like ours oven broiled with a light sauce over it.
Yup! Broiling this type of fish nets (heh) a perfect combination of crisp outside tender inside.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hope nobody has suggested this as I haven't time to read the entire thread yet, but we eat of fish here (perch, catfish, talapia, etc.):

One trick we do is to (got this in Louisiana at a Cajun fish fry there):

Brush French's yellow mustard on both sides of the fish first and then roll the fish in whatever breading we have purchased (premade like Louisiana Fish Fry or comparable brand of breading for fish). Gives the fish a slightly tart taste. Delicious.

For sauce this is from the Drake Hotel in Chicago where my son was a Chef for awhile:

Take hot sauce (we use lots of brands from Mexico and not Tabasco) and mix it with equal amounts of Hellman's mayo--plus a few squirts of real lemon--mix and use it for the dip. Just delicious!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #43
Administrator

I love fish. I love, love, love it.

I would love fish prepared with ANY of the recipes above! I am salivating just reading this thread.

The only tip I would add for cooking fish, is to make sure it is as fresh as possible. Other than that, you just can't go wrong (in my opinion). I have even been known to just dry grill fish on my George Foreman grill and enjoy it like that. Or, cook fresh-caught fish on a grate over a campfire.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I mentioned earlier my aversion to most fish. I, actually, love fish and would eat it daily but the quality has suffered so that it is a (very expensive) gamble when shopping. I'm not sure that the health issue plays a very important role but Let me google that for you.

Quote:
Tilapia is fish, so we should eat more, right? Wrong, a new study by researchers at the Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, suggests that farm-raised tilapia may be worse for your heart than eating bacon or a hamburger.
It is more the lack of texture and taste that farm-raised fish have.

Again (and I'm getting tired of this) I have to bring up Mark Bittman:

Loving Fish, This Time With the Fish in Mind

Quote:
IN 1994, I published my first book, “Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking.” The premise was straightforward: if you buy fish fresh and cook it simply, you’ll eat well. ... Merely buying a piece of fish has become so challenging that when my publisher asked if I wanted to revise the book, I felt I had to decline. The cooking remains unchanged, but the buying has become a logistical and ethical nightmare. (Prices are no longer exactly friendly, either.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wish someone would dump a pile of walleye in my freezer! We fish for walleye all year, including through the ice. If we don't make fish frys out of the fillets we'll bake it - spray the pan, lay the fillets out, cover with a mixture of mostly blue cheese dressing mixed with a bit of horseradish, then sprinkle seasoned breakcrumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I'm getting hungry just typing this out.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1958 View Post
Wish someone would dump a pile of walleye in my freezer! We fish for walleye all year, including through the ice. If we don't make fish frys out of the fillets we'll bake it - spray the pan, lay the fillets out, cover with a mixture of mostly blue cheese dressing mixed with a bit of horseradish, then sprinkle seasoned breakcrumbs over the top and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I'm getting hungry just typing this out.
Yeah - that's making my mouth water just reading it! And I just had lunch!

Audrey
Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, I pulled a chunk of walleye out for supper. I am going to try the blue cheese thing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #48

On Salmon. When I was in Alaska we used a simple beer, butter garlic mix, a quick minute or so in the hot mix. Used the same bbg mix for king crab.

All of which we got fresh either by catching or for a minimum of bucks right off the fishing boats.

The amounts of beer, butter and garlic depended on who was cooking, drinking the beer, or the availability of the other two ingredients.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We got a half pound of mahi-mahi yesterday (fillet, about .5 inches thick) and here's how I cooked it.

I removed the skin with a fish fillet knife. I chopped a handful of macademia nuts until they were powdering with some chunks. I pressed the nuts onto both sides of the fish, then put it in the fridge for an hour.

I heated a cast iron skillet for several minutes on high, then added canola oil. and added the fish. I turned the heat down to about 4/10. I put a pat of butter on top of the fish. I put a cover on loosely.

I cooked it for four minutes on the first side, and three on the second. I cut it open to make sure it was cooked through.

It was quite good.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #51

Dishwasher Fish

Bob Blumer's Dishwasher Salmon
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The great thing about this method is that the cooking smell is contained! After your fish is cooked in the dishwasher you can just gently lift it out, transfer to a tightly folded foil packet, quickly place packet in outdoor garbage container, and go to Sonic Burger.

(lacking in much fishy enthusiasm here - all the wonderful spices and sauces sound like they would be super on rice for a 1/20th the cost and no little bones - or chicken - or next to cow)
Old 11-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

All the recipes and techniques you folks have posted sure sound like they'll produce tasty fish! But aren't ya forgetting something.... ? It's LOCATION that really matters. Here is shore lunch on Gull Rock Lake just south of Red Lake, Ontario. Emmmmm...... Fish just tastes better out where ya catch 'em. Especially if that place is remote and hard to get to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mealcooking.jpg (21.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Hey, I pulled a chunk of walleye out for supper. I am going to try the blue cheese thing.
Let us know how that works out. I just finished summer of '08's fish and am just getting started on this past summer's, so I need to pick up the pace! DW won't let me deep fry inside and it's starting to get to be a little chilly for cooking on the picnic table outside. Usually don't care too much for baked fish but some of the recipes listed here do sound pretty good.......
Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #55

I would love to live somewhere that had really good fresh seafood available on a daily basis. I would eat it more if I didn't have to practically hold my nose when I pass the seafood counter at my grocers. And pay prime dollar for it to boot. Tonight I pulled a few handfuls of past-their-prime vegetables out of my refrigerator bins and am roasting them with olive oil in a hot oven. Will grate some Parmesan on top when finished.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Let us know how that works out. I just finished summer of '08's fish and am just getting started on this past summer's, so I need to pick up the pace! DW won't let me deep fry inside and it's starting to get to be a little chilly for cooking on the picnic table outside. Usually don't care too much for baked fish but some of the recipes listed here do sound pretty good.......
It was simple to do and very tasty. I'll try it again.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

The hands down best and easiest method for cooking any fish is grilling -- we use a gas grill. It is quick and very tasty. No mess either. My husband has become an expert in cooking this way, and we use the fish pieces on dinner salads. Yummmmm!!